Page 3 of 82
Listening to "The Sham Mirrors" now.

Loving it. A lot.

Not quite what I expected, but great, nonetheless.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Holy shit.

Your kidding Fallenangel.

You are JUST NOW listening to Arcturus?

My heart.... she weeps.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
..........>_>

<_<

Saxo-Walrus

Now that you mention it, they do.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by korinaflyingv
You gaiz need to check out The Mirimar Disaster
www.myspace.com/themirimardisaster
I bought their mini album "Volumes" yesterday, and it's awesome
Sort of like a more progressive version of early Cult of Luna, so not Post Metal, but most fans of Cult of Luna, Isis, Neurosis etc should like them

didn't care for two of the three songs there. Her Tides Have No Compassion was really cool though.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
in the short lived career of Mare, they created some very ****ing heavy music. not so "metal" , but they play their style perfectly. its really a shame that they broke up and noone has really followed in their footsteps
I smell talk about Arcturus!

THERE ARE A DEMONS IN MY HUE!!!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by dead-fish
I smell talk about Arcturus!

THERE ARE A DEMONS IN MY HUE!!!

Are those the exact lyrics?

BROKEN ENGLISH FTW!!!!

Saxo-Walrus

No, the actual lyric is "Of a demon in my view", but momma told me not to believe what I read.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I have not been the same since I took on the profession of the DEVIL!

Arcturus rules. I only have 2 of their songs though.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by RedDeath9
Fail.

I can't find them anywhere. Even Newberry Comics...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by RedDeath9
Fail.

Winds With Hands by Pelican wins.

Dammit.

I was enjoying listening to Lush, and now I'm listening to Winds with Hands because I haven't listened to it for a while, and I didn't realise it until now.

thanks

Saxo-Walrus

Sooooo I just placed an order at amazon. Cult of Luna's Salvation, Godspeed You Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, and a 60 inch olympic barbell.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
what would some starter bands/ albums be?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by The Evil Hat
what would some starter bands/ albums be?

The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw by Pelican is a great starting post-metal album IMO.

Fallenangel will recommend Enter by Russian Circles and Oceanic by ISIS.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Quote by walkinbazooka
The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw by Pelican is a great starting post-metal album IMO.

Fallenangel will recommend Enter by Russian Circles and Oceanic by ISIS.

Pretty much, really. Except I'm a staunch "Panopticon" > "Oceanic" type of guy. Oceanic is AMAZING, but Panopticon beats it only slightly.

But, if I go by personal experience, "Australasia" by Pelican got me into the genre in general.

It got me into sludge, it got me into the idea of atmosphere > technicality (though Pelican ARE technical at times), it got me into post-metal and post-rock, etc.

It's my #2 or #3 most influential album ever.

So, yes. Just get "Australasia", and then get "The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw".

Saxo-Walrus

progbass would reccomend :

Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw by Pelican
Oceanic by Isis
Panopticon by Isis
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by fallenangel20

Pretty much, really. Except I'm a staunch "Panopticon" > "Oceanic" type of guy. Oceanic is AMAZING, but Panopticon beats it only slightly.

But, if I go by personal experience, "Australasia" by Pelican got me into the genre in general.

It got me into sludge, it got me into the idea of atmosphere > technicality (though Pelican ARE technical at times), it got me into post-metal and post-rock, etc.

It's my #2 or #3 most influential album ever.

So, yes. Just get "Australasia", and then get "The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw".

I knew it would be one of the two.

Australasia would appeal more to someone more into the metal side of things, but I prefer TFiOTWBtT.
Quote by shattamakar

thanks, i'll try and get Australasia. I already listen to some sludge like Crowbar and the like, but i've never heard any Post Metal.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Crowbar ain't got nuttin' on post metal.

It's slow, thick, and gives lots of love.

Kinda like fat chicks.

Not that I would know

>.>

<.<
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by walkinbazooka
I knew it would be one of the two.

Australasia would appeal more to someone more into the metal side of things, but I prefer TFiOTWBtT.

As do I, really. I hold "Australasia" so highly because of the sheer amount of influence on me, but I feel that TFiOTWBtT is a better laid out album, and a lot more gripping.

The simple fact that the album has "Red Ran Amber", "Aurora Borealis" and "Sirius", in that exact order, is enough for me.

