I've been learning settle for nothing by RATM, and I'm stuck at the solo. I can do it with hammer-ons, but i want to do it properly, however my picking hand is not fast enough. (May have something to do with the fact I pick with my weak hand).

Are there any exercises, etc, that I can do to improve picking speed?

Cheers.
alternate pick? Tremolo pick? I'v never heard the song personally, but using different techniques is a good start...
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Simple Tips are use the wrist to pick, relax your entire arm to ensure no tension, which will slow down your arm.... then, what everybody will tell you, slow it down to a stupidly slow speed, then notch it up slight as you become increasingly comfortable with that speed, and use a metronome! eventually it will be completely second nature to play that fast! Eventually meaning months by the way, not hours!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Last edited by Tenacious D'er at Aug 29, 2008,
practice, if you want to learn that solo play it slow enough to pick it so everynote is clear then slower bring it faster as you get used to the technique
Gear
Carvin custum dc 747
Ibanez rg 520qs
Homemade Nocaster
Hofner violin bass
Hughes & Kettner Swithcblade 100 head
Ampeg v-4 412's (one with veteran 30's one with stock speakers)
Randall 412
Vintage Supra
ISP Decimater G-string
Ah yes, a metronome. I'll try that. Thanks for the advice everyone. Does your picking hand position matter much? I My little, ring and middle finger all stick out, whereas I've seen most other people have all of their fingers grouped together.
there are LOOOOADS of exercises you can find on the net to help your picking
as far as general tips go, aswell as whats already been said bout relaxation, picking using the wrist and starting slow....
start off developing your alternate tremelo picking (one note on one string) - practice on all strings though because they all feel different
then move on to practicing string crossing etc.
another thing that I found helpful is really to work on your upstrokes (most people have a stronger downstroke than an upstroke, which means u dont get nice even alternate strokes)

Edit:
fingers together or spread out doesnt really make much difference i dont think, but where the side of your hand is positioned, makes a difference. some people float their whole hand over the guitar, but i think the correct technique is to rest it on the bridge so you mute the strings that your not playing. Essential if youre playing metal with lots of dist!
Don't make me sick into my own scorn
____

If ya don't give a sh!t ya getcha hellyeah
Throwin' fists in the pit ya getcha hellyeah
Think you're f~ckin' with this well hell no.
Balls, volume, strength getcha' come on!
Last edited by BluesShredUK at Aug 29, 2008,
I dont rest my hand on the bridge, but on the lower strings that I'm not playing. Is this acceptable?

And thanks about the fingers together thing. I was worried I would have to spend ages relearning to pick.
Quote by anerasedcitizen
I've been learning settle for nothing by RATM, and I'm stuck at the solo. I can do it with hammer-ons, but i want to do it properly, however my picking hand is not fast enough. (May have something to do with the fact I pick with my weak hand).

Are there any exercises, etc, that I can do to improve picking speed?

Cheers.

If you want to learn that solo then the best thing to practice is the solo itself. Perfect it slowly then gradually look to increase the speed over time, and we're talking weeks or possibly months here, not minutes or hours.

However if you simply can't play that fast then you can't play that fast, there's nothing that you can do about it in the short term. There's no way to force an increase in speed because how fast you can play is entirely dependent on other factors, namely your physical stamina and dexterity and also your accuracy and control over both hands and your ability to use them in synchronisation. All those are things you can actively work on to improve them, if you do that then it will enable you to play faster. Speed itself isn't an aspect of your playing, just a by-product of other things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's not that your hand isn't fast enough, it's that your hands aren't coordinated with each other. You need to make sure that they are moving in unison and flowing together. If that means playing the song at mind-numbingly slow speeds, so be it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.