For me to buy a ESP horizon NT-II here in Aus, the cheapest i can get is $2250 AUD. The NT-II is mahogany, and it has a fixed bridge. Someone is selling a second hand ESP horizon FR-II on ebay.com.au for $1530 including shipping (no one has bid yet, hopefully no one will, 1 more day to go).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ESP-Horizon-FR-ll_W0QQitemZ190246415255QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My problem is, this has an alder body (the new FR-II has a mahogany). I've heard alder produces a brighter, thinner sound compared to mahogany. Even though the FR-II retails for more, and has a floyd rose (im not sure i want a trem), and it saves me $720, the fact that its alder is putting me off, though i havent had any experience with alder.

I need nice warm cleans, and i do play some very melow stuff, aswell as shredding etc. Any advice? it closes in 1 day.

cheers.
The quality of the wood matters more than what kind it is.

And honestly, the type body wood accounts for no more than 15-20% of the sound. The pickups and the amp deal with the rest.

There's no reason alder couldn't do that, anyway.
I find alder to be a good tone wood TBH, I prefer it over Mahagony. Mahogany is too dark for my ears. You just need to EQ everything differently on your amp to suit Alder.
Signatures are overrated.
I'd go for the FR. I much prefer the alder over mahogany. As moe Moe said, the mahogony is really dark and should be used for rhythm and riffing.
alder definately doesn't produce a thinner tone (pickups and amp will be the biggest affector of this), it just tends to be brighter - giving a more pronounced high end because it isn't as dense as mahogany (and is therefore lighter).
Quote by haz_uk
alder definately doesn't produce a thinner tone (pickups and amp will be the biggest affector of this), it just tends to be brighter - giving a more pronounced high end because it isn't as dense as mahogany (and is therefore lighter).

I personally thought it gave more mids than high end. Alder's the type of wood that really cuts through a mix.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
I personally thought it gave more mids than high end. Alder's the type of wood that really cuts through a mix.

personally, i have to iron out the treble a bit when playing my jacksons as opposed to my les paul to get rid of that slight high end spike.

the 6505 has rediculous highs anyway, so it's going to sound different through different amps.
Alder is the most 'balanced' of the various woods commonly used for building guitar bodies. I wouldn't word it as being brighter and thinner than mahogany, but rather that mahogany is darker and thicker than alder.

Anyway, alder is pretty much the most common body wood you can get for mid and higher-end guitars. It's got some of the best dynamic response around, and surprisingly long sustain considering it's a lighter wood.

Unless you're really into brutaldeathblackgothicextremecorethrashmetalwhatever, alder will be a fine body wood. Use the money you've saved to perhaps buy some better quality pickups (perhaps go for pickups that have a little more bass response if you really want a thicker tone), then the rest can go towards getting your perfect amp. And I would suggest that everyone has an EQ pedal, so you can always tweak your tone with that too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by guitarnoize
Have you considered buying one new from the states? Its way cheaper than buying them here in Aus. Only problem is that anything over $1000 is subject to import duty but it still works out cheaper.

yes i've definitely considered it, i even made a spread sheet on excel that helps me calculate the costs etc. And it actually turns out to be the same, infact, an extra $50 to $100 because the aus dollar has dropped recently.

$1400 US is the cheapest ive found in the US for an NT-II, and they dont come with cases, Thats an extra $100 atleast for an ESP case. Then you apply exchange rates, shipping, 5% tax on price of guitar, then 10% on the overal price (guitar + shipping). i think i calculated it to be $2300 AUD, compared to the $2250 AUD at the australian site, bmusic.com.au.

Thanks everyone for the advice, im seriously considering bidding now.
You won't be dissapointed. The sustain really is surprising and the tone really is flexible.
Alder > mahogany for me personally.
Mahogany gets so easily muddy.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Got it for $1725 AUD, I was hoping for it to stay at $1500, but oh well. I'll be sure to post photos etc when it arrives.

cheers.