I've gotten pretty decent at playing guitar while sitting down, now however, when I play while standing I have a hard time hitting solos w/ 16's in them that require fast alt picking and string skipping. My pick always starts to slide out of my hand and sometimes even falls out. The way I have my guitar positioned is so that the bridge pickup is right on my crotch area.

I am not considering moving the guitar up because it frankly looks like **** that way. Any suggestions form guitarists who play low and know a way to hold the pick that allows you to strum hard, solo, and pull off harmonics would be appreciated.
you should hold your guitar higher, so that its at about the same place you play when your sitting, then lower it gradually every week or so, that way you can adjust your playing style so when you stand up its easier
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
hate to say this but, try it with the guitar high (wich you dont like) then play it till you can pull it off. Then lower your guitar a little and do it again untill you can do it at the desired height.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Personally I would move the guitar up so it is easier to get at but that's just me and how I like to play.
Quote by adamrokk
I've gotten pretty decent at playing guitar while sitting down, now however, when I play while standing I have a hard time hitting solos w/ 16's in them that require fast alt picking and string skipping. My pick always starts to slide out of my hand and sometimes even falls out. The way I have my guitar positioned is so that the bridge pickup is right on my crotch area.

I am not considering moving the guitar up because it frankly looks like **** that way. Any suggestions form guitarists who play low and know a way to hold the pick that allows you to strum hard, solo, and pull off harmonics would be appreciated.

However, currently you sound like ****

You can't have it both ways, something has to give here. My advice? Stop being a poser and learn to play your guitar properly. Last time I looked the guitar was a musical instrument, not a visual performance art.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 29, 2008,
you can move the guitar up and that will prolly help, but if your pick falls out or slips when you play, you're holding your pick wrong. If you're holding your pick right, it won't fall out. You prolly don't need to grip it harder, it's all about technique.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
hey, if you can rock the **** out of a guitar, who cares where it is on you. I personally find it easier to play bass and guitar higher up. It's easier on your wrist and lets you reach the higher frets easier.
Quote by Henkdemachtige
hate to say this but, try it with the guitar high (wich you dont like) then play it till you can pull it off. Then lower your guitar a little and do it again untill you can do it at the desired height.

Do this. It worked for me.
If I move the guitar up I can play everything fine just like when I'm sitting down, it's when I slide it down that my picking hand goes bad. I've seen a lot of live shows with guitarists who can play low and still sound great. (No I'm not talking about some ****ty boy band that just mashes chords all day, but technical solos)
Quote by Henkdemachtige

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it