Ok, so I’ve been studying over the forums and tutorials on UG like they were the bible. I’m really intent on learning theory, and I think I’m grasping most of it a lot easier than the last time I tried.

Right now I’ve been reading about scales and soloing with them. Now here’s what I can’t seem to get clarified:

Does the scale need to correspond with the backing chord?
By this, I mean . . . Say I’m playing a chord progression of C, Em, C (totally off the top of my head, sorry if that doesn’t ‘sound right&rsquo. Would I then solo a C scale while the C chord was backing? Then switch to an Em scale while Em is backing? Or would I just play any scale in the key of C?

I can’t seem to find an answer to that anywhere. Any help would be great. Thanks!
starting off, you pick a scale that is in key for all the chords, take this chord progression:

Bm-A-G-Em-A

The key is B minor, so pick a scale that starts with B. Since the key is minor, go with the scale of B natural minor. This is the starting point of learning to play over a chord progression. All the notes in every chord are in the scale, meaning if you stick to the scale none of the notes will clash with the chords(diatonically). Have you, some of the notes will sound better at different times depending on where you are in the progression, it takes practice to figure out how to do this well. A lot of practice.
Last edited by farcry at Aug 29, 2008,
once you find a progression in a certain key, find a scale that goes along with it. no, you dont need to switch scales every time the progression changes, because all of the chords in the progression will be in the same key.
Does the scale need to correspond with the backing chord?

You don't NEED to do anything in music.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
You don't NEED to do anything in music.

Thats true, but the TS is looking for a specific answer.

TS, It would be better to use the E minor scale, not the C Major scale. Because the progression as I hear it resolves to Em.
When you're in over the chord of C major, use the E minor scale, and make emphasis on C-E-G. When you're over the E minor chord, use the E minor scale, and emphasize E-G-B. Don't be afraid of using passing tones.
Ok, so where do the scale MODES come in, in reference to the chords?

Like say I wanted to use a C Dorian scale . . . would I use the same chords as when I were using a C Ionian? . . . or since D is the second note in the C scale, would I use a D Dorian?
No you cant reall use the same chords. Modes have a totally different harmony system as opposed to major and minor.
In D dorian, a typical progression would be going back and forth between Dm7 and G7. If you don't know how the major scale works, learn that first, it'll make modes much easier.