Alright guys,

I currently have a Crate GT65. It belts it out but I don't play in a band. I'm a bit bored of it and I'm not sure if it does my guitar justice (Gibson LP Studio). I'm thinking of getting a Marshall MG30DFX.

Does anyone think this is a good move?

I don't know a huge amount about amps but I'm thinking in terms of tone and overall sound it may well be better.

Thanks for any advice.
if you used the search bar, you would know

what's your budget
types of music you play
do you gig/play in a band
what country do you live in?
search bar?

I'm big into Metallica and GUns and Roses. I'm an average guitarist and I don't gig. Just self taught to a half decent standard.

I'm in the UK and looking to spend £100-£150.
Anything (almost) but an MG. A Vox Valvetronix amp would be muuuch better, or a Roland Cube.
umm no dont buy an mg, i have the marshall 30dfx mg series one ... and distortion totally blows ****. Cleans are alright though.
okay, do they give u the digitalness that the marshall would give u? I've never tried those before, i'm a noob when it comes to amps.

Would i be rgith in thinking that i could do a lot better than the crate if im not gigging?
i say keep the amp you have and buy a multi effects unit from digitech or line 6 or something, a line 6 POD would probably work for u then u can get a wide variety of tones and still keep your crate. if you want the marshall tone u just turn on the marshall emulator on the POD and bam your good... a much better choice than getting a marshall mg i would say.
ah right, what if u added a distortion pedal, is it alright?

I guess a metallica ish sound would be out of the question w/o one
everyone will advise against the marshall mg's

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
lol, they sound pretty bad then.

So aside from the Roland Cube suggested earlier, as a single versatile amp taht I don't have to beef up with other stuff, what do u reckon is good for the sort of tones I am after between £100-£150?
metalfan do u know anything? a line6 pod is a multi effects pedel, which means it has different effects built in
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Fat Strat
Fender American Telecaster
Taylor 714ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 300
Macbook Pro
you can get digitech multi effects pedals for like starting around $100
the PODS range since there are different kinds but here are links to the 2 inexpensive ones.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=151065

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pod-2.0-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=150448
Wtf is wrong with MG's? There great imo, they cane the ass off vox's and rolands.
jamis8891 I know nothing and i'll admit it. I'm just interested in playing and having fun. Know sod all about technical stuff so that's why I'm asking :S
Maybe try a cheap valve amp. Seeing as your not giigging a 5 watter like an epi valve jr. or harley benton ga5 would be ok.
metal fan... i own a crate glx65 which is very similar to your amp and for the amount of money you're talkin' about i would suggest to get a POD or Multi-effects pedal cause then you can plug it into your amp or you can plug headphones into the pod or m/e unit thereby giving you a lot of options and not having to worry about selling your amp.
Quote by Anthony1991
Wtf is wrong with MG's? There great imo, they cane the ass off vox's and rolands.

Fair enough, that's your opionion.

Mine is the clean channel on them is nothing special and the flanger on the DFX models is ok, but the distortion sound is crap and at high volumes listening to them is like having nails shot into my ears.

I find Vox's valvetronix amps to be far superior but I have never tried a cube so I can't comment on them. I know they are highly spoken of on here and on HC.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Anthony1991

..Obviously the owner of an MG, possible tone deaf too?
look if ur not willing to buy a multi fx pedal then just fine but ur better off buying the fx pedal or just saving ur money for something better
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
sell the crate, buy a roland cube 30, it's 30 watts, about $250 (dunno what that is in £, i think around £120) awsome amp models (it can do metal really well) and pretty decent FX (i own the micro cube, similar but has less and the speaker is a little shirll because its so small)
I just realised I offered no help in my post earlier lol so here is some advice from me.

An MG might sound good by itself but if you play it in a shop next to a Vox you will realise how unsatisfactory they are. Don't be sucked in by the brand name. The Vox AD15VT is somewhere in between £100 and £150 i think so deffinately check it out, you wont be sorry.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
IF you ever plan on jamming with a bud/drummer, you would want the cube 30. If it's just bedroom practice, the microcube would be enough. Keep in mind, the microcube will be loud enough to piss off parents/spouses etc. 5 watts gets louder than a lot of people think. Both the MicroCube and the Cube 30 have a lot of effects built in and can do nearly any normal guitar tone very well.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
i say keep the amp you have and buy a multi effects unit from digitech or line 6 or something, a line 6 POD would probably work for u then u can get a wide variety of tones and still keep your crate. if you want the marshall tone u just turn on the marshall emulator on the POD and bam your good... a much better choice than getting a marshall mg i would say.

If I were you I wouldn't go the multi-effect route. Individual pedals will always kick the ass of digital multi-fx units. Find an amp that does your tone well by itself, don't settle for a digital model. If I were you I'd go with the advice of the guy who recommended the Valve Jr. Then get yourself an overdrive.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!