Page 1 of 3
So, to start with, I'm an agnostic, but I'm firmly against any christian god. One of the main reasons is that the christian god supposedly created ten commandments for us to live by, and then proceeded to break almost all of them himself. According to the bible, without accounting for the flood or anything else for which exact numbers can't be given, God has killed 2,038,334 people, compared to only 10 for Satan. So, my question is, how can christians find any meaning in the commandments and cite them as moral standards when their own god doesn't seem to follow them?

(This isn't an anti-christian rant, my best friends are almost all catholics, I'm just curious)
Anyone who takes the bible word-for-word and to be literal is a retard. This includes bible worshipers and opposing critics.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
My only contribution to this thread is that by most accepted translations, it's "Thou Shall Not MURDER"
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
How did you come up with that number?

google it, there's plenty of sources out there that have counted it. i'll post the links if you want.
the ten commandments are a moral code for us to live by, not necessarily God. not to mention God never killed without reason. He killed several nations that were not righteous in any sense, and that was only after He warned them several times to repent. they had their chance, and they blew it.

that might not make sense to you, but that is what i believe.
Does the phrase "Do as I say and not as I do" mean anything to you?

Especially if you tack "Or you're going to suffer in hell for eternity" on the end.
Quote by darkstar2466
Anyone who takes the bible word-for-word and to be literal is a retard. This includes bible worshipers and opposing critics.

That's affirmative soldier. Alpha bravo tango. 4-10. Over.
Dude, have you not heard of the omnipotence paradox either? If something is omnipotent, then it could create something that is unable to be destroyed, even by itself...
Therefore the being isn't omnipotent, this is simple proof that even if some entity such as god exists, it isn't omnipotent and that Christians are wrong.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
wow. this is probably one of the most anti-christian threads ever. I'll PM you sometime with the answers. I' busy right now
Guitars are fun
Quote by freedoms_stain
Does the phrase "Do as I say and not as I do" mean anything to you?

Especially if you tack "Or you're going to suffer in hell for eternity" on the end.

Pretty much.

There's an only religion thread, you know.
Quote by irishstang_87
(This isn't an anti-christian rant, my best friends are almost all catholics, I'm just curious)

I call bull**** considering you're making a claim that the "christian god" gave a Jew the Ten Commandments way before the start of Christianity.

But, no, you're wicked cool firmly being against something you know nothing about.

Moron.
Quote by irishstang_87
So, to start with, I'm an agnostic, but I'm firmly against any christian god. One of the main reasons is that the christian god supposedly created ten commandments for us to live by, and then proceeded to break almost all of them himself. According to the bible, without accounting for the flood or anything else for which exact numbers can't be given, God has killed 2,038,334 people, compared to only 10 for Satan. So, my question is, how can christians find any meaning in the commandments and cite them as moral standards when their own god doesn't seem to follow them?

tbh whether you believe in god or not the ten commandments represent a good moral code

however all i would say to you is, where does morality come from?

the only source of human morality is religion, in terms of where our moral standards came from, i personally do not agree with religious methods etc but the standards set in Christianity reflect my views of how humanity should act, and how law should be conceived

(when i say Christianity i mean the real kind not the bullsh*t kind Americans and their politicians continually use ; lik eGod bless America and all that ****e, what a load of crap)
Quote by Spamwise
Pretty much.

There's an only religion thread, you know.

This is kinda in response to the moral absolutes thread

Yeah, true, religion does set our morals for us, and christianity had the right idea. That's a lot of the reason i'm not a complete atheist.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Aug 29, 2008,
I'm not gonna argue cause I'll get banned, But I could go really deep here but don't want to.

how did he break EVERY commandment

also he's GOD get that through your skull he can do what he wants

second the 10 commandments were not instated until AFTER the flood.

there was also reason to kill the people on earth if you read the bible, it was to kill the nephlum (fallen angel human mix) if it had gotten out of control it would have been VERY bad
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by irishstang_87

Does "Thou Shalt Not Kill" have any meaning?

In the pit? No.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Quote by cruiser221
talk about a hypocrite... who is this "god" person anyway?

this guy is of epic legend.
hmmm.... i have no idea what to put here...
Quote by darkstar2466

This man speaks words of wisdom.

Not all of the bible is fact, ie: “any man who covers his head while praying dishonours himself” or something along those lines.
God can kill all he wants, because in the end, he has the ability to bring back the dead, which he had promised to do. Satan, on the other hand, doesn't want to kill people, he wants to turn them against god. So really, how many people will be dead on account of god? And how many will be dead on account of Satan?
Quote by irishstang_87

the flood occured before the ten commandments were established
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm not gonna argue cause I'll get banned, But I could go really deep here but don't want to.

how did he break EVERY commandment

also he's GOD get that through your skull he can do what he wants

second the 10 commandments were not instated until AFTER the flood.

there was also reason to kill the people on earth if you read the bible, it was to kill the nephlum (fallen angel human mix) if it had gotten out of control it would have been VERY bad

If god willingly does what he condemns people to hell for, then he is truly evil.
The hardcore Christians who take it word for word must have a hard time defending the bible because it has so much stuff thats contradicting and ridiculous. Normal Christians who don't take it word for word should have a hard time too because they have to deal with how much if any of the bible should be accepted since they admit parts are rediculous.
Quote by irishstang_87
...... I'm firmly against any christian god.......
......(This isn't an anti-christian rant, my best friends are almost all catholics, I'm just curious)......

Hmmm.....

MC name = Bearrorism
and I agree not the whole bible is literall you shouldn't LITERALLY CUT OFF YOUR ARM IF I CAUSES YOU TO SIN
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Gargantuan
Hmmm.....

