Okey dokey. I'm looking for new pickups for my MIM Strat, SSS configuration. I want a really clear clean tone with no mud whatsoever, a good solid bluesy tone, and a decent classic rocky type sound. I guess I want a vintage Strat tone, for the most part, but with enough power to cut through the mix. I've got a Peavey Delta Blues, so the amp isn't a problem. The most gain I use is about halfway on the OD channel.

Let's say I have hypothetically unlimited funds; I want to see the best I can get for my cash. Realistically, I'm looking to spend around $200-$250 USD at the most.
lace pickups?
lace gold or lace red/white/blue.
red white blue will get you more gain than the gold. never tried gold.

seymour duncan hot rails are good. pretty much the hottest single coils out there. cool rails are the same with a little less gain
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by cokeisbetter
...I want a really clear clean tone with no mud whatsoever, a good solid bluesy tone, and a decent classic rocky type sound. I guess I want a vintage Strat tone, for the most part, but with enough power to cut through the mix...
DiMarzio Chopper in the bridge and neck and a DiMarzio FS-1 in the middle.

5-way switching like an RG and you'll have just about every tone you'll ever need
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
^^ Eh, I don't really dig the rails in the neck. I'm not looking for a humbucking pickup, I just want a straight-up single coil.
^ They always look good, then I have no idea which ones to get!
Visually or aurally?

While the chopper is a humbucking pickup, it sounds like a very fat and clear single coil.

Take a listen to the sound clips on DiMarzios site, you'll see what I mean
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
OK, I've emailed Cord and I think I'm going to go with '62s in the neck and bridge with a Gorilla Groove '69 in the bridge. Woot.

I'm going to need a new pickguard, as the current setup is HSS. Where should I get the it? Any particularly good shops/sites?

And should I upgrade the electronics? Obviously it's cheaper to use the existing parts, but would new pots/caps/switch/wiring job make a noticeable difference?
Well if you know what kind of pickups you want, hit up Nuthinbuttruble or CorduroyEW for some customs man. They will always be better....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
OK, I'll hold off on mods for now. What about custom options? Cord'll do wax potting, beveled magnets, shielded wire, and an RWRP middle pickup for free. I'm definitely going to ask for the shielding and RWRP, but what about the potting and beveling? What effect will that have on my tone?
Beveling? No idea. Ask him, there must be a reason. Let me know!

I recommend sticking with the stock shellac potting. It sounds great, much more alive than wax. It's a tiny bit more susceptible to feedback, I guess...but I haven't had problems with it.
You can also have you coils shielded a little bit. It makes the pickups a tiny bit darker...but I think it's good for noise reduction.

Are you gonna put pickup covers on?
Alright, I'll stick with shellac, then. I'm going with plain white covers, stock-style. I guess I'll ask him about the beveling.
Here's what he says about beveling the magnets:

The bevel gives the magnetic field more focused. When you are strumming away the change in tone is so slight that most people can't hear it. When you are soloing it's a bit more noticeable. With the bevelled magnets, a bent note will scoop the volume and an unbent note will have a punchier attack but it also sound more brittle.

I didn't go with it.
^^ I'm pretty sure he's putting the covers on... I don't feel like breaking my shiny new pickups when I install them.

^ I've looked at them, and the general agreement seems to be that they sound really good... but 'really good' is a subjective thing, and I haven't really been able to find an actual description of the tone. Cord's pickups have pretty in-depth descriptions of the tone, and what I read I like. So I'm going with those.
Sorry to jack your thread a bit here TS, but you guys seem to have a bit of experience of Cord's pickups. Any thoughs on '62 Smooth Groove neck, CEW middle and 69' Gorilla Groove in the bridge? Going for a bit of a vintage blues/classic rock sound. Thanks
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
^ That's cool, you can hijack if you like.

Just for an update- I decided to hold off on the new pickups for a bit, but I'll go with this combination when I do buy them.
I have the SG-CEW and the Warm Gorilla Groove - I dunno what the warm one translates to, maybe a slightly hotter '69. Anyway the CEW was a bit thin in the bridge and a bit warm in the neck, so i'm getting a '62 for the neck, the CEW in the middle, getting a grounding plate for the bridge and then my setup will be completed. The CEW should sound perfect in the middle... The '62 neck/Warmer middle formvar is the sorta thing John Mayer has. Froosh has a '62 neck. The formvar ones are lovely. The bridge pickup is perfect for single coils also, IMO.

Btw coke, to answer your speaker question, and reading the tones you want in here, there's only one replacement 15" i'd really recommend - an Eminence Legend 105 (I think it's 105 anyway). It's got a slightly more vintage american tone, so it'd add a lovely smoothness to your Delta Blues. I can imagine the combo working really really nicely.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ Awesome, thanks. I just really needed to get some info on these pups before I spend 130 quid on them = S
I'm looking to buy an Epi Valve Standard. If you've got one up for grabs in the Uk, PM me and let me know.
Quote by Robdir
^ Awesome, thanks. I just really needed to get some info on these pups before I spend 130 quid on them = S
They're totally worth it. Also keep in mind UGers get a 10% discount from list price. They're great, you won't regret it if your amp is up to scratch.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Robdir
Sorry to jack your thread a bit here TS, but you guys seem to have a bit of experience of Cord's pickups. Any thoughs on '62 Smooth Groove neck, CEW middle and 69' Gorilla Groove in the bridge? Going for a bit of a vintage blues/classic rock sound. Thanks

The '62 is fantastic in the neck. That's what I have.
I don't have any clue about the CEW in the middle, or about the Gorilla Groove line.
I have a Swingin' Hot in the middle, and it sounds great.
Personally, I thought CEW was a great match for the bridge position. Fatter than a normal Strat single, while keeping the single coil charm.