Ok, so I know with guitars, you don't necessarily need an amp to start of and get some good learning down, and then I could get an amp with my skills later... But what about bass... What does a bass without an amp sound like, for just learning, and playing with tracks in the background? Should I get an amp later? The reason is because a bass amp, is well, a little out of my budget. I was thinking of getting a squier p bass.
Why not just get the starter pack that comes with everything you need to...start?
much quieter than guitar unplugged, but louder if slapping

Quote by goest
Why not just get the starter pack that comes with everything you need to...start?

because he doesn't want to waste money on a sh1tty practise amp, but rather get a decent amp later on, am i right OP?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by goest

Because a standard squier p bass is about £120, starter kit is £200, may not sound much to you, but to me its a lot of money.
I find it way to hard to hear bass without an amp.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by ealtdharkon
P bass? EWWW...

I'd get a Yamaha BB414, it can do everything the P bass does, and more.
(I've played both of them.)

But that is very much besides the point - you don't need an amp, no.
It'll be kinda quiet, but you can still learn to play just fine.

Good luck!

Thanks, it doesn't matter about being quiet though, because most of the time i'm playing for me, anyones, a few months down the line I'd just get a decent amp.
you can always get an adapter to plug into your computer and play through your computer speakers
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
you can always get an adapter to plug into your computer and play through your computer speakers

Two words:
Get Toneport

hmm.. maybe thats three? :P

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by NKF176
Because a standard squier p bass is about £120, starter kit is £200, may not sound much to you, but to me its a lot of money.

Oh, I had no idea of your budget...well then, I apologize if I came off as a dick.

It'll sound kinda clacky and metallic. Too me, I can work with it and can hear myself most of the time.

You could get a stethoscope and tape it to the upper horn. The sound will reverberate through the bass and you can listen to yourself play acoustically.
Quote by NKF176

Would you be willing to pay £70 for a good bass amp than a crappy starter one?

Quote by JMcG92
Would you be willing to pay £70 for a good bass amp than a crappy starter one?

great option. do this.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I think you'll have less drive to learn if you can't hear what you're playing properly, you may develop bad habits also. I started off running my bass through a guitar amp but using headphones and this didn't really make me very enthusiastic, once I had a proper amp though, I fully made the switch from guitar to bass.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.