Anyone have any new 2008 updates and mod lists on a Valve Jr. Everything im finding is around 2006-2007. Most of the the information I have read is all pretty old for the most part. I would think someone would have some pretty intresting mods for this thing by now considering the fact there was a pretty imense amount of knowlede passed around in 2006.

Thanks for any help
In 2007 the V3 was released... There is tons of info out there. All mods apply to all the versions anyways.

I don't know what you consider interesting but look around...people have added gain switches, bright switches, voicing switches, pentode/triode switches, NFB switches. Gain, tone and master volume switches have been added. People have added an extra tube for gain stages or a tube based effect.

People have even made VJs into 18W Lite.

Look around the info is out there... There is tons of threads about the VJ on UG alone.
Check the modding repository. Circuitwise the V3 is the best of the three, but it can still be modded if you want that extra xxx thing.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by kurtlives91
In 2007 the V3 was released... There is tons of info out there. All mods apply to all the versions anyways.

I don't know what you consider interesting but look around...people have added gain switches, bright switches, voicing switches, pentode/triode switches, NFB switches. Gain, tone and master volume switches have been added. People have added an extra tube for gain stages or a tube based effect.

People have even made VJs into 18W Lite.

Look around the info is out there... There is tons of threads about the VJ on UG alone.

18W lite? Really? How's that?
Is it any good?
Ya some guys on 18W.com or Sewatt did it. added a gain stage and another EL84 I believe. Its an extensive mod, your really just using the VJ as a building block.

No idea if its good. I wouldn't do it personally. Id rather work on my own normal 18W.
Yea the one I have is a V3.. Im basically looking at just doing a few minor tweaks. I have a few mods in my head but nothing locked down solid yet. Im wanthing it to have earlier break up and a bit more gain but on the smooth side of the spectrum. Going to be using it for classic rock mainly. Looking for a Marshall/Orange type of tone with a really mellow but full sounding gain structure.

Heres what im thinking...

R6 – Two stage gain switch with something like a 100k-320K (possible no resistor straight jumper) and 1m-1.2M resistor will test out a few values to see what I like best
R5 – 220K resistor 500K pot for master volume control
R7 – 39K resistor 100K pot parallel for gain pot
Replace stock Volume pot with 1m
C1 with a .0068

Install a bright switch and maybe replace filter caps.
I mentioned in my first VJ mod thread how to wire a master volume control. If you straight up replace R5 the results wont be pleasing.

Your idea with R6 is good... I used a 820K and a 1.2M resistor. I call it my Fender/Marshall switch.

If your replacing C1 you might as well replace the other coupling cap as well. You don't have to change its value but use good quality caps, they really make a big difference.
Quote by kurtlives91
Ya some guys on 18W.com or Sewatt did it. added a gain stage and another EL84 I believe. Its an extensive mod, your really just using the VJ as a building block.

No idea if its good. I wouldn't do it personally. Id rather work on my own normal 18W.
Yeah, basically you rip the VJ circuitry out, and use the stock PT, chassis, switches, holes etc to make a 2-12AX7, 2-EL84 18w Lite IIb.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by kurtlives91
I mentioned in my first VJ mod thread how to wire a master volume control. If you straight up replace R5 the results wont be pleasing.

Your idea with R6 is good... I used a 820K and a 1.2M resistor. I call it my Fender/Marshall switch.

If your replacing C1 you might as well replace the other coupling cap as well. You don't have to change its value but use good quality caps, they really make a big difference.

Cool, Ill check out your thread again on the Master volume..

And yea the plan is to replace all the caps, dont have enough caps on hand to replace all of them yet.

And thanks..