hey what do you guys think the best practice time for a brand new band is. do you think once or twice a month would be sufficient. in my old bands we would do once a week but we all have conflicting schedules so time is limited. we're good, but we don't know how great we are together so we might have some work to do.
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
depends on what you want to do with the band.

if you want to be a serious band that writes music and plays shows and such, you need to practice AT LEAST 2 or 3 times per week.

if you just want to be a fun band that jams and plays covers, once a week should do the trick.

once or twice a month, and progress will be very very slow, and the likelihood of someone quitting goes way up.
well we definitely want to be a serious band, so once a week might be what we have to do
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
twice per month?
ur kidding me?
at least once a week...twice or thrice would be even better
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Band practise once a week could be alright if you can all practise individually outside of the band rehearsal. That way you won't need to spend as much time in the band rehearsal fitting everything together. However, speaking from personal experience, if you want to write original material then once a week is not enough to become a serious band. If its that hard to organise a practise, how the hell will you find time to gig?
my past bands have been once a week and we've been more than fine. once a week is definitely what we're aiming for, we were thinking all day practices on saturdays
Quote by G-Dog_666
Band practise once a week could be alright if you can all practise individually outside of the band rehearsal. That way you won't need to spend as much time in the band rehearsal fitting everything together. However, speaking from personal experience, if you want to write original material then once a week is not enough to become a serious band. If its that hard to organise a practise, how the hell will you find time to gig?
yea we practice songs now that we want to do outside of rehearsal which is why i think once a week would be fine
We do once a week as an original band. However, writing takes place individually for the most part, unless the guitarist and I get together for a couple of hours on the weekend in between practices.

We got fairly tight in a fairly short amount of time due to everyone doing their homework and not hacking through stuff in practice.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My band practices 2x a week, 2 hours per practice. Most writing takes place outside practice.
honestly, I think you should do 2 times per week. Progress faster, get new material down, get the band and the sound tighter. At least, that seems to be working for me.
when my band started we practiced 4-5 days a week for 2 or 3 weeks for 4 to sometimes 8 or 9 hours, got everything written, down, tight, ready to play. now we're practicing at least 1 time a week, usually 2 or 3, then we try to play a gig once a week, even if its an open mic. just to get out and play.
okay thanks guys, i write all the songs so writing isn't a big deal. what we're probably gonna do is all day practices on saturdays as a full band. but periodically our bassist & lead guitar player would get together, or drums & lead, etc.
Quote by brucehead
okay thanks guys, i write all the songs so writing isn't a big deal. what we're probably gonna do is all day practices on saturdays as a full band. but periodically our bassist & lead guitar player would get together, or drums & lead, etc.

Thats probably a good idea, creates bonds between members, get tighter together.

I write all the lyrics and the guitar parts to my songs, however i like the other members to flex their creative muscles so usually the bassist and I get together to write so we have a plan when going into practice.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Thats probably a good idea, creates bonds between members, get tighter together.

I write all the lyrics and the guitar parts to my songs, however i like the other members to flex their creative muscles so usually the bassist and I get together to write so we have a plan when going into practice.

yea most of the lyrics are me & our lead player & music is me, our bassist, & our drummer. we're all longtime friends so bonding is still important
We practice as often as we can, because we love playing. That can be anywhere between 1 and 5 times a week. As for writing, that never goes on in practice. For a long time, we had a "band" that never practiced, because of the drummer and second guitarist. During that time, me and the lead guitarist used AIM and Guitar Pro to write 14 originals. The drummer and other guitarist eventually quit, we got new ones, and everything's working out great. We just play the songs that were already written.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
I'm in a band that only practices when we have a gig coming up, but then, we've been together for 8 years, it's a tribute band so there's no extra songs to be written and all the members are guys that have been jamming together for about 25 years, so for us practices ain't all that important.

But a band that's just starting out and writing material? I'd say at least once a week, but if your schedules won't allow that, then just practice as often as you possibly can.

The thing about practicing, you really need the next one to be pretty soon, otherwise you've forgotten half of what you rehearsed last time by the time the next rehearsal rolls around, so it's a good idea to record your reherasal, or at least the end product of that rehearsal, so that next time you can listen back to what you did last time and instantly pick up from where you left off last rehearsal.
It doesn't have to be a good quality recording, even an old portable cassette recorder with a build in microphone will be good enough, and if you try placing it in different areas of your practice place, you'll soon find a place where it picks up practicaly everything and gives you a fairly clean recording.
Quote by Armagedn
We practice as often as we can, because we love playing. That can be anywhere between 1 and 5 times a week. As for writing, that never goes on in practice. For a long time, we had a "band" that never practiced, because of the drummer and second guitarist. During that time, me and the lead guitarist used AIM and Guitar Pro to write 14 originals. The drummer and other guitarist eventually quit, we got new ones, and everything's working out great. We just play the songs that were already written.

Haha I thought we were the only ones who wrote songs via AIM. I think we wrote roughly 5 of our songs were AIM conversations