Page 1 of 5
Why?

1. It's significantly cheaper
2. Class sizes are smaller
3. Course work is more focused
4. Instructors are less pretentious
5. It's damned cheaper.

Thoughts?
1. If an employer looks at applications for two employees, sees one went to CC and one went to Uni, he'll take the Uni.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
junior college is high school with no attendance. it doesnt focus on academics, more technical stuff.

it is basically where you prolong your eventual dropping out of college
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Great place to take care of your Gen-Eds, though.
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
You don't get a bachelors degree at a CC...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Sounds like something someone with the intelligence of a CCer would dream up.

To be honest that's easily the stupidest thing I've heard all year.

The only way it's better, is if you are too stupid to get into uni.
Quote by daeqwon10000
It's where the idiots go

ignantsackashetalert
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by tona_107
Sounds like something someone with the intelligence of a CCer would dream up.

To be honest that's easily the stupidest thing I've heard all year.

The only way it's better, is if you are too stupid to get into uni.

lol
Quote by guitar/bass76
Sounds like someone's justifying...

I have to agree.

There is NO way that community college is a great as university.

I can not become a practicing doctor by going to community college. Your course must suck if you can get better at a CC.
I'm at a Uni, but CC is perfectly legit. I know plenty of people going to CC for various circumstances, none of them any less intelligent than myself.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
well after 4 years or wateva ur ****ed
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
cc arnt bad, you go there to do GE then you transfer, saving yourself hella money. its the smart thing to do.
My Gear

Dime Razorback Explosion
Line 6 75w half stack
Dean MLX EMG-hz
Line 6 30w combo
Community College is great and all, but it sounds like you wrote that to make yourself feel better.

Its okay man, we won't think any less of you.

Well, I won't. Everyone else on here probably will.
i'm going to a CC and am paying rent on a house, yet i pay less for a year than anyone pays for half-time one semester at a Uni and stays with their parents.

Theres also the fact that non-resident freshmen usually have to use the dorms, and most colleges won't give them parking passes.

i'm smart enough for Uni, just too poor. after my associates i'm transferring to a Uni, but I won't have to pay that higher rate that non-resident freshmen have to pay.

trust me, ten years after you graduate people won't care what college you went to. people from Harvard don't look around for other Harvard grads, they simply notice it if you have something displayed.

edit: i forgot to mention that the CC i'm attending actually has a couple of programs beyond associates. i know it has a nursing program, though nursing is something thats pretty darn popular nowadays (it seems every college and uni in Michigan has a nursing program). not lucrative, but there's still availability for nurses.
Last edited by dudius at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by darkstar2466
ignantsackashetalert

Ignorant Sack Of **** Alert?!?!?!?! OH NO QUICK GET THE ENCYCLOPEDIA AND ALL THE SCOTT'S 2 PLY YOU CAN!

EDIT:I only said what I said earlier cause I am probaly going to a community college before I got to a university
Last edited by daeqwon10000 at Aug 29, 2008,
I went to Uni for 2 semesters, and proceeded to drop out since that was the only way I could get them to drop the charges. After that, I spent 3 years in CC basically building a staggering monument of class credits that wouldn't transfer and were good for precisely jack shit, and eventually said "To Hell with it".

I then proceeded to work as a chef and bartender for 2 more years, then received a loan for my own place, built it into 4 locations, and presto! Look at me now.

The point is, once you realize that nowadays degrees are looked upon with the same thoughts reserved for High School diplomas, and for the most part, are complete and utter BULLSHIT, not too mention a waste of time, you'll be alright.

Please note that my career path won't work for everyone, and most of you will attempt to pursue careers that require degrees. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm due for a midnight Jacuzzi session and Capt Morgan is calling my name.
CC is easier to the point that any moron dumbass can get in. you are just trying to convince yourself that you made a smart move (you didn't though).
Quote by Sharck
There are less chicks.

Nope...

at mine the majority of the students are female.

Also... another great thing is that there is more individual interaction between teacher and students which helps you not fall behind so easily. It's less expensive like mentioned before... but not only cuz of the classes, but also because you have more options on what you're paying. At mine the parking sticker only costs 8 bucks and is optional, where as at the University here it's about 120 dollars whether you use it or not (even teachers and staff have to pay it).

Anothing thing i like is that it's way smaller so you don't have to be walking so much to get around the campus. Also because of that, there's usually more space to hang out and less ppl walking around all the time.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by The Leader
Please note that my career path won't work for everyone, and most of you will attempt to pursue careers that require degrees. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm due for a midnight Jacuzzi session and Capt Morgan is calling my name.

So classy.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Spamwise
lol

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stupidest

LOL

stu·pid Audio Help /ˈstupɪd, ˈstyu‑/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[stoo-pid, styoo‑] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun
–adjective
1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: God, Spamwise is the stupidest f u cking person alive.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang. excellent; terrific.
–noun
7. Informal. a stupid person.

god you're embarrassing.

(And I'm aware that University isn't practical, or the right choice, for everyone.)
Last edited by tona_107 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by daeqwon10000
Ignorant Sack Of **** Alert?!?!?!?! OH NO QUICK GET THE ENCYCLOPEDIA AND ALL THE SCOTT'S 2 PLY YOU CAN!

EDIT:I only said what I said earlier cause I am probaly going to a community college before I got to a university

That's the smart thing to do imo.

