Hey guys. I'm fairly new to EQing bass. You see, I really want a good punchy punk sound like the song in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jlLVfyrOcQ . I'm worried I'll have to buy a new amp but before I go through all that, I wanted to ask you guys what you thought.

I'm running a Squier vintage modified 70's jazz bass with a quarter pounder in the bridge through an SWR bass 350 head. It's got a tube preamp. I'm running that head through a fender bassman 410 cabinet. I've been looking at some mesa cabinets (specifically the powerhouse 410) and am wondering if that will improve my sound by a lot. Any help is appreciated
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
If you're not already playing with a pick, that would definitely get you closer. Using heavy compression and boosting the mids will help too. 4x10s tend to be pretty punchy and although I haven't liked SWRs when I've played them in the stores, I know some bassists who get great punchy sound out of them. Your amp/cab probably isn't the problem.
I do play with a pick. My sound is Trebly, it just lacks that "punch". Should I maybe look into a compressor?
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

That's easy, just play with a pick, leave bass flat (nothing taken or given) and boost middle and treble to taste.

EDIT: For future reference your mids are your punch, if you have tons of mid you'll have a strong attacking sound. don't go too far though, overly prominent bass will clutter the music up in most genres.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Last edited by wouldyakindly at Aug 29, 2008,
fender_punk wat does the VM jazz sound like with the quarter pounder??
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
it kinda sounds like he just turned the treble all the way up, the bass a little lower than the treble. high mid. and the tone on the guitar is all the way down i think....
dont count on it 100 percent but it mite be smthin like that. and use a pick. i hate picks on basses but it gives it a really sharp attack. idk about effects tho. good luck
-that guy
Boosting your mids will give you the punch you're looking for. Turn up the 800-1000Hz range. A compressor will help, but seriously, the mids.

Also make sure your tone knob is turned all the way clockwise (so it puts out the most treble) and maybe lower the bridge pickup volume the tiniest bit. But only after you've turned up the mids.

EDIT: In accordance with the person above whose name I forgot when I went to edit the post, yeah, high mids should be turned up more, so make it the 1000-1500Hz range. Experiment. Turn up the midrange level knob on your amp and then twist the frequency knob while playing until it sounds best.
i found the 350 was trebley, turn the bass and mids up, and the gain to give you some nice growl which that amp is great for, if you have too much gain though you might lose the low end. keep the treble down if its too trebley

EDIT: listening to the song i would keep the bass and treble about the same with maybe a notch more for treble, and turn the mids up and the gain at about half.... my answers are in compensation for the natural sound of that amp
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Last edited by mosh_face at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by Vampire 255
fender_punk wat does the VM jazz sound like with the quarter pounder??

Through my friends already eq'd ampeg svt rig, it sounded like a punk rock dream come true.

As to the user that guessed how i was eq'd, your pretty much right except my tone is on full. lol. So, I should try bass around 5, mids around what like... 8? and treble around 8? just as a guide line? I'll fine tune it from there.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Quote by Fender_punk
As to the user that guessed how i was eq'd, your pretty much right except my tone is on full. lol. So, I should try bass around 5, mids around what like... 8? and treble around 8? just as a guide line? I'll fine tune it from there.

That sounds kinda excessive.

I would probably do

Bass - 5
Mids - 7
Treble - 6.5

but thats just me.

EDIT: Have you tried blending the pickup signals? Obviously, the bridge pickup will offer more treble and midrange, and the neck will add a little boom to your sound.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I'd love to blend pickups but long story short, I'm only rollin with a bridge pickup. Thanks for all the quick responses though. If anyone else wants to add anyhting, feel free.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410

Quote by Fender_punk
I'd love to blend pickups but long story short, I'm only rollin with a bridge pickup. Thanks for all the quick responses though. If anyone else wants to add anyhting, feel free.

How come you only have one pickup? Your bass is supposed to have two
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.

he does have 2 pick-ups in his bass hes only using the bridge i think

Quote by ScottB.

he probably got a loose wire and only one is working.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Vampire 255
he does have 2 pick-ups in his bass hes only using the bridge i think

He said that he would love to be able to blend pickups.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
He said that he would love to be able to blend pickups.

oh sorry i didnt read it properly

I know I've been hawking this a lot lately, but check out my EQing blogs. They'll really, really help your situation.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Sweet, thanks the fitz. As for my pickup situation, I bought the bass off a friend who only bought it to practice wiring. I was GASing for a VM jazz since I saw them so I picked it up. I only had enough cash for one pickup but the kid has since given me the duncan designs that were already in it so i'll wire it as soon as i get more cash to take it in.
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410