I am programming drums for some metal tracks and I need fills for pauses between sections. Do you guys normally program these fills or do you use ready made midi? I am not a drummer and have no idea how to program them, are fills generic? Can I just copy and paste from other songs?

I was thinking of buying the Groove Monkee midi for metal just for the fills.
Quote by ixelion
Do you guys normally program these fills or do you use ready made midi?

Program them myself, it will usually fit the song better. That way you can also use a fairly standard fill to start and then elaborate on that as the song progresses. It's a simple way of adding interest and making sure that the parts don't sound too programmed.

Quote by ixelion
I am not a drummer and have no idea how to program them, are fills generic?

Many are, some are not. Listen to your favorite albums, tom rolls tend to be similar but drummers sometimes switch things up. It's a bit of a pain in the ass at first but after you've listened to a bunch of albums and really listened to the drums you'll have a decent grasp of what people play (and, hopefully, what can be played).

Quote by ixelion
Can I just copy and paste from other songs?

You can but be ware of tempo differences, some things will sound like complete crap when you change the tempo.
I use mostly pre-made fills and then just sample them. Programming fills, and drums in general, is incredibly hard if you want to get all the dynamics etc. to sound real. I suggest investing into program such as EzDrummer that comes with plenty of pre-made fills and drum loops, which are also easy to edit if you wish.