Anyone have any expierence with this amp. I was thinking about getting it in place of my traynor. First of all is there a way to get a nice marshall crunch sound out of it. And does the clean channel go into overdrive well.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Which version are you looking at? I played one of the old 6l6 models and it was a great amp. The crunch isn't really a perfect Marshall clone but it is a nice British crunch. And I didn't push the clean channel very far but based on what I remember, it is very clean and sparkly so you won't get much OD from it.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Check sig

I own one and they are very nice. Especially for the price that you can get them at now. The only thing that you should know upfront is that you most likely won't find one that's had upgraded tubes. Although I haven't looked in awhile so don't quote me. But for the most part, people get rid of them stock and you'll have to do a bit of maintenance. simple stuff like changing tubes (which you would probably do anyways) and possible switch, jack, and/or pot replacement. All mine needed when i got it was a decent pot and jack cleaning. The tubes didn't 'need' replacement but I did for my own personal tastes anyways.

Also, my advice would be to go after an EL34 model. There are you tube vids that compare between the two models but all the ones I've seen have the 6L6 model with 6L6's and the EL34 model with EL34's. I have yet to run across one where they've compared a 6L6 model with EL34's to an EL34 model with 6L6 tubes. That might have been a bit confusing so let me put it this way; the EL34 model can run both EL34 and 6l6 tubes (among others) while the 6L6 model can't without modifying the wiring and other small misc things.

You also need to keep in mind that the X100B's are fixed Bias. nowadays, that's seen as a good thing but the X100B has the current to the tubes set at a fixed 100mA and teh drop resistor reduces that to around 92mA - 95mA. divide that by 4 and you've got approximately 22.5mA going to each tube which is super super low. It doesn't let the tubes act as they would in other properly biased amps. Now, that can be fixed and it is very very very very easy to do. If you decide to go with the X100B, you may message me and I can forward you the emails I have from Eurotubes. They helped me with the bias mod and i couldn't be happier with the results.

To answer your other questions:

- Yes, you can get a nice marshall crunch out of it and MORE! It all depends on what speakers you decide to run and the tubes you select. Mine is an EL34 model and you can see my setup in sig. I call it the thing that goes crunch in the night. Let's put it this way. I have a RAT distortion pedal and using the amp itself, i can get better distortion than by using the RAT pedal.

- This is one area where I can't really help you yet with the clean channel. I have infants running around so I can't really crank it; the times that I have cranked it, it's always been heavy metal stuff, no cleans. Sorry. check out the Carvin forums.

I ran across a post awhile back in the carvin forums where a guy wrote his unbiased opinions about the difference between his personal marshall and carvin amps. i'll try to find it for you.

lot's of info so I'll leave it at that for now. If you want to know more, feel free to message me.

Edit: I forgot to mention something important. Unless you get a crazy deal like I got ($300 for the head and 412), don't get the cabinet to go with the amp. i don't know about any other models, you'll have to look yourself but the one sold as a match to the X100B heads are ****. Check links in sig to see the type of wood for yourself.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Last edited by MeanwiththeDean at Aug 29, 2008,
Thanks for the help. Whats the differance in sound between the EL34s and 6l6s. How would a hughes and kettner cab with v30's work?
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Quote by hendrix4934
Thanks for the help. Whats the differance in sound between the EL34s and 6l6s. How would a hughes and kettner cab with v30's work?

just type in 'X100B' into you tube and listen to some of them for yourself. Find the guy that does a lot of talking and keeps all his stuff at 5 and the EQ flat. I'll find it later when i get home if you can't locate it. At work i can't get on you tube or I'd link you directly.

Also go on eurotubes.com and check out their descriptions. They have pretty detailed descriptions of every type of tube available.

A V30 HK cab will be just fine
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame