Poll: What do you think is best solution for a mid range metal tube amp?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think is best solution for a mid range metal tube amp?
Peavey 5150
4 18%
Peavey Ultra or XXX
0 0%
Peavey JSX
3 14%
Peavey VK with heavy modifications
0 0%
Bugera 333xl
0 0%
B-52 AT100
0 0%
Mesa Dual Rectifier
14 64%
Other (Please post your option)
1 5%
Voters: 22.
Alright I had to edit this due to needing a new cab as well as a head. So here are some amps I am considering: Peavey JSX, XXX/Ultra, 5150, B-52 AT100, or a Bugera. There's no way I will be able to find a Mesa for under $650.

I would like to spend no more than $600 on a tube amp head. And around 300-400 for a cab.

Please don't suggest valvekings, I have tried them out, and I have heard bands play with them; and I am not impressed.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Last edited by UrzasJ00rMom at Aug 31, 2008,
Check also Crate amps.
GEAR:
guitars - ESP Eclipse-II FM, ESP LTD M-50, crapy classic guitar.
amps - Rivera Venus 3, Rocktorn Rampage 20R.
and crapy pedal of Digitech.
The JSX has a very tight sound, and I think it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to pull of death metal without a couple of pedals. Do you have any/ looking to buy any? If so, I think a JSX is a wonderful amp but may not be right for your type of music. Have a look at one nevertheless.

Have a look at a Marshall JCM900 and a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb perhaps?
Quote by akack
The JSX has a very tight sound, and I think it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to pull of death metal without a couple of pedals. Do you have any/ looking to buy any? If so, I think a JSX is a wonderful amp but may not be right for your type of music. Have a look at one nevertheless.

Have a look at a Marshall JCM900 and a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb perhaps?

I actually had a JSX combo to try out for about a week (it was a friend of my dads') I thought it sounded pretty darn good and could get pretty heavy. Although I have limited playing experience with nicer tube amps. I have only played on the jsx, and the 6505.

I'm not a very big fan of marshals although I will admit I have not tried any of their higher end products since they are quite expensive.

Mesas are few and far between in my price range. I would love to try one out as I have never heard anything bad about them.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
The JSX are immense amps, it's just that I don't think it can give you that "wall of distorted sound" most death metal requires. For sure look into the Dual Recto/Single Rectoverb or the JCM900 mate, they're brilliant amps.

Anyone have any more advice? I have been checking craigslist daily but haven't really seen any good deals.

I know pawn shops around here have musical equipment but nobody ever mentions checking them out. Is there a reason for that?
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Mesa Mark III
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom

Bugera (is there reliability really as bad as I am led to believe?)

Yes...and no.

They are assembled in China and sometimes the little boys and girls forget to solder things. When they blow, it's within the first two week break-in period.

I've had to send one back...the shipping was totally free.

The one I have now, I am extremely happy with.

Great bang for the buck even after the hassle.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa Mark III

Very unlikely that I'll find one of those lol. I've never seen one in my local area.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
Very unlikely that I'll find one of those lol. I've never seen one in my local area.

If you can find a Mark IV to try, it's basically the same thing, just a little more aggressive sounding.

Either that or go for a Rect/Trem-O-Verb, F-50/100 or DC-5/10.

It's not that I'm pushing Mesa, just that I'm giving you amps that will be the most versatile, just in case you ever change what you want to play, but still get heavy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Alright it looks like I'm going to have to buy a cab too so I'm looking at about $550 for an amp and 300-400 for a cab.

What cabs would you suggest? I am looking at a 2x12 Vader cab. I don't know that much about cabs but the 2x12 avatar cabs are usually only rated for 120 watts and I'm concerned that a 120 watt amp (like a 5150) could produce higher peek watts than that.

Any info would be great!
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
Alright it looks like I'm going to have to buy a cab too so I'm looking at about $550 for an amp and 300-400 for a cab.

What cabs would you suggest? I am looking at a 2x12 Vader cab. I don't know that much about cabs but the 2x12 avatar cabs are usually only rated for 120 watts and I'm concerned that a 120 watt amp (like a 5150) could produce higher peek watts than that.

Any info would be great!

Why dont you get a combo... (yes I had to ask)
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mesa Mark III

Win!
Quote by Highwaytohell
Why dont you get a combo... (yes I had to ask)

I don't mind getting a combo if I find a good deal on one but they are awkward to carry, cost more to ship, and don't look as appealing to me.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
First off as long as the cab has the same amount of watts as the amp you're set. It's true amps are rated clean and can make more wattage than that, but speaker makers know this and most speakers can take more than their rated wattage. There's also the fact that you're probably not gonna be cranking a 120 watt amp so you're probably not gonna be getting much power amp distortion.

Second, don't buy an amp based on looks. Buy based on tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not