music should be censored in public
32 7%
sing what you want
372 87%
I can't think for myself
8 2%
Voters: 429.
Page 1 of 5
Is it really necessary for music to offend people?

Here we go, to pick an example. Tupac is undeniably a great artist, but would it really take away from his music if we took the cursing out?

******s!, isn't just the blacks
also a gang of mutha-****ers dressed in blue slacks
They say ******s hang in packs and their attitude is ****ty
Tell me, who's the biggest gang of ******s in the city
They say ******s like to do ******s,
Throw me in the cuffs with just two ******s
A street walkin' ****** and a beat walkin' ****** with a badge
I had to shoot yah and the pass for the blast take his cash
And bash his head in dump him at the dead in
And that's just his luck
Cause a ****** like me
don't really give a ****

People get offended if you leave it in, noone gets offended if you take it out. But it obviously it has a purpose, and it plays a part in the poetry, the language and the effect.

My music has some swearing in, but it's just there for a bit of emphasis, and to fill in those 2 extra syllables. I would have no problem removing it, as I don't think it is necessary, and I can understand if it offends people.

What do you think about censorship of music?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I don't see the point in gratuitous.
Sometimes it gets emotions across or meaning, but a fair bit of the time it's just ridiculous and there cos it can be.
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Music should not be censored by any governing body.

If any censorship should occur, it should be self-censorship by the artists, considering how much the artist would rather pick their battles in the 'who do i want to offend' and 'do i really care' categories.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Is it really necessary for music to offend people?

Here we go, to pick an example. Tupac is undeniably a great artist, but would it really take away from his music if we took the cursing out?

People get offended if you leave it in, noone gets offended if you take it out. But it obviously it has a purpose, and it plays a part in the poetry, the language and the effect.

My music has some swearing in, but it's just there for a bit of emphasis, and to fill in those 2 extra syllables. I would have no problem removing it, as I don't think it is necessary, and I can understand if it offends people.

What do you think about censorship of music?

I think you're a f u cking idiot.

we should also replace tupac's voice, with carlton's from fresh prince; then everyone would be happy.
Nah. It's the artist's interpretation of an idea that is put into words and notes. If you put limitations on what is okay and what is not, then the freedom of expression is very limited.

Plus, Chronic 2001 wouldn't be the same without the word "bitchnigga" appearing every two seconds.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by clancy256
no censorship

/thread

I think there's a bit of a difference between swearing in music and pro-Aryan etc. comments. If it's going to cause problems or seriously offend then it probably wouldn't get published, but there's a line to be drawn somewhere.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
ur retarded..curse words are part of the english language...everyone has the freedom to use or not use them...
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Every last word is part of the song and it's true meaning. Censorship only ruins that, imo. Takes away from the overall effect.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by tona_107
I think you're a f u cking idiot.

we should also replace tupac's voice, with carlton's from fresh prince; then everyone would be happy.

At least give me a reason, sweetcheeks.

Quote by Bair
ur retarded..curse words are part of the english language...everyone has the freedom to use or not use them...

I could get a note from my doctor saying I'm not retarded. I didn't mention which side of the argument I was on when I made this thread.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by roythereaper
I think there's a bit of a difference between swearing in music and pro-Aryan etc. comments. If it's going to cause problems or seriously offend then it probably wouldn't get published, but there's a line to be drawn somewhere.

art should never be censored.
go live in china or something you commie.
down wit da fcc
if i can cause someones death because of mine, i've done my job to keep the population under control.
I wrote a thesis paper on this in 8th grade and got a 100% on it, and most deffinitely we should not censor or ban words from music, as distasteful and insulting as they may be.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Yes Music censorship is bad. That would be a wrong doing... cough cough Tipper Gore.... ( I heard that one in a GNR song)

but seriously... If it offends you just get over it and don't listen to it. Everyone has heard that a million times but it is the truth. People have their views and you have yours. Whether you're a blunt racist or a Nazi you still should have the freedom of speech.
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
let people think for themselves, if they don't like it then they don't listen to it, simple as. If they want to then they can, though it shouldn't be forced on people, its all about free-will!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
It's just words. Being offended by swearing is songs is stupid. And in the example given, yes, it would take away from his music.

