So I think I'm going to start meditating.
Because a bunch of **** happened with my g/f that i had for over 2 years.
Now I'm always moody.
And stressed out.

So I was reading about meditating and how I should do it and stuff.
I think I kind of understand it but any of you guys have any tips about it??
Do you know what's better than meditating?

Doing something constructive.

You've a limited amount of time on this planet, use it.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Drink whiskey instead, if it's woman troubles.

I concur!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Well in buddhist meditation we focus on our breath. Like at the temple they always tell me to not think of anything else, clear my mind and focus on my breathing. Feel how it cools your nostrils as it enters and how your lungs expand and stuff.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
"Im going to meditate"
AKA Sit around on my ass being depressed. Trying to tell myself its not that by giving it some weird name (meditate, what is that honestly?) and go no where.
Go bungie jumping naked.
Swim across with Atlantic.
Write the next greatest song.
Create a liquid that gives people the ability to fly after consumption.
Your girl was an experience, theres plenty more out there
Live your life and have fun!
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
The most truth I've heard in the pit.
ever.
▼▲
Just play your guitar and get over it, it's great stress relief.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Meditation is really great. I have a tattoo of the Buddha, and I read up on the whole thing often, so at times I'm really into it.

I can't say I meditate everyday, not even once a week typically, but the few times I have done it, I came out of it feeling great.

Sometimes, like now for instance, I just don't have the patience to do it.

But seriously, I broke up with my girlfriend of over 4 years, and at first, I was meditating a lot. Keep it up, forget the girl.

Like my grandfather always tells me "You got a long without her before you met her, you can get along without her now."
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by denn0069
"Im going to meditate"
AKA Sit around on my ass being depressed. Trying to tell myself its not that by giving it some weird name (meditate, what is that honestly?) and go no where.
Go bungie jumping naked.
Swim across with Atlantic.
Write the next greatest song.
Create a liquid that gives people the ability to fly after consumption.
Your girl was an experience, theres plenty more out there
Live your life and have fun!

No.
It's looking inwards at yourself not distracting yourself with unimportant things that are ultimately useless.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
No.
It's looking inwards at yourself not distracting yourself with unimportant things that are ultimately useless.

This is good for guitar practice too.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
No.

Yes because "looking in at yourself" is the best way to experience life to its fullest.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
ever.
▼▲
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
No.

This.
try to find some audio that balances the two hemispheres of your brain

synchronicity.org

my friend's uncle is the guy that runs that whole program. I've meditated in his house with him before, it felt better than heroin
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
Quote by denn0069
Yes because "looking in at yourself" is the best way to experience life to its fullest.

Depends on what you consider important.

No need to look down on someone for their beliefs, that's very ignorant.

Look at it from a Buddhist perspective; they give up all material posessions because they want to seek enlightenment. Which, if you believe in it, is infinitely more 'important' than guitar playing.

Think outside the box, man, one day you won't be here.

RMF

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
No need to look down on someone for their beliefs, that's very ignorant.

You just did it to me 2 posts ago.
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
ever.
▼▲
To all those criticizing meditation, have you ever tried it? If the answer is anything other than a resounding 'yes, many times' then STFU and GTFO. 5 bucks says none of you have ever meditated, nor do you actually know what it's truly about. It's far more than just sitting around being moody, it's far more than shutting the fuck up and sitting down, it's very effective in stress management and it is very helpful for a general better feeling about life. I'd recommend anybody try it. I don't do it often, though when I do I enjoy it immensely.

TS, check out the erowid link, that's how I first started meditating and I got very good results in a relatively short space of time. Don't expect miracles, in fact don't expect anything. The best piece of advice is don't do meditation for a reason, do it for its own sake. It's an end in itself, not a means to another end.

Alternatively drink whisky.

Quote by denn0069

No, he didn't.
Quote by denn0069

I didn't look down on you at all, I just made a counter-point. You used a sarcastic reply coupled with that patronising smiley.

Nice to see you dodged an entire argument to make a pointless rebuttal though. Anyway, some people want to meditate, some people don't even want to try. I would recommend it though.

RMF

Quote by blynd_snyper
To all those criticizing meditation, have you ever tried it? If the answer is anything other than a resounding 'yes, many times' then STFU and GTFO. 5 bucks says none of you have ever meditated, nor do you actually know what it's truly about. It's far more than just sitting around being moody, it's far more than shutting the fuck up and sitting down, it's very effective in stress management and it is very helpful for a general better feeling about life. I'd recommend anybody try it. I don't do it often, though when I do I enjoy it immensely.

TS, check out the erowid link, that's how I first started meditating and I got very good results in a relatively short space of time. Don't expect miracles, in fact don't expect anything. The best piece of advice is don't do meditation for a reason, do it for its own sake. It's an end in itself, not a means to another end.

Alternatively drink whisky.

And after meditating you will believe that no one has the right to freedom of opinion.

I have tried it before many times, my Phys Ed. teacher in High School was very intent on/into the whole meditation process.
It works similar to a dream catcher, if you know how that works.
It does slow the heart rate, yes I won't deny that. And for hectic people gives them a chance to just stop and let loose.
But, sleep does more, scientifically speaking if you get the 8 hours a night you're supposed to.
So PERSONALLY I believe, especially when trying to get your mind off something, going out and doing activities or learning new things is more beneficial.
It also gives you the opportunity to develop who you are through experiences and learn who you are through experiences. And maybe meet a new girl
▼▲
Quote by shdowfox17
awesome avatar,denn0069!
Quote by Valo
ever.
▼▲
Quote by denn0069
And after meditating you will believe that no one has the right to freedom of opinion.

I have tried it before many times, my Phys Ed. teacher in High School was very intent on/into the whole meditation process.
It works similar to a dream catcher, if you know how that works.
It does slow the heart rate, yes I won't deny that. And for hectic people gives them a chance to just stop and let loose.
But, sleep does more, scientifically speaking if you get the 8 hours a night you're supposed to.
So PERSONALLY I believe, especially when trying to get your mind off something, going out and doing activities or learning new things is more beneficial.
It also gives you the opportunity to develop who you are through experiences and learn who you are through experiences. And maybe meet a new girl

Ah, wonderful, a constructive reply to a help seeking thread. This is the kind of thing I enjoy seeing at the beginning of threads, not two thirds the way down the front page. Had you stated this in the beginning I would have taken your reply far more seriously, however as it was you came off as completely ignorant and attempting to ruin an otherwise fine thread. In future please don't fill threads with seemingly arrogant comments such as "AKA Sit around on my ass being depressed. Trying to tell myself its not that by giving it some weird name (meditate, what is that honestly?) and go no where."

Oh, and I fully believe in freedom of speech, however not only are you not speaking, so much as typing on an online forum, which, as stated in the rules, has no freedom of speech, but you came into a thread regarding meditation tips and instead of giving tips made a poor attempt at convincing the TS to not take this activity up.

Keep up the good posting, drop the crap stuff.

Anyway, I've just noticed the last few posts have been completely disruptive and I'm going to leave this thread up to people who actually want to be productive. Have fun.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Aug 29, 2008,
I'm reviving this thread so we can discuss more meditation related things... I apologize to all those who think this is a bad idea...

Anyhow, I'm thinking of starting meditating as well, anybody else?