The band director at my school recently asked me if I'd like to take up some Jazz guitar for a school Jazz band he's gonna start in the spring. I have a decent rig as it is, but it's not exactly the most Jazz-friendly setup, I don't think... Gibson SG Special with a Bugera 333XL. Yeah, not exactly any Jazz player's first choice.

Now, I've been trying to branch out into different styles for a while, and I think this is a great opportunity. Plus, I'm also finding myself wanting a little bit more variety in my guitar selection, I love my SG, but I'm desiring something a bit different.

I know nothing about what sounds good in a Jazz rig, so I turn it over to UG. Suggest me a (budget) Jazz guitar + amp.
Fender Stratocaster is a must!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
epiphone dot for guitar
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
For the guitar, I recommend a big hollowbody, like a Sheraton. For an amp... I dunno, some kind of Fender? A JC120 maybe? Something with nice, full cleans.

Also, string it with flatwounds.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 29, 2008,
your sg will e able to do Jazz, maybe adjust your clean settings and buy a overdrive and reverb? Sgs are underrated as for versatillity i think
I was thinking an Epi Sheraton, actually. I've heard good things about those. Thanks for the responses guys, keep 'em coming!
I saw a jazz band play a few weeks ago, the guy had some sort of a Gibson hollowbody I think, I can't remember and played through a Cube 30 or 60. Awesome tone, of course used the JC clean setting, really good player. They did some iimprov jamming and his tone and playing was spot on. I'm interested in the Cubes now after I saw him play.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by BeerChurch
The 333XL has a GREAT clean channel, so you're set there.

I'd look into the Ibanez Art series hollow bodies. Bought one for around $450. Very warm and smooth.
I do like my 333XL's clean channel a lot, but I'm not sure if it's smooth enough for Jazz? I haven't spent much time EQing it, I'll have to futz with it. Maybe I can get a good Jazz tone out of my current rig.

One thing's for sure, it's gonna be kinda funny seeing some pop-punk kid with a halfstack and a Gibson SG playing Jazz
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by whiteraven119
I do like my 333XL's clean channel a lot, but I'm not sure if it's smooth enough for Jazz? I haven't spent much time EQing it, I'll have to futz with it. Maybe I can get a good Jazz tone out of my current rig.

You can totally get a great jazz sound. Plug into the low-gain input and use a jazz style guitar...you're set!

EQ: Plenty of bass, tons of mids, easy on the highs.