So, I was feeling really bored, so I thought I'd record some stuff.
I ended up writing a song with the intention of it being as cliché and generic as it could possibly be, from music to the production, all while remaining a quality example of the genre.

Weird eh?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=601208&songID=6699185

As usual, here's all the production info for the track.

Guitars are all Peavey 5150 mkII into a Framus 2x12 cab with 2 Celestion Vintage 30's.
Shure SM57 dynamic mic around where the cone meets the dust cap. Just an approximation because I did a fair bit of mic moving without looking at where it was, just to where it sounded good.
SM57 into a Yamaha UW500 USB interface.
Schecter Omen 7 guitar with stock pickups and stupidly old strings.

Amp settings were
(approximations, but pretty accurate I believe.)
Pre-gain: 7
Bass: 4.5
Mids: 4
Treble: 5
Post-gain: 1.7-2
Resonance: 2
Presence: 7.5
Red channel (Lead.)

Drums are all programmed.
XLN Addictive Audio in Nuendo 3 as the host.

My own drum and mix preset. All drum mixing done inside XLN.
Snare track solo'd then exported, re-imported on an extra mono audio track, compressed to buggery then mixed in (Parallel compression) for that smacky snare sound, leave a message in the topic if you want more details on this technique.

Bass is DI'd guitar pitch shifted down an octave. Straight in to the UW500.
Ran through Peavey Revalver MKIII. Basic 100 amp model, bass switch on, gain 7, bass 7, treble 9 or so.
Exported, ran through Wavearts Trackplug 5, heavy mid scoop, a boost at 5k, rolled off above that.

The vocals are just SM57 into UW500 (not that there's much in the way of vocals anyway, I couldn't be bothered to do any cos I was tired.)

As for what I'm looking for opinion wise..
I don't want to know whether it's a well written song, but I do want to know whether it's a well written PARODY.
Listen to any generic deathcore and have a listen to my track and let me know if I tick all the boxes.
Take note of production techniques aswell. Subdrops, double tracked vocals, etcetc.
The sound of the instruments aswell, if you were in a deathcore band (or are) would you be happy with this production? Anything you'd make me change if I were recording you?

Cheers! And if you have a soundclick account please give it a rating and leave comments on there too, thanks!
Even though it was generic i liked it. Everything sounds pretty freakin' clear and crisp too.
Yes, you ticked all the boxes with all the overused deathcore techniques.
Quote by alecoholic
Even though it was generic i liked it. Everything sounds pretty freakin' clear and crisp too.
Yes, you ticked all the boxes with all the overused deathcore techniques.

Thanks man, mission accomplished then I suppose haha!

Got anything you want me to crit?
I'm not much of an expert on deathcore; but I have to say that DID sound pretty generic. I suppose you achieved your goal there, as it is still a very well written and perfectly listenable song. It's not overtly comic like, say Dethklok, but the whole feeling of cliché did have me grinning. The riff at 1:00 in particular. Good work.

As for production, my only problems were the (admittedly minor) vocals being totally buried underneath everything; and a bit of clipping here and there. I can tell you're a big fan of mids, and I'm inclined to agree with you on their benefits, but given the overall sound of the song I feel you may have been a little over-zealous

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice on my track. I really appreciate that kind of detailed advice, as I'm a total beginner with EQing and all. I do use a mid setting of 5-6, I guess it's just down to my solid-state inferiority
good work as always. i can see something coming a long here thats for sure.

it was quite generic but the sound quality was awesome.

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.

Quote by DkassBTU
fly ass ******s wearin my hat

hahahahaha
Quote by Vermintide
I'm not much of an expert on deathcore; but I have to say that DID sound pretty generic. I suppose you achieved your goal there, as it is still a very well written and perfectly listenable song. It's not overtly comic like, say Dethklok, but the whole feeling of cliché did have me grinning. The riff at 1:00 in particular. Good work.