Get as many of your basics there because u'll save a hell lot of money. After that go and transfer to a university to get your classes for your major.

That's what i'd pretty much doing.

EDIT: Also, in case you didn't know... the majority of the professors at CC's also teach at unis. From all the ones i've had none of them prefer teaching at UTEP. They all say that they prefer EPCC because of the smaller classes and more time for actual interaction. They're able to work individually with students which i think is a big plus.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by daeqwon10000

It's okay. I still like you.

But yes, going to a CC doesn't make you any dumber than a regular university-goer. In fact, a lot of regular university-goers are dumbfucks who shouldn't really be there in the first place.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I here a similar argument to this from a lot of people I know, who have accumulated all of the certificates and diplomas that make up my degree...

It's all well and good to have a diploma or degree from either institution, but who's the high profile employer going to higher? The guy with a degree who came recommended from *insert university and lecturers name* or the guy who just has a degree.

I'm a 3rd year undergrad, 2 years from final graduation and I already have my dream job...because I got a HD in Applied Sound Principles which got me 8 weeks paid work in Melbourne, which saw me meet my now boss and gave me a head start on all the other guys who will graduate with the very same degree as me.

But, I will point out two things. 1. I don't have to pay my expenses (for now) thanks to the ATO and 2. Odds are non-university graduates have the same chance as me as getting the same job, they just have to, for lack of a better word, struggle for it.

Case and point being: At university you pay for education, prestige and networking and at CC you pay for an education.

MinorEdit: As for student interaction. Class size is irrelevant seeings as all lecturers have consultation times outside of classes to accommodate their class sizes AND it's not just them, there's the tutors as well of whom there are usually 2-5 per lecturer. The only issue is if you want to go and see them
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Aug 29, 2008,
i dont see anything wrong with a cc at all. many people i know either go there to take gen eds that would cost you much more at a major uni or take summer classes there while at home in order to get closer to getting their diploma...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
can people stop being elitist pricks?

edit: i like what the guy said about paying for prestige, and i have one more thing to add to that.

nobody gets a frickin PhD at a community college. you want more than two years or technical schooling, you have to go to a University. Still gotta learn the same stuff.

the only person i wanna hear diss on CC is someone in the Ivy league who got to start straight outa high school and has a full ride based on academics. only then will i listen to the insults.
Last edited by dudius at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by dudius
can people stop being elitist pricks?

No, it makes them feel better about their tiny weiners.
Quote by garrett5
No, it makes them feel better about their tiny weiners.

haw do u no i sufar frum mikropenes
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
I'm at a Uni, but CC is perfectly legit. I know plenty of people going to CC for various circumstances, none of them any less intelligent than myself.

+1. I know plenty of people going to a University that are completely dumb.

It all depends on where you are for the most part. The Community College in this town is run like the high schools in this town(If you've been in any "small crappy town in South Carolina" you know what I'm talking about."). From what I hear the Universities(around here anyways) aren't all they're cracked up to be; unless going to dorms and getting drunk/high every day and cheating in classes only to graduate and get into the real world and wonder why you can't hold the kind of job you're supposed to is some kind of accomplishment. As I've said; that's about the ones around here.

Universities are better in better towns/states; but a lot of people(even here) use CC to "get started" then switch over to University to get whatever degree they want(if the CC they're going to doesn't have it). I personally don't see what the big deal is; both are good and bad in different ways. It's all in how good the one you're going to is; what you want to do; and how well you do the school thing.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Quote by darkstar2466
haw do u no i sufar frum mikropenes

I juss kno, K?

Dont Ask queshuns
Quote by tona_107
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stupidest

LOL

stu·pid Audio Help /ˈstupɪd, ˈstyu‑/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[stoo-pid, styoo‑] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun
–adjective
1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: God, Spamwise is the stupidest f u cking person alive.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.
6. Slang. excellent; terrific.
–noun
7. Informal. a stupid person.

god you're embarrassing.

(And I'm aware that University isn't practical, or the right choice, for everyone.)

Fuck

How is there a "Stupidest" but not a "funnest"?
I go to Community College, and I like it. It really helps that you can always talk 1 on 1 with the instructor.
Can't afford Uni at the moment, though
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Ha, I knew this would be a ****storm.

By the way, I should specify: For General Education.

And I'm not trying to justify, as I was attending The University of California last year, along with being accepted to Pepperdine and Columbia Universities.

I'm mainly focusing on the price point: It's damned cheaper.

And instead of 200 capacity lecture halls where the professor doesn't even know your name, you're in a 20-30 person classroom, which is a much more learning conducive environment.

As far as employers preferring one institute of education to another, I find this misleading/somewhat not true. While people will be expecting more from a graduate of a more prestigious university, in an interview situation, they are going to go with the better candidate to fill that job, regardless of the institute at which they studied.

I know teachers who graduated from State colleges that get paid more than those from private universities because they are better at what they do.

The main point is that for the education value (price/what is gained knowledge wise) is greater from the university standpoint.

I'm speaking from first hand experience, because I've been to both.
I'm at a UC (University of California) and i almost went to a community college but decided rather to take this route because after two years if i don't like it i can transfer to another UC school and im sure they would take someone with the grades at a UC vs. someone with the grades at a CC
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to join

Member of the I have every metallica album and I love it!
club. PM BDR_23 to join

www.myspace.com/shepherdjoe

X
Page 1 of 5