Page 1 of 2

ZOMG MEESTER CARROT WOT HAS U GONE AND DUN

So, I bought a Toneport GX.

And what's it like?

Well, it's pretty much brilliant. The software is great, you get tonnes of control over tonnes of parameters. Cleans are pretty much outstanding, you get brilliant models, and from this i've already managed to get a Laney VC-matching clean tone, very RHCP.

The distortion is understandably a bit harder to dial in, what with this essentially being a computer-run POD, but the flexibility over cab models, mic models and placement, and all the other parameters mean it's not hard to get a tone very usable.

But I mean, seriously, for 50 quid, you're not really gonna get any better tone than this. You could buy a 5w tube combo but be forced to use purely clean tones or risk waking the dead, or a small MG and be forced to use the rubbish MG tone... But with this you get heaps of versatility, and great tones with it. The included gearbox software is genius, and the whole affair is simply plug, install, play. Dead easy to use also.

I wanted something for late night bedroom recording and practice which my VC30 can't quite manage, and having heard a friend's one of these I HAD to get one. And for £50 this gets close enough that i'm totally satisfied. The versatility is immense and everything is top notch so far.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Horlicks
I wish my amp had a spacebar.
explain yuself.
Quote by xxXshredderXxx
what a peice of ****.

your a liar, it sounds like crap.

admit it.

see i can do it too mr carrot
gtfo or reported for flaming

Oh and go learn to read

^^ Where'd you get GuitarRig from? Any cost?
Quote by MrCarrot
^^ Where'd you get GuitarRig from? Any cost?

Its bloody expensive if you buy it ... So I didn't. I don't think its worth buying but if you 'acquire' it its awesome.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Its bloody expensive if you buy it ... So I didn't. I don't think its worth buying but if you 'acquire' it its awesome.
Excellent... I'll look into that Thanks very much.

And yeah i'm enjoying Gearbox at the moment, i'll probably get GuitarRig3 in the future though.
the JCM800 model winz

can you connect that TP to an amp as a monitor?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I got myself the UX2 end of last year and I agree, the range is bloody brilliant for what it is/how cheap they are.
Quote by 666_Pounder
If you ever download the demo I can send you a .exe that should get rid of the time limit and make it a full copy.
Please do, i'm doing so now, got msn or hotmail? PM me

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
the JCM800 model winz

can you connect that TP to an amp as a monitor?
I think it's possible, actually... I'll check the help or manual or whatever.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Toneport + Guitar Rig 3 = win. I didn't like the gearbox stuff that much.

+1, should've got a normal audio interface and "obtained" Guitar Rig 3. Ahem.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
"Creative" speakers? WTF man, BOSE for the win! Seriously, I look forward to clips of this thing in action. Congrats.
Quote by gregs1020
"Creative" speakers? WTF man, BOSE for the win! Seriously, I look forward to clips of this thing in action. Congrats.
Yeah they suck a bit, but the tone's not bad

Clips eventually...
Congrats, I'm assuming that it would be similar to running a POD straight into a computer. In that case, it sounds pretty darn good. The clean models are better than the higher gain models when played direct to a computer, IMO.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by 666_Pounder
Toneport + Guitar Rig 3 = win. I didn't like the gearbox stuff that much.

+1. But I have the Line 6 Guitarport - only one input.

Guitar Rig 3 is 200x better then Gearbox. I really hate the tones from gearbox.
And like most people, my version of GR3 *somehow* cost me nothing.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
£50!?! It' £36 up here I was considering one of these a while ago, but it's off my list of needs for now.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Congrats, I'm assuming that it would be similar to running a POD straight into a computer. In that case, it sounds pretty darn good. The clean models are better than the higher gain models when played direct to a computer, IMO.
Similar, but with extra cab models and stuff I believe.

anyway Guitar Rig is on its way to me... With much legality. Let's see how it and gearbox compare.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Are you using your PC speakers to output the sound?
yeah...
i was interested in this a while ago, now you've just reminded me - its a great recording setup for someone who needs to play quietly.

one question: does it have octave fuzz? the octavia setting on the pod X3 was great and no actual octave fuzz seems to respond as nicely, so it seems to me like the only way
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Get yourself one of these;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1170&doy=29m8&C=SO&U=strat15

And one of these;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1277&doy=29m8&criteria=3.5

One end in headphone socket on Toneport other with adapter into Amps input.

Just a suggestion really it sounds much better coming from an amp than small PC Speakers.
Last edited by 666_Pounder at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by 666_Pounder

And one of these;

One end in headphone socket on Toneport other with adapter into Amps output.

Just a suggestion really it sounds much better coming from an amp than small PC Speakers.

Interesting.
I might try that.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by 666_Pounder

And one of these;

One end in headphone socket on Toneport other with adapter into Amps input.

NO!

thats a mono-mono 3.5mm you'll lose one channel

i use this

cable is mono to 2 phono and the other bit is 3.5mm stereo to 2 phono, you preserve both sides and i can play my iPod through my 300W bass amp ^)
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Either way works in my experience I have tried both but I'm using my other cable for my PC. As the Toneport only has one channel it doesn't really matter. For iPods etc obviously use the latter.
Toneports are amazing, i have the UX1 version. Gearbox is a very good program, you don't get Ableton with the GX model do you?
No, not ableton love with the GX.

But Guitarrig is epic epic epic win. JCM800 > AC30 cab + most everything except master on the '800 cranked = 'gasm.
Quote by Geartrigger
Get Revalver MkIII. It used to be by a company called Alien Connections but Peavey bought it. It's definatly the best amp simulation software out of all the ones I've tried.

www.peavey.com/products/revalver/index.cfm

You can host other vst plugins in Revalver along with speaker impulses.

I've used all software sims, apart from amplitube, and I think GR3 is better then revalver, although revalver is a great app!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Very neat! I'm glad to see that someone's actually going out and buying things like this, especially someone with an ear for tube tone.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Very neat! I'm glad to see that someone's actually going out and buying things like this, especially someone with an ear for tube tone.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

wat
Quote by MrCarrot
explain yuself.

i think it was a joke.

anyway, very cool. everyone seems to be getting computer modellers these days, i'm feeling left out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
ZOMG MEESTER CARROT WOT HAS U GONE AND DUN

Looks pretty good - is it simple to hook the guitar up and such? I tried amplitube (think that's it) once and pretty much failed.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Page 1 of 2