I have to choose what I want to study by January but Im still not sure. Im thinking on either Political Science, Journalism or Philosophy. Anyone knows what kind of work I can find with a philosophy diploma?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Aug 29, 2008,
You can teach philosophy.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
So many options...Writing or teaching. Good luck
------------------------------------------------------- ~ UG's Nirvana Fangirl ~ -------------------------------------------------------

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
I had a teacher with a philosophy degree.
He couldn't find a job and had to go back to college to do something else.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I had a teacher with a philosophy degree.
He couldn't find a job and had to go back to college to do something else.
Dang, just checked my college site and it says I can find a job teacher, writing and as a consulatant on ethics, philosophy, ethics, etc but I'm thinking it won't be easy to find a job :/
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Philosophy majors tend to be pseudo-intellectual, arrogant people who prove to be useless in the real world.

I say choose a different major. If you want to be a philosopher, you really shouldn't need to major in it.
It will be hard finding a job. I guess teaching is one, but I took a course in philosophy last year and my teacher kept repeating that philosophy is about "beards but no bread".
Quote by texico11
Sorry, you're about 2300 years too late.

Good luck trying to convince people about your moon creatures.

????
-Homer Simpson
Actually, there are a lot of jobs that will prefer people with degrees of any sort.

If they've got a list of applicants, and most of them have BAs, but then a couple have MAs, they're going to be most interested in those with MAs, because they instantly have a sign of further commitment, work and maybe even intelligence.

People will generally hire philosophy majors for their analytic-thinking skills; being able to see a problem from various perspectives and have an open mind.
Quote by blue_strat

People will generally hire philosophy majors for their analytic-thinking skills; being able to see a problem from various perspectives and have an open mind.

This is true, but political science is a far better choice.
My brother got his bachelors in philosophy then went to law school and is now a lawyer.
Yeah, Philosophy itself isn't really worth anything in the work-world, but it is a great stepping stone piece into Law School, Medical School, or various Master's programs. It's a good curriculum, a lot of fun (if you're into it), and encourages a lot of advanced thinking skills that help one to become a more thoughtful and intellectually independent person.
Quote by texico11
Sorry, i was hoping more people would get my aristotle reference

I'm not suprised they didn't with the way you put it.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
Philosophy majors tend to be pseudo-intellectual, arrogant people who prove to be useless in the real world.

I say choose a different major. If you want to be a philosopher, you really shouldn't need to major in it.

Ironic use of the word 'arrogant'.