What do you think about them?

I work at a retail outlet called Meijer, its pretty much Wal-Mart but it's only in 7 states in the mid-west. We have a union, though i don't like it. It doesn't do anything that I couldn't take care for myself (so far the only thing it promises is that you won't get below 12 hours a week unless you choose to, though the store i work in can't afford to give very many people fewer than 12 hours a week).

and even though it doesn't guarantee me much, i still have to pay $5.95 in union dues on every paycheck, whether I make $200 or $80 (we get paid weekly).

so as for my, i don't like my union because there's nothing in it for me.
punch it in the balls
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
If it's time for a pay rise and inflation is 5% and you're only getting 2.5% then you'll wish you had the union fighting your corner with strike action to get you a fair pay rise.

Having said that if you're like 17 and work in a shop being in the union doesn't really matter.
If you didn't have a union, there would be nothing to keep you from being treated the same as workers at walmart. While your union might not be actively doing much right now, just its presence is protecting you.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
If you didn't have a union, there would be nothing to keep you from being treated the same as workers at walmart. While your union might not be actively doing much right now, just its presence is protecting you.

This.

It's more of an insurance policy than anything.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Quote by dudius

so as for my, i don't like my union because there's nothing in it for me

39 hour working week, Minimum wage, Unfair dismissal law, verbal warning, second verbal warning, written warning, Holidays, Sick pay, health and safety legislation, contract of employment, Pension scheme, overtime pay, yearly pay rises. All of these things, and more, were gotten for you through union membership. By being a member of a union you are protecting those rights and allowing the movement to continue and deal with new challenges and ensure that your working conditions are kept in top shape. This "but what have they done for me lately" attitude sickens me. If everyone left the unions and they dissolved so would all of those laws. Do you think that your employer isn't in a union?
There is always safety in numbers, and collective action has been proven throughout history to be far more effective than individual action, particularly in employment law.

You say that you can do all of the things your union will do for you for yourself? Bull****. You pay under $6 a week and for that you receive all of the benefits that I've listed above, and your employer will be much less likely to mess you about, but on top of that you also have a crack team of employment law experts at your disposal for less than $300 a year. My father is a union official and in all of the time that he has been working for the union he has never once lost a case, not once. Even when faced with some of the best barristers (lawyers to you Americans) in the country. Why? Because this is what he does every day, he knows those laws by heart. You will pay over $1,000 for a barrister (as many employers have to do when faced with legal action from a union), but they will not beat someone who deals exclusively in employment law every day of the week. And in the unlikely event that they do, the union knows that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Of course it is likely that you will never need that service, because your employer won't mess with a unionised workforce unless he's a dumbass, but if you are ever unfortunate enough to be unfairly dismissed, as I was, you can expect massive compensation and reinstatement. Bearing in mind of course that unfair dismissal is only one example of the times when you may require a union to help you.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 29, 2008,