Body: Explorer shape. Probably pine or something. what's pine sound like?
Neck: Pulled of a smashed strat copy
Pickups: Humbucker and Single pulled of same smashed strat.
Bridge: Probably have to buy this. Im thinking of getting a Tune-O-Matic.

Am i missing anything there?

Anyway whats a good site to help me build this? Most of it is going to be done with hand tools. A hacksaw and some sand paper most likely. Any tips?
I wouldn't make it out of Pine if I were you. Pine is a soft wood, guitars are generally made out of hardwood unless it's a budget guitar. Alder would be better and it's not too expensive compared to some.

Guitar colour ideas

Quote by Les Paul Ell
I wouldn't make it out of Pine if I were you. Pine is a soft wood, guitars are generally made out of hardwood unless it's a budget guitar. Alder would be better and it's not too expensive compared to some.

Well i can get plenty of pine for free. What about ummm... I think its called poplar? I can get that to.
Poplar would be better. Pine would be okay to use as well, but it's not exactly ideal, since it's very brittle. Actually, some of the first Telecasters were made out of pine.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
a good idea is to get a book to help you - theres a really good one by melvin hiscock that'll help you through it.

things to remember - if your going for a tom bridge, your neck should be angled, because otherwise your action will be sky high

pine isn't a great wood, but to be honest that doesn't mean its unusable - especially since it'll be easy to cut and sand - which for your first project is good. poplar is better.
forgot to say - projectguitar.com
hacksaw and sandpaper will take you years and years and years. and im not sure whether routing with a hacksaw wud work either! (routing is cutting down into the wood for things like the bridge, pickups and neck pocket)

also remember - strat is a 25.5 scale. so you'd have to make your guitar a 25.5 scale guitar. not a les paul like 24.
^ pine has great tonal properties. the trick is to find a good stable piece.

I'd go with poplar too, though. great wood to work with and very stable.

projectguitar.com will help so will buildyourguitar.com. guitarbuild.com has plans and such on DXF but DO NOT download the turbocad they have on there... it's loaded with viruses. download voloview from the autodesk website.

i wouldn't use a hacksaw. use a jigsaw if anything. a hacksaw will take days. you're going to need a router for the cavities... unless you plan on chipping away with a wood chisel... in that case, good luck and may the force be with you... you'll have a forearm like popeye after all of that...

get a gotoh t-o-m... 18 bucks ftw. also gotoh tuners... 35 bucks on warmoth.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by CobenBlack
forgot to say - projectguitar.com
hacksaw and sandpaper will take you years and years and years. and im not sure whether routing with a hacksaw wud work either! (routing is cutting down into the wood for things like the bridge, pickups and neck pocket)

also remember - strat is a 25.5 scale. so you'd have to make your guitar a 25.5 scale guitar. not a les paul like 24.

Les Pauls are a compensated 24.75" scale - typically 24.5625... fender jaguars are 24" scale

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Ok thanks for the replies

I might see if i can get a bit of poplar then.

I will probably use a machine to cut out the body then. Routing might be hard...
routing is easy if you make templates, take your time and get some good shank mounted ball bearing cutters. it's a lot of preparation work but the end result is nice and the work isn't too hard.

try to get a router with a 1/2" collet capacity, though... you'll be glad you did.

Dude, pine works great. I made a full size mockup of my guitar out of pine in the start of my build, and it sounded awesome. I wouldn't recommend making the neck out of pine, but a pine body is not bad.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by Final !mpact

Guitar colour ideas

Well i can get plenty of pine for free. What about ummm... I think its called poplar? I can get that to.

Pine as a great sounding wood but it's soft and dents easy, poplars harder and sounds like alder it's a very good choice if your painting it.
pines the best tonewood in my opinion, but you have to be very skilled to work it correctly. poplar is my favorite choice for guitar bodies, nice hard wood, very light, produces a very balanced tone.
Ok poplar it is. I might look around for prices on T-O-M bridges and ask my grandad (Who happens to live accross the road from me ) If he has any sheets of poplar left.
Quote by LP Addict
nice. just get 8/4 thickness, probably need 16'' by 24'' or so for an explorer. though i cant say for sure, havent made one.

Ive decided not to do an explorer. To complicated and the pickups i have would be useless for an explorer. I guess il make it a Strat now.
Quote by LP Addict
looks like hard maple. acer saccharum.

No idea what that means...

Ok im a total noob to this sort of thing. Does the wood the neck is made of change the tone at all? If so is hard maple any good?

Thanks.
Quote by Invader Jim
Neck wood has a huge effect on tone. Especially the fretboard. Hard maple is what almost ALL necks are made of.

So its not really anything special? OK thanks
Well, it's the cheapest, most stable wood that can be used as a neck. You can make a neck from any hardwood. Some use mahogany, ebony, figured maple, etc.

edit: ime, the fretboard wood made a big difference in the tone. I had an old alder strat body laying around as well as some necks that I was given. Both maple, one had an ebony board and one had a maple board. The one from the strat had a rosewood board

Rosewood was darker than maple and ebony was brighter than maple to my ears. That's just me though. You are probably more versed in this area though, as you build guitars. Mine was just spare-partscaster.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 29, 2008,
yeah i know, but abotu the fingerboard being a significant tone factor, no not really. maple is the best ideally because there is really no fingerboard, aka no glue joint between the vibration and the neck wood... however if the fignerboard is glued on, there is no difference, all fingerboards are of the same density/hardness to an extent.
Hmm... Wood is expensive + i dont have the tools or know-how... I've asked on a different forum and i might be getting an Ibanez body... Maybe I'll actually BUILD a guitar next time

Suggestions on pick-ups? I'm thinking a couple of Seymour Duncan hot rails
$15 pick guard from ebay.

I have pretty much everything for the electronics. A few 25k pots, a 0.022uF capacitor for tone (Thats the right one isnt it?) A mono jack and an ass load of thick wire. All i need is a few switches. One for my kill switch and one for the pickup selector.

Am i missing anything?
-Body + Neck
-Pickups
-Electronics
-Pick Guard

Anything else? Im trying to figure out how much this is going to set me back
Quote by Invader Jim
What do you mean by thick wire? Just use 22 or 24 AWG.

I wasnt sure what gauge it is but its the same thickness as the wire ive seen in all my guitars.
25K pots? Put a zero on the end of that, and you'll be getting somewhere....

For the wire, can we see a picture of it next to a international standard? Like, a key on your keyboard?

Because coins vary in size....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
25K pots? Put a zero on the end of that, and you'll be getting somewhere....

For the wire, can we see a picture of it next to a international standard? Like, a key on your keyboard?

Because coins vary in size....

Sorry... Typo

Is the wire i use that important? I know its the same size as the wire used in my guitar.
Ok well then you should be OK.

I just wanted to make sure you comparing it something huge and thick haha... well good luck, and keep us posted.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.