Im looking for a guitar amp for about 200-300 pound about 800 dollars. It is for practice mainly but if it could be used for gigging that would be great. I play mstuff like RHCP, metallica, nirvana, rock stuff like that. Although I would like good cleans as well as distortion. THX in Advance.
originally posted by- bendystraw
oh and a classic:
"hey you play guitar"? *swipes without permission*
"dOOd your guitars way out of tune."
me:"its in drop D idiot"
him:"ill drop D on your mom!"
200-300 pounds =/= $800!

More like $350-$550.

In that price range check out something like a Peavey ValveKing.
i had the same price range but then for like $200US more i bought a Fender Twin Reverb on Ebay for 1000. It was a great buy bc not only does it have the most sparkling cleans of pretty much any combo other than maybe a VoxAc30 but it is incredibly pedal friendly so if u buy a distortion pedal it should work really well. Since the bands u listed don't really tune down too much it should be ok. Unless you play metal with really low tunings like drop C, it should be good. At 85watts this amp is really loud, good for gigs. Also, the vibrato that comes with it is good and the reverb is the most plush creamy thing you will ever hear. Good Luck.
I looked at the valve king and it looks godd but what speaker would it use???
originally posted by- bendystraw
oh and a classic:
"hey you play guitar"? *swipes without permission*
"dOOd your guitars way out of tune."
me:"its in drop D idiot"
him:"ill drop D on your mom!"
The VK comes stock with a Peavey ValveKing speaker(s) (yea... what an original name lol). In my experience Peavey speakers aren't very good. If you get the VK then I would highly recommend a speaker swap.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you get the VK then I would highly recommend a speaker swap.

Then why not just buy a better amp to begin with? You just jacked up his budget.
i say save up a bit more for a used jcm 900

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by gregs1020
Then why not just buy a better amp to begin with? You just jacked up his budget.

Just because the VK has a crap stock speaker doesn't mean that its a bad amp and no I didn't "jack up his budget". For the price, you will be hard pressed to find a tube amp as good as the VK unless you get something used.

A VK 112 with a replacement speaker will still ring up at under $500.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Just because the VK has a crap stock speaker doesn't mean that its a bad amp and no I didn't "jack up his budget". For the price, you will be hard pressed to find a tube amp as good as the VK unless you get something used.

A VK 112 with a replacement speaker will still ring up at under $500.

I like the VK, but once you go upgrading one you put yourself in a pricerange of better amps. I agree with you, buying used is the way to go and the TS may have much better options used where he lives than we know of. Instead of buying an amp to upgrade, I think it's smarter to buy a amp that doesn't need upgrading.
any suggestions to what kind of speacker to swap with the peavey stock one in the valveking