What exactly is the difference between the two??

I know that some people will automatically laugh at my ubernoobness and point out that the difference is that pianists play piano and ketboardists play keyboard. True as this is, if you played an electric guitar would you call yourself an electric guitarist or a guitarist? A guitarist, methinks.

And that is essentially what a keyboard is, an electric piano. Also, to play piano and keyboard you use exactly the same skills, so i'd say a keyboard was a type of piano. Therefore, keyboardists are all pianists in my mind. If we were to call people by the type of instrument they played then we would have precision bassists, jazz bassists, and non-fender bassists .

So is there any real difference? And are there any skills that you need for playing one that you wouldn't have from playing the other?
Quote by 12345abcd3
to play piano and keyboard you exactly the same skills, so i'd say a keyboard was a type of piano. Therefore, keyboardists are all pianists in my mind

Actually, pianos are keyboard instruments.
Quote by 12345abcd3
If we were to call people by the type of instrument they played then we would have precision bassists, jazz bassists, and non-fender bassists .

No, because then you would distinguish between Roland keyboardists, Yamaha keyboardists, Steinway pianists ...

It's like the difference between electric and acoustic guitarists. There are different techniques and technologies used with each type.
Last edited by blue_strat at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by blue_strat
Actually, pianos are keyboard instruments.

So would you say all pianist are keyboardists?
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by 12345abcd3
So would you say all pianist are keyboardists?

Consult Wikipedia.

I just call them pianists and keyboard players.
there are such things as 'jazz bassists' or 'classical guitarists' or 'concert pianists'
so, we do have distinctions like that because they require (as stated above) different techniques or instruments and the like.
=blue strat]It's like the difference between electric and acoustic guitarists. There are different techniques and technologies used with each type.

But both electric guitarists and acoustic guitarists are under the broad category of guitarists, so what would category would keyboardists and pianist be under?

Quote by phoenix_88
there are such things as 'jazz bassists' or 'classical guitarists' or 'concert pianists'
so, we do have distinctions like that because they require (as stated above) different techniques or instruments and the like.

Again, all types of bassists are bassists, so what would keboardists and pianists be?
well technique is fairly different. pianists are more often than not a solo act, and therefore they must play "rhythm" and "lead" at the same time. keyboardists are often with a band, and therefore due a lot more right hand stuff. they also use "riffs" more often, making them similar to guitarists. chords are sometimes played as well.
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
There is a difference ...I play both and I've noticed that an electronic keyboard is VERY different to play. The weight of the keys mostly, and the feel of it all.

The fact that one is a more "organic" sound to the other, does affect the way I play it, the use of sustain pedals etc etc differs, and again, the keys are different.

It's a lot to do with the feel, and small differences in the approach to playing them.

...also, electric keyboards often have a load of extra shiz on them, drums beats, screens... etc...

Oh, and an electric keyboard can NEVER sound like an iver 100 year old grand.
Generally:

Pianist - Will play a grand piano or something similar (a piano with hammers, not electric)

Keyboardist - Will play various types of keyboard, most generally include effects that acn be used in the song that a regular piano cannot generate. (Think of any Pink Floyd album, they generally have a keyboard with effects over it in their songs.)
Quote by 12345abcd3
What exactly is the difference between the two??

weighted keys usually
Keyboardist just summarizes electric piano and other effects EXCLUDING SYNTH.

Pianist only if you're playing an acoustic piano.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I dont know if it was mentioned or not, but I play both and Pianos start on A, whereas most keyboards start on C

Edit: I've played on keyboards that start on F and C, but i've found that C's are much more common. Maybe its just a coincidence... I dunno
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Last edited by BostonLP at Aug 29, 2008,
If we called them all keyboardists then we couldn't make jokes about 11 inch pianists and such.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by ealtdharkon
Except you don't play it like one.

And it doesn't sound like one.

Well a violin is a string instrument. And you don't play that like a guitar, nor does it sound like one. A guitar makes a very different noise when played with a bow.

Just because the strings are not plucked doesn't mean that it's not strings.
The difference between Pianists and Keyboardists is largely to do with left hand technique.

Keyboardists spend the majority of their time playing chords with their left hand and melody with their right. Pianists however often have arpeggios and melody figures appearing in the left hand aswell as the right. (Much hard IMO)

Thats just my take on it though.

It is quite right that they are both keyboard instruments but that isn't such a strong link. For example would you call an organ player or an accordion player a keyboardist?
Quote by Saintsatan
Keep in mind that a grand piano is essentially a string instrument.

Piano is a percussion instrument.

Quote by Saintsatan
Just because the strings are not plucked doesn't mean that it's not strings.

String instruments all involve the player directly manipulating the string, whereas strings on the piano are used as a percussive medium.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 29, 2008,