Personal opinion, i respect what you believe, and i'm not gonna try to convert someone to what I believe.
Thou shalt not steal if there is direct victim.
Thou shalt not worship pop idols or follow lost prophets.
Thou shalt not take the names of Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Johnny Hartman, Desmond Decker, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret in vain.
Thou shalt not think that any male over the age of 30 that plays with a child that is not their own is a peadophile… Some people are just nice.
Thou shalt not read NME.
Thou shalt not stop liking a band just because they’ve become popular.
Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry.
Thou shalt not judge a book by it’s cover.
Thou shalt not judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover.
Thou shalt not buy Coca-Cola products.
Thou shalt not buy Nestle products.
Thou shalt not go into the woods with your boyfriend’s best friend, take drugs and cheat on him.
Thou shalt not fall in love so easily.
Thou shalt not use poetry, art or music to get into girls’ pants.
Use it to get into their heads.
Thou shalt not watch Hollyokes.
Thou shalt not attend an open mic and leave before it’s done just because you’ve finished your ****ty little poem or song you self-righteous prick.
Thou shalt not return to the same club or bar week in, week out just ’cause you once saw a girl there that you fancied but you’re never gonna ****ing talk to.
Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.
The Beatles… Were just a band.
Led Zepplin… Just a band.
The Beach Boys… Just a band.
The Sex Pistols… Just a band.
The Clash… Just a band.
Crass… Just a band.
Minor Threat… Just a band.
The Cure… Just a band.
The Smiths… Just a band.
Nirvana… Just a band.
The Pixies… Just a band.
Oasis… Just a band.
Radiohead… Just a band.
Bloc Party… Just a band.
The Arctic Monkeys… Just a band.
The Next Big Thing.. JUST A BAND.

Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-english speaking countries as to those that occur in english speaking countries.
Thou shalt remember that guns, bitches and bling were never part of the four elements and never will be.
Thou shalt not make repetitive generic music,
thou shalt not make repetitive generic music,
thou shalt not make repetitive generic music.

Thou shalt not pimp my ride.
Thou shalt not scream if you wanna go faster.
Thou shalt not move to the sound of the wickedness.
Thou shalt not make some noise for Detroit.
When I say “Hey” thou shalt not say “Ho”.
When I say “Hip” thou shalt not say “Hop”.
When I say, he say, she say, we say, make some noise… kill me.
Thou shalt not quote me happy.
Thou shalt not shake it like a polaroid picture.
Thou shalt not wish you girlfriend was a freak like me.
Thou shalt spell the word “Pheonix” P-H-E-O-N-I-X not P-H-O-E-N-I-X, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you.
Thou shalt not express your shock at the fact that Sharon got off with Bradley at the club last night by saying “Is it”.

Thou shalt think for yourselves.

And thou shalt always… Thou shalt always kill!
Quote by Spamwise
If god willingly does what he condemns people to hell for, then he is truly evil.

there was good reason for one he was not killing humans he was killing fallen angles/demons, None of you will get that because none of seem to read your bible.

there was NO 10 commandments yet it was a free for all basically.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by irishstang_87
Personal opinion, i respect what you believe, and i'm not gonna try to convert someone to what I believe.

I cannot really say that I believe in anything, I just found that to be a little weird..

MC name = Bearrorism
I agree wizards
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by fortysix&2
Dude, have you not heard of the omnipotence paradox either? If something is omnipotent, then it could create something that is unable to be destroyed, even by itself...

I could staple bacon to myself and go streaking through Los Angeles. Doesn't mean I would.
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by filthandfury
Thou shalt not take the names of Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Johnny Hartman, Desmond Decker, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret in vain.
Thou shalt not think that any male over the age of 30 that plays with a child that is not their own is a peadophile… Some people are just nice.
Thou shalt not read NME.
Thou shalt not go into the woods with your boyfriend’s best friend, take drugs and cheat on him.
Thou shalt not attend an open mic and leave before it’s done just because you’ve finished your ****ty little poem or song you self-righteous prick.
Thou shalt not return to the same club or bar week in, week out just ’cause you once saw a girl there that you fancied but you’re never gonna ****ing talk to.
Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.
The Clash… Just a band.
Crass… Just a band.
The Cure… Just a band.
The Smiths… Just a band.
Nirvana… Just a band.
The Pixies… Just a band.
Oasis… Just a band.
Radiohead… Just a band.
Bloc Party… Just a band.

Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-english speaking countries as to those that occur in english speaking countries.
Thou shalt remember that guns, bitches and bling were never part of the four elements and never will be.

Thou shalt spell the word “Pheonix” P-H-E-O-N-I-X not P-H-O-E-N-I-X, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you.
Thou shalt not express your shock at the fact that Sharon got off with Bradley at the club last night by saying “Is it”.

I was thinking about this song when I clicked on the thread and was disappointed when I found out it wasn't about it.
Quote by Bostonrocks
there was good reason for one he was not killing humans he was killing fallen angles/demons, None of you will get that because none of seem to read your bible.

there was NO 10 commandments yet it was a free for all basically.

Um, I used to be a christian too. Ever hear John 1:1?

"In the beginning was the word, and the word was with god, and the word was god"

I'm pretty sure (according to the bible) the ten commandments always existed.
Quote by filthandfury
Thou shalt not read NME.
The Clash… Just a band.
Crass… Just a band.
The Cure… Just a band.
The Smiths… Just a band.
Nirvana… Just a band.
The Pixies… Just a band.
Oasis… Just a band.
Radiohead… Just a band.
Bloc Party… Just a band.

sorry, i just HAD to quote that

someone quote me.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Take it to the religion thread.
*reported*
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington