Page 1 of 2
Can, Faust, Amon Duul II, Kraftwerk, Nue!, Tangerine Dream, and others you can think of

I'm not a big Neu! or Tangerine Dream fan, but I just put them for the sake of them being krautrock

some of my favorite albums:

Die Mensch Maschine - Kraftwerk

Ege Bamyasi - Can

Faust So Far - Faust

Those are probobly the most accesable records from this genre I can think of
friggin' love krautrock, cuz its the music of mah people

(LULZ)

But seriously love Can, Amon Duul II, Kraftwerk, Faust (and all his fine collaborations, especially the ones with Dalek and Nurse With Wound), etc..
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Neu! were one of the best!
Do agree with you on Tangerine Dream though, never do much for me either. And I think Kraftwerk are ridiculously overrated - still decent but not amazing.

Krautrock was fantastic, but German music in the 70s was top notch all round.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I've listened to some Can and liked what I heard.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Listening to Faust IV at the moment... the song "Krautrock" was amazing, "The Sad Skinhead" was pretty good too. "Jennifer"'s sounding great so far. I also downloaded "The Ultimate Krautrock Collection". Will post back when I've listened to it.

Also, I agree that Kraftwerk are pretty overrated, but they're still very good and from what I've heard, a very influential band.
'now that's music,' was what i said when i heard faust IV...i still can't get into their s/t. been listening to amon duul II lately, i like it.
I have heard Can a few times and Kraftwerk plenty of times. I hear alot of good things about krautrock, so I'[m going to try to listen to it more.
I love Kraftwerk.

Kraftwerk

Like any who explore modern or postmodern ideas, the music implies a narrative "from below" by not being overtly serious, yet introduces with sleight of hand the interconnections within its topics to create context, which it then probes with music that evolves in layers like classical over the pulsing beat of techno and rock, fusing the ancient and the modern into one narrative that emerges instead of being explicitly stated in these simple -- yet on second look, complex -- works.

Kraftwerk reviews and mp3 samples

Influenced a ton of metal bands, too, like Burzum and Celtic Frost. You don't get more metal than that without, ah, being metal.
what are the 3 albums that i NEEEEEED to have?

i've only got Future Days by CAN and Computer World by Kraftwerk. i don't listen to them often, but i enjoy them when i do. where to go next?
faust 'so far' and 'IV' are really good. same with amon duul II's 'phallus dei' and 'yeti,' maybe check out the first of each two.
Quote by uhh_me?
what are the 3 albums that i NEEEEEED to have?

Id say definetly get Ege Bamyasi by Can and Tago Mago and Monster Movie if you like it, and then if you like Kraftwerk then either Die Mensche Maschine(The Man Machine..) or Trans-Europe Express and Faust IV or Faust So Far or any of their other first few albums
why did no one tell me to get Amon Duul II's Yeti.

it is just phenomenal. wow.

must find more.
Quote by somewhat_here
wot the hell?!! that's exactly what i recommended.

Quote by somewhat_here
faust 'so far' and 'IV' are really good. same with amon duul II's 'phallus dei' and 'yeti,' maybe check out the first of each two.

no, you told me the first of each.
that left out Yeti.

and Tago Mago is a hell of a driving album. the drums on Halleluhwah do crazy things in such a confined space.
Yay Krautroken!

Can - Ege Bamyasi, and Delay are the ones people wanna get for the first ones - truly amazing

My mate/collaborator met Holger in Japan a while back
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by uhh_me?
no, you told me the first of each.
that left out Yeti.

Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
just got the first Can album. on the first listen, i am really liking it.

how come all of these bands were doing something so different and ahead of their time?
Kraftwerk are boring.

My favourite Krautrock albums:
1. Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel, Amboss is the greatest guitar track of all time.
2. Faust - Faust IV
3. Amon Duul II - Yeti
4. Can - Monster Movie
5. Cluster - '71

Anyone interested in Krautrock should read Krautrocksampler by Julian Cope, message me for a pdf of it, as it's long out of print and copies sell for hundreds on eBay.
i traded in 4 cd's for Amon Duul II - Wolf City LP. not a bad record, it has it's moments, but nothing mindblowing like Phallus Dei. oh well, the cd's were kinda crap anyway.

this mother****er gets better each listen.
Last edited by somewhat_here at Feb 15, 2009,
i tried countless times to even find at least one Tangerine Dream album in record stores, and they never have anything. ive been trying to get "Zeit" so hopefully i can find a new record store with some krautrock.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
watching Kraftwerk open for Radiohead (via webstream) inspired me to pick up another album by them. i went out to the record store today and they just happened to have The Man-Machine.

only a few track in, but it is sounding pretty great.
Quote by uhh_me?
just got the first Can album. on the first listen, i am really liking it.

how come all of these bands were doing something so different and ahead of their time?

Because they weren't caught up in the Pink Floyd / Led Zeppelin pop-fest garbage that was going on at the time
sounds Cool!! i hope he bring his improv music fest thingy back to my town again so i can convince my impaired friends to go.
Faust - C’est Com...Com...Complique
how do you say "****ing righteous" in French, verbs and all. or German, whatever.
is it that good? i've read a couple positive things, but hesitated on getting it because some of the other things that i have by Faust didn't excite me as much as i had hoped.
it's a good'n, i guess you can get on it rather than get it, just in case.

have lately been digging Ash Ra Tempel - New Age of Earth. really chill; must be the drone-kick i'm currently on.
Has anybody here heard of the Eno/Cluster/Neu! collaboration in 1976?

Tracks & Traces is the name of the album and it's some of the best krautrock that i've heard yet. It's much more ambient than motorik. The beginning of the first track reminds me of that train sound on "Station to Station"...
Faust are playing in my city. my tiny, little, unpronounceable, no-one-has-ever-heard-of-me city.
i forgot to yell about how amazing Faust was. if i hadn't seen Boredoms earlier in the year, that would have been the best show of the year.

also, Jean-Herve is a really nice, sort of wacky, guy.

also also, grabbed two limited edition of 150 each cd-rs that they were selling. one was a studio session, the other was a live show. good stuff.
Page 1 of 2