Whats the cheapest/simplest way to record a track at home?
Its just vocals and an electric guitar.

Thanks!
Nick
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
your computer has a microphone port
get a $5 PC mic and record it with a program like Audacity or Reaper
if you amp has a headphone out port you may want to grab the guitar signal for that

you will need to invest a bit more if you want to get it to sound good (i.e. at least $50 on a mic and about $120+ on a USB audio interface)
I paid 320€ for Line6 podXT and it has a USB so I can record with it.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
I record with a free program called Kristal Audio Engine, it's simple, noob-friendly, and free. You can record tracks, mix them, and save them as a WAV file, which you can then convert to mp3 with a free wav-mp3 converter that you can get everywhere on the net.
Cheap mic, all you need, if you have a few extra bucks id really recommend a stand, the mic should be suspended for better sound and a pop sheild for the fuzz.

Oh and use an acoustica package to record it onto, like mixcraft, or use cubase, you can get crack copies from torrent sites here and there. I'd even recommend gettign beatscraft and adding in some drums.
this is really best suited for the "Riffs and Recording" forum. I think they even have some stickies for questions like this. but seriously if you have a computer and don't mind borrowing programs from the interwebs you should be able to get a decent home recording for under $300
Quote by NICK.IS.SICK
Whats the cheapest/simplest way to record a track at home?
Its just vocals and an electric guitar.

Thanks!
Nick

You won't need to pirate software for stuff to work. I'd recommend getting KRISTAL, then Audacity (to polish up a track). All you'll need is a USB microphone...the Samson CO1U/CO3U, Blue Snowball are probably the best bets, and most cost less than $100. Just stick them to your computer and record one thing at a time.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
So do I record my guitar and voice at the same time through the PC mic?
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
Quote by NICK.IS.SICK
So do I record my guitar and voice at the same time through the PC mic?

No, separately, on different tracks.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

And then merge the two with Audacity?
Is there a guide on this? Its more complicated than I thought...
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
How would I record my guitar as a MIDI file?
What software is he using for the guide? ACID?
Most of it is too complicated. I didnt follow it at all...
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
Here's one I discovered. Buy a PS2 game called Singstar. It comes with two microphones, and a USB splitter, that hooks both mics into one USB port. Use Audacity to record, and it will recognize both microphones independently, so you can change the levels on vocals or guitar if you need to. It sounds silly, but the whole setup costs about $60 and works really, really well. The game comes with surprisingly good microphones. For just a cheap home recording it's brilliant. I did a lot of the recordings on my profile with that setup.
So I can record the guitar and vocals at the same time with Singstar? Like, one mic for vocals, and put the other mic by my amp?
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
get a $5 microphone from an asian variety store, open up windows sound recorder, and do your thing!!
Quote by NICK.IS.SICK
How would I record my guitar as a MIDI file?
What software is he using for the guide? ACID?
Most of it is too complicated. I didnt follow it at all...

You'll record an audio (sound) file...ignore the first step on the link I sent you. As for the software...he's speaking in generalities: it applies to all software.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by NICK.IS.SICK
So I can record the guitar and vocals at the same time with Singstar? Like, one mic for vocals, and put the other mic by my amp?

Ya, that's exactly what you can do! You can even change the levels for each after you've recorded, so if your vocals are too quiet you can boost the gain, or pan the vocals or guitar to the left or right, or blend them together. Lots of possibilities. And hey, you can even play the game if you want!
I dont have a PS2 (I have XBOX 360).
But that actually sounds really good. Definetly the most affordable for the quality...
I think I just might do that! Thanks drossboot!
1 more question: does it record as one audio file? If so, how can I edit the volume of each mic? If not, how do I merge the two files?
Oops, that was more than one question. My bad!
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
I don't have a PS2 either. It's the microphones you want. sell the game back to the store by itself. Make a few bucks. Anyway, when you record in Audacity, the file is a special Audacity file. You change the levels within the program, and when you're done, you save it as mp3, .wav, or whatever format you want. It records as one track, but you can split it into a stereo track, and then change your levels and gain and add effects or whatever, then when you save it, it all merges together. I don't know how familiar you are with Audacity, but it's pretty easier to figure out once you get in there and start messing around. Theres also a FAQ on this site about it. PM if you get stuck or want to know more. Happy recording!
Im not very familiar with Audacity, but Im sure Ill figure it out...
Thanks!
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
What I do is use Audacity - which is free.. and go directly from Line-out on my amp to Line-in on my laptop. That get's pretty good quality and very little fuzz/hiss. All you need to buy is either an AUX cable and a small->jack connector, or a guitar lead with a jack->small connector and you're sorted.

Set up is literally: guitar -> amp -> laptop. It's cheap and effective
I dont have line out on my amp.
I have an MP3 player with a built in voice recorder, but I dont know how to get rid of the background hiss...
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
I wonder if using LAME with a VBR setting would get rid of the background hiss...
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
Toneport GX or UX1
Thats All
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
You could just get the GX and then a XLR lead that has a 1/4" jack.
This would mean that you cannot record guitar and vocals at same time though
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son
Hmmm, the SingStar option seems to be the most viable right now...
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
OK, small problem. This thread was created with doing solo work in mind.
Now Im in a metalcore band.
We have:
Bassist/Singer
Lead Guitar
Rhythm Guitar/Screamer
Drummer
How the hell are we supposed to record now?
Note that there isnt enough room in front of my PC to play in front of the mics. I have to find a new option. Hopefully not too complicated... Maybe a good voice recorder? Suggest stuff guys?
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII
OK, sounds good. Thanks!
Wow, mixers are pricey. Where do the drums come in though?
My Gear
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall G10 MKII