Well yesterday I ordered this Ibanez AWD102 which I decided on after a few trips to some guitar stores recently. I went for that over a bigger semi-hollow because it feels closer to the strat-like style I'm used to and is very versatile (I'm getting it mainly for jazz, but it needs to act as backup for my funk band and blues trio).

Anyway, I'm just wondering (seeing as when guitarists decide they're going to mod their guitars it can take years for anything to actually happen) - should I bother trying to add some locking tuners and perhaps replace the pickups? (I can't find any reviews of these particular pups, although I thought they were nice) - or should I just leave it for awhile.
99% it's up to you.......
just give it a try when it arrives and then make your decision
my advice..dont mod it..itll take too long and ull end up messin something up
...signature...
Quote by killjoys
my advice..dont mod it..itll take too long and ull end up messin something up

completely disagree with that line of thinking

TS, see how it holds tune. thats going to be the main thing. Other than that, see about adding tonal options, like coil taps and high pass filters. the pickups on that should be pretty decent.

Not all mods have to be messy!
Quote by Rational_Gaze
Why would you want locking tuners...

They're more practical (especially for gigging), better tuning stability?
Quote by Tomaz24

Not really, my Schecter stays in tune at least as good as any guitar Ive played with locking nut and floating bridge and you can change the tuning without any problems. Only advantage IMO to a locking nut and FB is if you use the tremolo bar alot.
Quote by Rational_Gaze
Not really, my Schecter stays in tune at least as good as any guitar Ive played with locking nut and floating bridge and you can change the tuning without any problems. Only advantage IMO to a locking nut and FB is if you use the tremolo bar alot.

He would install locking tuners, not a locking nut. Two completely different things.
And locking tuners are easier to change strings on aswell.

Just try it, see how it is. There's no point getting a nice guitar and adding tons of stuff to it when you've played it an hour. After the honeymoon period, where you just play it for ages and hoohah, see if there's anything that needs improving, and change that.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Its best to at least play a guitar before starting to change things. If it goes out of tune then locking tuners might be a good thing. But a bit of an expense because its easier to change strings. And one would think a close to 900 dollar guitar would have some decent pickups to begin with.
Quote by Tomaz24

Not really, mate. Decent non-locking tuners are just fine for guitars that have no trems (which this Ibanez doesn't, if I'm right?), Neither of my Les Pauls ever go out of tune through playing. Even on guitars with trems, you can get away with non-locking tuners if you do all the right things (as I've been finding out on my £5 Strat!). I say wait until you've had it a while before you start planning modifications.
I reckon the locking tuners will be a great upgrade with that
TP6 style tailpiece. As for the pickups, I would wait and see if they grow on you.
Most reviews are very positive for these "cheapie" artcores and their sound.