Cause a ****** like me
don't really give a ****

Is much better than.. say

Cause a black male like me
don't really give a darn.

See what I mean, it doesnt work...
Quote by clancy256
no censorship

/thread

this. I never got how bands like Alice Cooper and Twisted sister were even able to to be sued for the content of their songs. Free speech up in this muthafucka, muthafucka.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
On the radio issue.. yes they should censor dirty language because you do not know what you're getting when you turn on the radio... I really dont care if I hear a **** on the radio but its just parents want to control what their kid listens to and when they are in the car listening to the radio.. you cant do that. But with records and cd you can!
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
I voted that I can't think for myself.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by tona_107
go live in china or something you f u cking commie.

This might be a bad time to point out the owner of UG is Russian?
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by Minkaro
No. If you're pathetic enough to be offended by a simple swearword, I've got no time for you.

Run till ya bitchniggas find da mothafucken answer.
Time fucken out fo our bitchass poor Cassandra.
Shes taken ecstasy n fairly fucken safe inside the fire.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by tona_107
go live in china or something you commie.

You're a twat, enjoy your report.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by roythereaper

no there shouldnt

if you don't like it or find it offensive dont listen to it

i cant stand john denver, i want to kill myself when he sings...so i dont listen to him

easy enough?

edit: +1 to chronic 2001
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Quote by roythereaper
This might be a bad time to point out the owner of UG is Russian?

This might be a bad time to point out that Russia is a semi-presidential republic, and hasn't been communist in years.
Quote by dgme92
Every last word is part of the song and it's true meaning. Censorship only ruins that, imo. Takes away from the overall effect.

Thank you, pretty much what I was thinking, but for some reason I'm not thinking clearly today...probably because it's ****ing hot where I am, so I was having trouble finding the words to get that across. In short, +1.
The thing with pro-aryan music is that it isn't just always words we're discussing here. Think of it as free spech vs. shouting fire in a movie theater. Upto this point, it shouldn't be censored either.
I personally don't put swearing in my lyrics, because whenever I do it, it always sounds gratuitous, but I have no problem with swearing in music.
Quote by clancy256
no censorship

/thread

Yeah, that /thread is right.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Given that a song about blowing your load on your bitch's back is one of the most popular mainstream tracks of our time, I'd say you're wrong.
I find it intrusive when swearing is censored in music; but, then again, I think swearing in music doesn't often work; it can add power to a phrase, but if used sparingly. If used constantly, it makes the singer sound like a retard. Robb Flynn fromMachine Head sometimes falls into that trap.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by clancy256
no there shouldnt

if you don't like it or find it offensive dont listen to it

i cant stand john denver, i want to kill myself when he sings...so i dont listen to him

easy enough?

Not really.

Anyway, the Race Relations Act 1976 (In the UK) basically means I've won this argument by default: If it'll cause racial tension it can't legally be published. Q.E.D.

EDIT:
Quote by tona_107
This might be a bad time to point out that Russia is a semi-presidential republic, and hasn't been communist in years.

And China with its massive work force and questionable human rights is strictly communist?
Call me Callum

Last edited by roythereaper at Aug 29, 2008,
Maybe its supposed to be offensive sometimes. Like the song, "F*** the Police." That title has more impact than, "I believe local law enforcement officials are contributing to racial oppression in my neighborhood."
I don't understand why curse words offend people. Why is fuck offensive, and copulate is not? Clearly my opinion is no censorship.

Note: I understand why words like fag, nigger, and spic are offensive though. I would not put them in my music, but do not think they should be censored.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by roythereaper
Not really.

Anyway, the Race Relations Act 1976 (In the UK) basically means I've won this argument by default: If it'll cause racial tension it can't legally be published. Q.E.D.

well its published anyways obvioulsy

so no you havnt won the argument
~ Purchase your tickets; I'm kicking your crosses down ~
Page 1 of 5