Hey all,

Just writing this thread coz my guitar playing has taken a turn for the worse lately...

I recently had to leave my band due to work commitments, I sold my gig/practice gear and my playing time has dropped off significantly...

I can't remember any songs and I'm sloppy as hell... As you can tell, I'm not happy with the situation.

I guess my question is this; I've always been a rythym player. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years - The band I was in played suffocation and the like, so I'm not a rubbish player.

I have next to no lead abilities - I can play some solos but I really want to be able to bust out those ridiculously fast, shredding solos that so many of our favourite deathe metal bands perform.

How do I get there? I can play fast and technical rythym parts, but as soon as I move up the neck slightly and try to shread, I fall flat. I can't figure out why...

Can anyone suggest anything besided play 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 faster and faster in one place...?

Anything at all would be really appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
although im not a shred player, what really helped me with my lead playing was mainly playing scales A LOT, and also slowing down solos in songs and then gradually speeding them up
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Does 'no lead abilities' mean you struggle with techniques like tapping and sweep picking? I'd say these would be good techniques to use for a death metal style, which probably won't need as much practise as all out shredding.

The only other thing I'd say is listen to more bands. Try stuff like Cannibal Corpse, Nile, Spawn of Possession, Origin and Death (if you're not already into them) and listen to the techniques they use. Some slow solos can be really effective if pulled off properly, and some simple techniques like trills or simple harmonies can add an edge to your playing.

Hope this helps.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942688

A wholly excellent sticky here, which may answer your questions (hopefully). As the article will highlight, it's not speed you're after, but economy of movement etc. Other than that, do what all the great blues players did: Steal Each Others Licks!

Just go and learn the licks from some of your favourite solos (even if only at half speed), and you'll find that your own phrasing improves. Technique is nothing without good phrasing.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Well, if you had flattened the 3rd you could have just jumped over said wall...

>.>

Anyways, why don't you keep sticking to rhytm? You can practise some techniques a little bit more, and be in a metal band while not shredding...
Eventually you would be able to do so, but in the meantime you can join a prog band or something and practise...
Quote by danastasi
Hey all,

Just writing this thread coz my guitar playing has taken a turn for the worse lately...

I recently had to leave my band due to work commitments, I sold my gig/practice gear and my playing time has dropped off significantly...

I can't remember any songs and I'm sloppy as hell... As you can tell, I'm not happy with the situation.

I guess my question is this; I've always been a rythym player. I've been playing seriously for about 2 years - The band I was in played suffocation and the like, so I'm not a rubbish player.

I have next to no lead abilities - I can play some solos but I really want to be able to bust out those ridiculously fast, shredding solos that so many of our favourite deathe metal bands perform.

How do I get there? I can play fast and technical rythym parts, but as soon as I move up the neck slightly and try to shread, I fall flat. I can't figure out why...

Can anyone suggest anything besided play 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 faster and faster in one place...?

Anything at all would be really appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Dan

Try learning & playing some songs / solos that you like.
shred is gaudy music
It takes time. I would get a solo transcription book by one of your favorite guitar players and take it one bar at a time and learn a solo slowly. If there is a passage that is too insane try to pick and solo that is more reasonable for you at a slow tempo.
"How to Become a Better Musician" - is my online course at www.MyOnlineMusicLessons.com. Phrasing and Rhythmic Development, Improv Techniques, Jazz Theory, Ear Training and more. I'm also available for Skype/Hangout lessons.
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know of any good links where I can find scales/exercises/patterns etc?

I'm hopefully going to get back into a band soon

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Just PLAY-its as easy as that. Oh, and have a goal of getting better at playing, otherwise you wont play as hard (lol). Ok I'm gonna show off like hell in a sec, but hopefully a real example will help-Ive recentley had my 1 year guitar playing anniversary, and whilst im not the best, Im not too shabby, I use the 3 fingers of my right to tap (not that fast tho), but when i tap with the 2nd finger alone its bout 150bpm quarter notes (slightly less), and I trem pick almost as fast as those della vega and other speed record guys (triplets at 220 bpm), only mine is more musical lol. Seriously its not hard to become a good shredder, thats why there's a ton of them. What I'm trying to say is, you're far from a lost cause (in fact I managed to get an injury and change the way I pick during the 1 year), just play everyday. Everyday you play you get better, everyday you dont you get worse.

Not to plug any product or anything, but I bought speed lives from the MAB shop (Its the DVD where he teaches you the No Boundaries song-yes the one you get when you type in shred into youtube), and even though most of the song is neckwank (as most solos are :[ ) but it's got a ton of useful techniques done at high speeds, so its a very useful song to practise.
Quote by STorpedo
and I trem pick almost as fast as those della vega and other speed record guys (triplets at 220 bpm)

There's a vid of Della Vega playing Flight of the bumblebee (which is all 16th notes, give or take) at 320 bpm. So you might have a bit further to go to be almost that fast. Still, it shows how fast it's possible to go if you have very good technique and work hard and smart.