Hi, I have a Gibson Les Paul 1960 and there is string buzz on the thick E string only at the 7th, 8th and 9th frets. How should I adjust the truss rod in this case, or the bridge even to stop this buzzing? Im recording and I need those frets.

P.S. I don't think I need a fret job, it's only a year old.
all i can say is do not try and adjust your truss rod yourself

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
you can put on a heavier gauge string.

or newstrings if those are old.

you can try lifting the bridge a bit, or you can measure the neck relief.

fret the first fret low E, at the same time,
fret the lowE last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held look at the middle frets 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there then you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there then you have too much.

so repost wt what you want to do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
K yeah I already know how to check relief and I measured it with a Light pick I have. The pick was just a little too big to fit and therefore I should be around the the right truss rod adjustment no? A light pick is about .5-.6 mm and I think I should have just over half of that relief right? MY bridge is just over 4mm high on the thick side and about 3 mm high on the thin side.

(I've heard that the bridge on a Les Paul should be able to go lower without causing buzzing.) i had an SG that has action so low that I culd stick a 1.5mm pick in the 12th fret and it wuld stay there without holding down any other frets, and there was no buzzing. Could the bridge possibly be too high? Could that cause buzzing in the middle in any way?
seems like the neck needs more bend.

you can turn the truss rod 1/4" counter clockwise.

then leave the guitar in tune. remeasure in an hour, see if there's improvement, but dont adjust any more today.

dont force the turn. 1/4" is a very small amount.

if you add a little more bend then you should be able to lower ur action a little at the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
seems like the neck needs more bend.

you can turn the truss rod 1/4" counter clockwise.

then leave the guitar in tune. remeasure in an hour, see if there's improvement, but dont adjust any more today.

dont force the turn. 1/4" is a very small amount.

if you add a little more bend then you should be able to lower ur action a little at the bridge.

****. Last night, I already tried that approach, loosening the truss rod but it didn't seem to help so I tightened it. But still not much of a difference. So isn't the less arch the better as long as there's no buzzing? (except these 2 middle frets on the 6th string). Unless u say loosening the truss rod plus lowering the bridge should help?
yeah the adjustment sometimes takes hours to settle in.

so turning back and forth, is not only anti productive but also potentially dangerous for the neck.

the turn you want should be a small counter clockwise turn.

then, with a little more bend you should be able to lower the bridge a little more without any buzz.

you can either do that, or try raising the action to stop the buzz now transmitting thru the amp.

or you can swap the strings to a thicker gauge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62