Honestly can someone tell me is it really worth tuning my guitar any lower than drop c. I look up alot of tabs and I see bands playing in drop A and drop B but I have a floyd rose so its hard to mess around with alot of tunings. Im just really curious what these lower tunings bring to the table besides the obvious lower notes and deeper sound.
Better sound, better crunch, bending the strings is a lot easier. Just sounds heavier and more massive, I guess.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Bands that use these tuning have no/ or a terrible bass player.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
bands with that tuning su*k!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Personally, I think drop C is the lowest anyone should go without a 7-string. There are plenty of songs in standard tuning, and songs can always be transposed, they might even sound better in a different key. But in terms of writing songs, if you can't come up with something in drop C-standard tuning, you're not going to find anything anywhere else.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
pinch harmonics sound br00tal
for me they do anyway....
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
bands tune diferent for three posible reason:

1- As the main singer becomes older, they can't gradually reach high notes... so they detune the guitars so the singer has to "detune" the vocal melodies also
2- some bands like nile or behemoth just want to put your ass in fire with heavy and explosive riffs, so they tune them very low
3- In case of bands like fear factory, the singer is a baritone, so his low singing fits better in 7 string guitars or detune guitars
4- professional musicians tune their guitar in tunings that match the scale they are playing.
You won't get an E minor chord as beautiful as it sounds on standard tuning

in think those are the posible reasons
It sounds good for the most part, but i can never be bothered to tune down to drop A, ve only got 11's on my guitars so the strings are a bit too spaghetti like. Some bands do it to try and sound heavier i think, but in some cases it doesnt work, stuff can be teh br00talz in standard as well.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by Deflection
Better sound, better crunch, bending the strings is a lot easier. Just sounds heavier and more massive, I guess.

False. To accomodate for lower tunings, you must use bigger strings, therefor it equals out. Its no easier. Somtimes harder, depending on how big of strings you get.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
False. To accomodate for lower tunings, you must use bigger strings, therefor it equals out. Its no easier. Somtimes harder, depending on how big of strings you get.

You can't just flat out tell this guy he's wrong. I think Karl Sanders from Nile probably finds it easier to bend; he uses a 10 for his top E in drop A so
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Isnt necrophagist standard d....?

Sorry, but theres no way hes using a 10 for his low e in drop a. His strings would be like slinkies.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator