Hello everyone. I am new to posting on this board but have been reading it for a while. I have found everything on here very helpful and appreciate it alot. I have been looking for a more low end growl tone from my bass. A good example would be "Would" by Alice in Chains or Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime album. Currently I play a Spector Legend 4 classic with EMG-SSD pickups, a Crate BT220 amp, and a MXR M-80 D.I. (just got that about a month ago) I have been messing around with all the settings on my amp, bass, and D.I and I can get a growl but its more a mid range growl and not enough low. When I boost the lows it seems to hide the "growl". Tried the distortion setting on my D.I. but I get more Fuzz in the background. I have only been playing for 3 years and there is still tons I dont know, so maybe I am doing something wrong. You guys have any tips on how I could try to get close to that Alice in Chains sound?
I take it by the lack of responses you guys are as baffled about it as I am. Maybe I just need to get a higher end Spector like Eddie Jackson and Mike Starr had. HA HA.
Well...he uses a pick...I know that. And most distortions (from what I have experienced and read on these boards) seem to destroy any low end whatsoever. I would just turn the bass up a good amount (7 or 8) and **** around with the mids and gain and whatnot. That's about I'll I've got.
If you have access to a four band EQ, boost more low mids, lows and highs, and leave the high mids relatively flat. With the M-80 you could use it to just get a little bit of dirt into the signal to get a bit more 'growl'. I'm not sure if thats the type of 'growl' your going for, but that's a low end 'growl' to my ears.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by goest
Well...he uses a pick...I know that. And most distortions (from what I have experienced and read on these boards) seem to destroy any low end whatsoever.

That's guitar distortions. A bass distortion is fine.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yes, but I've played some bass distortions that weren't too great for my lows.