So I've read the sticky and am working on my posture and finger independence. I am playing chromatics at 25 BPM with accuracy and control. Am I allowed to play anything else that is faster? Or will it stuff up my quest for accuracy and conrol?
Quote by Myung-trucci
So I've read the sticky and am working on my posture and finger independence. I am playing chromatics at 25 BPM with accuracy and control. Am I allowed to play anything else that is faster? Or will it stuff up my quest for accuracy and conrol?

Bear in mind that chromatics itself is a very limited exercise. If you do it too much all you're doing is training your hands to play chormatics very quicky...how often are you going to want to do that when you're actually playing?

By all means bump up the speed by 5bpm and see how you get on, just don't worry about them too much. A lot of players throw out the speed they can do chromatics and scale runs as some kind of badge of honour when they're just worthless figures outside of your own practice regime. Freakish ability in a couple of exercises does not a good musician make, so make sure your practice routine is built around things that are going to have some practical benefit when it comes to playing. Nobody else cares how fast somebody can do exercises and they sure as hell don't want to listen to it!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^+1, normal 1234 chromatics will not help you a whole lot with finger independence. However, there are plenty of ways to make them more useful. For example:

- Mix up the order of the fingers. There are 24 different combinations of these, so figure out what they are and use them!
- Do these combinations on a single string (good for position shifting)
- Do them with one note per string, aka, "the spider" (use alternate picking):

e---1-----------1-----------
B------2-----------4--------
G---------3-----------3-----
D------------4-----------2--
Etc. PinkEdit: Fixed the tab. Thanks shred.
- Play chords with the spider shapes. This forces you to move all of your fingers into very awkward positions quickly, and they have to be independent to do that
- If at any time you need a bigger challenge with any of these, just put more frets between the notes for bigger stretches.

Also check out this blog by Freepower, at the bottom there is a list to a bunch of exercises, which I think you can also find in the Guitar Pro exercises thread.
Last edited by which ones pink at Aug 30, 2008,
I think you messed up your spider a bit....it looks like you are playing more than one note at once...

Here's some basic spider exercise ideas. I have more if you want em, courtesy of Freepower, Steve Vai, a former instructor of mine, and myself

Steve Vai's "Angular Exercises" (3 variations)                                
  S                                              S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S  
--1----------------------------------------------2---3-----4-------------------|
---------------------------------------------------1---2-----3-----4-----------|
---------------------------------------------------------1-----2-----3-----4---|
-----------------------------------------------------------------1-----2-----3-|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------1-----|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S    S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S       
----------------------------------|--------------------1-----2---3-4-|----|
----------------------------------|------------1-----2-----3---4-----|----|
----------------------------------|----1-----2-----3-----4-----------|----|
------4---------------------1-----|--2-----3-----4-------------------|----|
--2-----3---4---------1---2-----3-|------4---------------------------|----|
----1-----2---3-4-1-2---3-----4---|----------------------------------|----|

--4-3---2-----1-------------------|----------------------------------|
------4---3-----2-----1-----------|----------------------------------|
------------4-----3-----2-----1---|----------------------------------|
--------------------4-----3-----2-|------1---------------------4-----|
----------------------------4-----|--3-----2---1---------4---3-----2-|
----------------------------------|----4-----3---2-1-4-3---2-----1---|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S         S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S  
--------------------4-----3---2-1-|----|--4-2---3-----1-------------------|
------------4-----3-----2---1-----|----|------4---2-----3-----1-----------|
----4-----3-----2-----1-----------|----|------------4-----2-----3-----1---|
--3-----2-----1-------------------|----|--------------------4-----2-----3-|
------1---------------------------|----|----------------------------4-----|
----------------------------------|----|----------------------------------|

----------------------------------|--------------------4-----2---3-1-|----|
----------------------------------|------------4-----2-----3---1-----|----|
----------------------------------|----4-----2-----3-----1-----------|----|
------1---------------------4-----|--2-----3-----1-------------------|----|
--2-----3---1---------4---2-----3-|------1---------------------------|----|
----4-----2---3-1-4-2---3-----1---|----------------------------------|----|
Quote by steven seagull
Bear in mind that chromatics itself is a very limited exercise. If you do it too much all you're doing is training your hands to play chormatics very quicky...how often are you going to want to do that when you're actually playing?

very good point, and the answer is..... practically never.

TS:
Try playing some actual music that requires the use of all the fingers. Simple as that.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by which ones pink

- Mix up the order of the fingers. There are 24 different combinations of these, so figure out what they are and use them!

If you apply a sequence of 4s these you get some very good exercises too, if your looking for a more challenging version. I use this version as my warm up. Because it's kind of a brain scrambler, you have to really concentrate on it, so I think this helps get me out of work mode and into guitar mode faster.
Quote by Myung-trucci

Yes. It's mostly common sense, play faster stuff, but watch out for any reverse goodness extrapolation that could undo some of what you're achieving with the super slow practice.

The only situation I could imagine spending some time only practicing super slow, was if a player had a very serious flaw in his technique that was very ingrained that he was trying to fix.