I'm having trouble picking a good theme from this book to write on for my higher english, any suggestions?.

My only idea for a theme is conrol but i thought i should put it past the pit first .
opression?

kinda the same, but depending on what grade your in you could pull it off
Control is such a wide topic. Exploring the theme of sexual repression might be interesting, or censorship?
Manipulation?
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
How about something less broad than controll. I agree that sexual repression is a good one. You probably want to write something as bizzare as possible as no instructor would really want to read dozens of essays on 1984, what do you think no one else would write about?

I'd probably explore the idea of history always being revisionist, since that's a pretty common theme in the book, and it seems a little less cliche than a lot of what you'd get. Or talk about linguistic themes like Doublespeak, chances are your English prof will apprectiate someone delving into proper English class issues rather than broadly social ones.
I'm reading the book at the moment, I'm glad I never had to do it at college, would spoil the awesome book.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
How about something less broad than controll. I agree that sexual repression is a good one. You probably want to write something as bizzare as possible as no instructor would really want to read dozens of essays on 1984, what do you think no one else would write about?

I'd probably explore the idea of history always being revisionist, since that's a pretty common theme in the book, and it seems a little less cliche than a lot of what you'd get. Or talk about linguistic themes like Doublespeak, chances are your English prof will apprectiate someone delving into proper English class issues rather than broadly social ones.

that is true but i don't realy think that anyone in higher english at my school is doing it, the favourite seems to be lord of the flies. So maybe 1/150 is doing 1984.

The sexual repression however could be a good essay
opression
controll
rebellion
separation of classes
Invasion
Acceptance
Emotional Manipulation
Phsyical Manipulation
Dictatorsip of relationships
forbiden love

Enough???

(And i've read this for pleasure...not an english paper)
You're So Scene Right Now ^_^

Quote by Kensai
Finally his girlfriend found out what it was like giving oral sex to fishsmelling genital organs.
Quote by Open fire
opression
controll
rebellion
separation of classes
Invasion
Acceptance
Emotional Manipulation
Phsyical Manipulation
Dictatorsip of relationships
forbiden love

Enough???

(And i've read this for pleasure...not an english paper)

yea, it changes the book though knowing you have to read it for a paper, rather than just because it's a great book
Control, oppression, and, to a lesser extent, manipulation are all pretty cliched topics for this book. I thought the suggestion of sexual repression above was pretty fresh. That's a good idea for sure. You could also examine the class divide, such as the extra privileges O'Brien gets because of his position in the society, and the suffering of proles.
brainwashing
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
I'd probably do a past/future theme or something having to do with "whoever controls the present controls the past, and whoever controls the past controls the future."
Compliance? or you write about the things that make people feel like they are gettin a good deal like how big brother makes out things were worse before...stuff like that? the thing about controlling the past. It would be cool to mention the proles cuz they ain't under as much control...the books rocks! my fav
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
The Dangers of Totalitarianism
Psychological Manipulation
Physical Control
Control of Information and History
Technology
Language as Mind Control
Call me Jack
i had to do an essey on a different book, one of the themes being repression.

i think i wrote the words 'immoral' and 'repression' in that about 9000 times
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I asume that this is a baccalaurete of some kind, probably the ib, if that is the case, sexual reppresion is a good one, as is Orwell's attack on Stalin, possibly through material deprivation, lack of materials, crappy food and even sexual repressions is a part of that, bearing in mind this society is his prediction of the future of Soviet Russia