All of those are so mesmorisingly amazing.
Quote by progbass
troo dat

Pelican introduced me to the idea, and Mr. Justin K. Broadrick only reinforced it for me.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by progbass
Crowbar ain't got nuttin' on post metal.

It's slow, thick, and gives lots of love.

Kinda like fat chicks.

Not that I would know

>.>

<.<

i wasn't implying that they were Post Metal, but rather that i've at least heard some form of sludge before.
I know you weren't comparing Crowbar to Post Sludge, I was just saying Post Metal is really dominating my playlists right now, especially Isis. I feel all other forms of MUSIC are inferior.

EDIT: J Broaderick...now where did I see that name before....didn't he remix an Isis song? where else....
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
I know you weren't comparing Crowbar to Post Sludge, I was just saying Post Metal is really dominating my playlists right now, especially Isis. I feel all other forms of MUSIC are inferior.

EDIT: J Broaderick...now where did I see that name before....didn't he remix an Isis song? where else....

Jesu, probably.

And, yes, he remixed an ISIS song. And a Pelican song. And was a founding member of Napalm Death and Godflesh, singlehandingly pioneering both grindcore and industrial metal.

Unless my sarcasm detector isn't working.

Saxo-Walrus

Napalm Death, thats where I remember him from. Wasn't he featured on Scum?

and the Isis song. I remember seeing a Mike Patton remix of Maritime too. Man that guy has his name out there.
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by progbass
Napalm Death, thats where I remember him from. Wasn't he featured on Scum?

and the Isis song. I remember seeing a Mike Patton remix of Maritime too. Man that guy has his name out there.

Yep, Side A of Scum is all Broadrick on guitar. He was about 17 at the time he recorded it all, as well.

Here's his Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Broadrick

Seriously, he's one of the most influential artists in metal. Read and be amazed.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by progbass
damn he was all over the place. Also, what Jesu album do you reccomend?

Ummm...... Hard to say.

My favorites are "Silver EP", "Jesu" and "Conqueror.

So, any one of those, I guess, really.

Saxo-Walrus

Quote by fallenangel20
As do I, really. I hold "Australasia" so highly because of the sheer amount of influence on me, but I feel that TFiOTWBtT is a better laid out album, and a lot more gripping.

The simple fact that the album has "Red Ran Amber", "Aurora Borealis" and "Sirius", in that exact order, is enough for me.

All of those are so mesmorisingly amazing.

First time I listened to that album I was high on hydrocodone...Red Ran Amber PWNED me. Such a great song.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by fallenangel20
Dammit.

I was enjoying listening to Lush, and now I'm listening to Winds with Hands because I haven't listened to it for a while, and I didn't realise it until now.

how's that shoegaze treatin ya FA?
i gots more if'n ya need some

also, would post Blood Inside Ulver fall under this thread? cause i love it, especially the heavy emphasis they put on the drums
on the subject of Jesu, what are they? Cause i've heard them mentioned as pretty much every genre under the sun but mostly Black Metal. any clarification?
Quote by dminishedthingy
how's that shoegaze treatin ya FA?
i gots more if'n ya need some

LOVING it.

Ride's "Nowhere" is treating me very well, I've listened to all of "Split" by Lush and loved it, but I need another listen or two. And Cocteau Twins are amazing, as well. "Treasure" is a great album.

Thanks a lot.

Are The Boo Radleys worth checking out?
Quote by The Evil Hat
on the subject of Jesu, what are they? Cause i've heard them mentioned as pretty much every genre under the sun but mostly Black Metal. any clarification?

Black Metal? No. Just no. Stop it now.

They're mostly an incredibly atmospheric post metal band. A little more industrial on the first two albums (since Broadrick was still involved with Godflesh at the time), but most everything after that has a lot of shoegaze and experimental feels.

Saxo-Walrus

definitely
i'd say go for Ichabod and I, its their "shoegaziest" album, after that they steadily became more of a britpop band
Quote by dminishedthingy
definitely
i'd say go for Ichabod and I, its their "shoegaziest" album, after that they steadily became more of a britpop band

For sure.

Saxo-Walrus

also check out Below the Sea, God is an Astronaut (definitely check these guys out, they're instrumental post-rock/shoegaze, awesome stuff), Joy Zipper, The Autumns, Chapterhouse, Curve, and Auburn Lull
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Sep 8, 2008,