As for production, my only problems were the (admittedly minor) vocals being totally buried underneath everything; and a bit of clipping here and there. I can tell you're a big fan of mids, and I'm inclined to agree with you on their benefits, but given the overall sound of the song I feel you may have been a little over-zealous

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice on my track. I really appreciate that kind of detailed advice, as I'm a total beginner with EQing and all. I do use a mid setting of 5-6, I guess it's just down to my solid-state inferiority

Aye, I didn't really work on the vocals that much, just plugged the mic in, recorded them, compressed them to **** and eq'd them. Didn't really do any more to them than that. I'll mix 'em properly when I get around to recording vox. :P

And if your mids were at 5-6, then it's your micing that's affecting your clarity.
Around where the dust cap meets the paper, half an inch to an inch back from the grille cloth is a good spot for clarity and balance.
With that sort of mic position, you have complete control over the sound. If you want it scooped, then it'll be down to your amp rather than your micing.
But like I said, it's better to set your mids to a point where it's perfectly clear and crisp and then scoop out specific frequencies in post.

"It's not overtly comic like, say Dethklok, but the whole feeling of cliché did have me grinning."
Mission accomplished indeed.

Cheers for the crit!
thanks for the crit man, nice guitar sound, im having trouble getting a good tone from my dual recto with a 57, but ive got a vintage md421 on the way to play with. pretty brutal mix, everything sounded pretty sweet, though like most others said, some bits are predictable.. but thats what you were going for yeah? though i really enjoyed this regardless. those "chorus" bits were sick
Thanks for the crit.
I don't listen to deathcore but I've heard a bit and can say you've definitely achieved what you were trying to do.
Really good production, suits the genre well.
Nice work!
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
good job, def. sounds like a band i would listen to!
i know you were just messing around but for what it is, id hold onto everything and keep writing

funny thing is, i used to be in a band called there will be blood

hey also, could you rate my band?
we play grindcore/deathmetal too

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950063
well, sounds like if you took several deathcore songs and mixed them up, you got all the typical sounds of the genre

the quality of the recording is really amazing man oO i have no clue about how to improve it, what the hell, can it even get better? :p

btw awesome pinch at 01:00 ^^

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949971
Holy ****ing shit balls.

Thats a 10/10 from me. This could easily pass as a pro produced track. VERY reminiscent of Despised Icon et all of the deathcore scene. Not usually my kind of thing, i go as far as Whitechapel and Animosity, which this is also comparable to in places, but thats about it as far as my taste in deathcore.

Thanks for the awesoem crit you gave our track, much appreciated! This has to be the best programmed drums (short of Catch 33) that iv ever heard.

AWESOME JOB.
Quote by metalismetal
Thanks for the awesoem crit you gave our track, much appreciated! This has to be the best programmed drums (short of Catch 33) that iv ever heard.

Dude that's high praise indeed. Catch 33 is pretty much one of my favourite production jobs ever, so I feel a tad overwhelmed >.< haha.
Cheers!
you wanted to sound like deathcore: yes
you did sound like deathcore: yes
I think deathcore is a horrible genre? yes

I don't like deathcore at all, but have heard plenty and all the parts of your song seemed to represent/cover pretty much all the elements of deathcore, with the breakdowns, chugging, slow grooves, then the less heavy parts,like the clean vocal part (I assume) at 1:35 and the melody at the end. Nicely done, but please stop making that kinda music Stick to real death metal haha.
Quote by \m/Gaz
you wanted to sound like deathcore: yes
you did sound like deathcore: yes
I think deathcore is a horrible genre? yes

I don't like deathcore at all, but have heard plenty and all the parts of your song seemed to represent/cover pretty much all the elements of deathcore, with the breakdowns, chugging, slow grooves, then the less heavy parts,like the clean vocal part (I assume) at 1:35 and the melody at the end. Nicely done, but please stop making that kinda music Stick to real death metal haha.

Aha cheers I think?
And aye, I don't like much of it. All Shall Perish, JFAC's Doom £P (their first proper album's pretty tr00 death IMO, and also pretty sick) and a bit of Suicide Silence, and that's about as far is it goes.

I can't write real death metal to save my life, but I may have another crack at it soon.
Cheers!
Quote by \m/Gaz
well keep trying to write death metal, I'll even help you out if you like
want me to type up a lesson for you?

I know the scales n shit, it's just it always ends up going to the un-tr00 direction.
It's probably just me xD
that tone is pretty neat man! really clear on the chugging, i'd like to hear it on some faster more technical, alternate picking riffs though.
5150 FTW!

i'm not a fan of death core at all really, but it certainly sounded like a really good example of the genre! Your solo was pretty sweet man, it got kinda lost in the mix a wee bit on lower notes though

good job though!
Top lel.
dude this song is amazing

i actually think its one of the best deathcore songs ive heard in a long time