Not really sure what to title this thread. But basically what I'm asking is that for my final recording mixes, what is the usual level of volume for mp3s?

I always seem to have this problem at the end, sometimes they come out too loud/soft, or sometimes they sound really good! I use Acoustica Mixcraft 4 btw.

I was thinking keeping all the tracks in my recording just below the red volume levels but that sounds really loud when I listen to the playback of the recording. Will that change when converted to MP3?

Any tips would be great! Thanks.
myspace.com/realignedriffs
myspace.com/anthony4458

Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top
GHS Boomers 0.11
VOX AD50VT
Digitech Rp70
Dunlop CryBaby
Do you have a limiting plugin (or better yet a mastering one)? If you do, apply that to the stereo mastered track. The loudest points should be at 0db...and a little bit of compression for consistency (use your ears as a guide).
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Any recommendations for a mastering or limiting plugin?
myspace.com/realignedriffs
myspace.com/anthony4458

Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top
GHS Boomers 0.11
VOX AD50VT
Digitech Rp70
Dunlop CryBaby
i usually just use a small bit of hard limiting at the end of it all.

nothing peaks over 0 and everything gets boosted a bit. maybe 3 DB or more depending how much i can boost before it starts to sound like its breathing or getting squashed.

your levels should be fairly consistent before you hard limit tho.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
For audio you should be at 0db
For video production and broadcasting the level is normally turned down to -12db

Compressors and hard limiters should boost your overall volume and even out the spikes, usually from drums.

I use Boost11 and LP-64 Multiband linear phase mastering compressor/limiter.
Both which came with Sonar 7 however these days you can use mastering software which is fair in price such as These