I've recently purchased a new guitar (Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany) and am wondering about the details of taking it into a shop to have it set up.

How do I know if this is necessary? What is usually done when setting up a guitar? Do most new guitars need this?
If the action is too low, there will be fret buzz. If it's too high, it'll be difficult to play.

If the intonation is off, notes lower down the neck might be in tune, but further up the neck is out.

If the neck is too bow-shaped or bent back (which would cause fret buzz), the neck relief needs to be adjusted.
It all depends on how you want your guitar to feel. How is the action on it? Does the intonation need fixing? Are any frets buzzing? Set-up jobs usually involve tweaking intonation and action, and possibly an adjustment of the truss rod if it is required. I think that people should set up their own guitars because you can fine tune anything to YOUR exact specifications, instead of paying a guy in a shop to do it. Most of these things are fairly easy to fix on your own.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
New guitars should really be properly setup. People usually get set-ups if they've changed something (eg different gauge of strings) which has caused a problem.

If you don't know what you're doing, just take it in. I did the same thing today, I was going to adjust the intonation, bridge and action of my strat myself (it needed it because I've changed to thicker strings) - but the guy who's doing my setup knew straight away that the truss rod needed to be adjusted. I'd have never bothered with that, and the results would not have been good for me strat!
Quote by COBHC728
It all depends on how you want your guitar to feel. How is the action on it? Does the intonation need fixing? Are any frets buzzing? Set-up jobs usually involve tweaking intonation and action, and possibly an adjustment of the truss rod if it is required. I think that people should set up their own guitars because you can fine tune anything to YOUR exact specifications, instead of paying a guy in a shop to do it. Most of these things are fairly easy to fix on your own.

But playing with the truss rod with a neck-thru guitar is dangerous for people that have never done it.
ಠ_ಠ
There's buzzing mostly on the E and A strings.

It seems intonation is objective and action subject within the range between too low/buzzing and too high/hard to play. I don't know what I like in this range, but notice that on my other guitar, an Ibanez, which I set up years ago, the action is higher and tapping and sweep picking is therefore easier as I have less problems with other notes ringing out.

I'll look into what it takes to set up a higher action and decide whether to do it myself or not. How much should I expect to pay if I did take it to a shop?