Hey the other day my friend asked me to recommend him an amp and electric guitar. He's just starting to play if that helps. He told me he was looking at spending $200 on his guitar, $100 on his amp. I suggested him to either flip the budget around or balance it out.Here's what I recommended.

Electric Guitar: Just told him to look at the lower end Fenders, Ibanez's, and Epi's. I always told him to possibly look at Rondo's and Fernandez(?)

Amp: I recomended the Roland Microcube.

I told him I could give him wires and picks and all that. Is that a good set up for a beginner?
Wow... if he starts off with a fender, that'll be a good setup.. but you gotta remember, Modelling amps dont take digital effects well.. so if he wants to experiment with pedals like wah or something, it may cause problems, but that sounds like a awesome setup
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
if he never played a guitar before i think he should play a classical guitar first and by the time hes good at it he can buy a good electric guitar..
thats what i did anyway
Guitars : id agree with you,lower end Ibanez or Squiers arent so bad for begginers
Amp : i would say a Kustom Dart10fx (i had it) is a good choice.
Pedal : i would recomend a Distortion pedal,because cheap amps tend to have bad gain channels.
Laguana guitar package.

/thread
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
go with the micro cube, it's a killer little amp.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Quote by ortrigger
Microcube would be great for an amp. and this guitar.

this link is a pretty nice cheap ibanez.
Quote by ortrigger
Microcube would be great for an amp. and this guitar.

I agree with this guy, the microcubes a great amp, and I love Ibanez's entry level basses and guitars.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I'd actually steer clear of the Micro Cube. It's a sweet little starter amp, sure, but the Cube 15X is better. And, last I checked, GC had the Cube 15X for about $100. The Micro Cubes were $127.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.
Quote by 742627000017
Dont buy guitar packages

I don't agree. If you really start from scratch you don't just need a guitar and an amp. You must also have a cord, a strap, a stand, a bag and a tuner, and maybe a booklet/dvd explaining how to switch it all on. Starter packs get you going for a very reasonable price and without the fuzz of having to shop around. That in the long run most of the items that come out of such a box will not satisfy needs of the advanced player is OK for now. To be able to judge what kind of expensive gear you really need you must have some experience as an instrumentalist, and to get that you'll need to play guitar first.
See the twist?
Get that starter pack and save a lot of money now. If the habit sticks, you're going to spend it and a whole lot more later. No need to hurry.
Quote by Isidora
I'd actually steer clear of the Micro Cube. It's a sweet little starter amp, sure, but the Cube 15X is better. And, last I checked, GC had the Cube 15X for about $100. The Micro Cubes were $127.

The Microcube is much better than the 15, plus you get the option for batteries so it doesn't become redundant when you upgrade.

As far as a guitar goes Yamaha Pacifica 112

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Microcubes are rather good. I'd personally go either for an Epiphone or a Fender depending on what he wants to play. The whole single coil vs humbucker thing emerges. That said, I've never played an Ibanez, so I don't know about them.
Quote by steven seagull
The Microcube is much better than the 15, plus you get the option for batteries so it doesn't become redundant when you upgrade.

As far as a guitar goes Yamaha Pacifica 112

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077

What Steven said, Microcube and a Pacifica 112 will be a good setup.