i have a fender geddy lee jazz. and i was wondering if i changed to seymour duncan pups would it be better? im looking for a deep warm tone. like jack bruce and tro sanders of mastadon, but still have versatility.
dude, go for it. i have a strat (i play guitar) and im going to change the bucker on the back end to EMG-85 to get a high gain output. im excited. BUT i dont know much about basses, but one thing ive learned about music is to always try something new. go for it man
I've played a geddy before and after duncans and the difference is amazing, go for it
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
i wouldnt change the pickups unless i was totally unsatisfied with your tone. And if you are, id go for something a little bit better than seymour duncan like nordstrand.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I'm not a huge fan of the Duncan's on my bass right now. The tone is okay, but probably better than whatever the stock pickup is on the GL. However, I would just go all the way and get Samarium Cobalt Noiseless'. They're noiseless and have that warm sound down pat. The Duncan's maybe not so much. I've only tried out the five string SD's so maybe the 4s are vastly different, but I doubt it.
i put SD quarter pounder pups on my squier and it made it sound much better, it was p bass pick ups though so it was very agressive and big sounding.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by malaysia_mari
i have a fender geddy lee jazz. and i was wondering if i changed to seymour duncan pups would it be better? im looking for a deep warm tone. like jack bruce and tro sanders of mastadon, but still have versatility.

i would buy those pickups from you..
Well, "Seymour Duncans" is a pretty broad term, so it's tough to say. If you had a general idea of what you wanted, it would be much easier to help you out.

Also, what amp do you play through?
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............
I'd say do that or buy a pre-amp of somesort. I run my Fender Bronco (yes it is a cheap bass) through my Line6 Bass PodXT Pro and I can make it sound just like my $500 Ibanez 305FM.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Blatant spam. Don't use it.

Whoa sorry about that delirium. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to rules, I was posting it for the heck of it. But on on topic, if you are unhappy with your sound and you want something completely different, there is no reason to not change your pick ups! If you want a new sound, then do it! I would also suggest that you invest in some high end pick ups so you get the best sound you can possibly achieve.

Peace Out y'all, I have a Human Anatomy and an AP Biology test to study for!!!
Off topic, but how much did you score that jazz for? I assume you're from Malaysia. Im from Singapore and all the guitars and equipment are ridiculously overpriced here.

Im also getting my stock pickup swapped for an SD (Mines Fernandes with a MM bucker).
Good luck on getting your dream tone!
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Pickups are a very small portion of your tone.

I would look to your amp being the problem first - what is it?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.