Well today I went up to Guitar Center to play a roland cube 60w amp, seeing I was looking into getting one. The sales person told me they didnt have any on display, nor did GC keep them in stock, but he told me how nice of amps they are and said he could order one. Of course I didnt because I want to play it first. So after buying strings, picks, and a Rush tab book and screwing around with different guitars I went next door to sam ash to see if they had one. I plugged in and played the roland cube and I really liked it, I thought it was great for the price. When I asked to try a crybaby wah pedal though, the sales associate trys to sell me to this line 6 spider valve he hooked the pedal up to, saying the cube wouldnt be loud enough for playing with a drummer and bassist for small gigs, like a small party. The pedal was great, but even for a tube amp I didnt really care for the valve, it did sound better than the cube seeing its 200 dollars more and all, but it still had the things I didnt like about the Spider IIIs.

So two questions.

1. Was he wrong, will a cube be enough for practice and a few small gigs?

2. What are your opinions on the Spider Valves?

I could probably talk my parents into getting me the second, but I thought id get some opinions.

I play at my house most of the time btw if that helps, I know that tube amps can get unbareably loud sometimes to get a good sound out of them with some of them.

Edit: Forgot to say, I play mostly punk and grunge, want an amp with good cleans and distortion that isnt muddy(which I know spider IIIs are famous for). I'm not gonna be playing any clubs or anything soon, I dont need anything louder than what I said I need.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Aug 29, 2008,
Anybody have experience with these on this site?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by mcrfobtai
They are alright. I prefer the cubes personally, which will be loud enough for small gigs.

This is kind of what I thought, seeing they are cheaper, and the only line 6 amps i ever liked were flextones, I think this sam ash guy was trying to force it on me or something. The cube seemed loud, seeing I couldnt crank it past 3 or it would be too loud.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The Cube 60 not loud enough for small gigs?! I've got one and I get it to about volume 2.5 before it starts deafening me.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
The Cube 60 not loud enough for small gigs?! I've got one and I get it to about volume 2.5 before it starts deafening me.

Yeah, it seemed pretty loud, I think the guy didnt hear me clearly or he just really wanted to sell the valve.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
i am seriously considering buying this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-212-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483067
i would like to know is how reliable is it? i plan on gigging with it in the future and i dont want it crapping out on me. i dont mean to hijack this thread but i saw it and instead of making another ill ask here
Quote by necroscience13
i am seriously considering buying this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-Valve-212-40W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483067
i would like to know is how reliable is it? i plan on gigging with it in the future and i dont want it crapping out on me. i dont mean to hijack this thread but i saw it and instead of making another ill ask here

Its probably good you hijacked my thread, there are too many of these. Thats the exact same amp I played today, it gets loud, its got all the presets and effects of its other line 6 brothers. Its a pretty good amp, go play one before you buy though.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I don't know what it is, but every time I go into my local guitar shop and ask about amps the guy there tries to sell me a Spider also. Probably cause they're desperate to get rid of them.

But seriously, if you can get the guy to sell you the Line6 at the price of the Cube or less (which he sounds like he just might) give it some thought cause I've played a valve Spider and they're actually pretty good bits of gear. Much better than the solid state one that you have.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
I don't know what it is, but every time I go into my local guitar shop and ask about amps the guy there tries to sell me a Spider also. Probably cause they're desperate to get rid of them.

But seriously, if you can get the guy to sell you the Line6 at the price of the Cube or less (which he sounds like he just might) give it some thought cause I've played a valve Spider and they're actually pretty good bits of gear. Much better than the solid state one that you have.

True that, sounded way better than that ****ty 75w Spider III that sits in my room.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Its probably good you hijacked my thread, there are too many of these. Thats the exact same amp I played today, it gets loud, its got all the presets and effects of its other line 6 brothers. Its a pretty good amp, go play one before you buy though.
i have and i really liked it. reliability is my only concern. anyone?
Quote by necroscience13
i have and i really liked it. reliability is my only concern. anyone?

The one I played (albeit only for a few minutes inside a guitar shop) felt pretty solid. The only reason I didn't seriously consider it is because I want a good clean which I can build on with pedals and effects, and everyone knows no Line6 works well with external effects. But if you don't use any, I think you may have just got a pretty underrated amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I dunno how they would be in the long run, but seeing im on a budget ima stick to the cube probably, i hear those last but does anyone know about those?

Also answer the guy above me too.

Edit: I meant the guy above the guy above me.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by shadow__666
The one I played (albeit only for a few minutes inside a guitar shop) felt pretty solid. The only reason I didn't seriously consider it is because I want a good clean which I can build on with pedals and effects, and everyone knows no Line6 works well with external effects. But if you don't use any, I think you may have just got a pretty underrated amp.

This man speaks the truth, line 6 just has a bad reputation because of their terrible worse than MG sounding spider III's. A wah pedal probably be the only thing as far as external effects that would sound good on it.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
This man speaks the truth, line 6 just has a bad reputation because of their terrible worse than MG sounding spider III's. A wah pedal probably be the only thing as far as external effects that would sound good on it.
well all i really want is a channel switcher and maybe a wah. i do like this amp a lot but how it holds up in the long run is my most important question.
It seems like it would hold up pretty well as long as you dont beat the **** out of it and take care of it.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
what genres do you play exactly?
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
For $830 you can do much, much better than the spider valve. With that kind of money you could buy plenty of amps that are much better, imo, than the spider valve. And probably still have enough money left over to get a tube and speaker swap.

What kind of music are you guys playing?
Ok, are you super sttached to built in effects? If not try for a nice tube combo, such as teh crate V series, which everyone has marked down super low. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33212-33W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487056

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by theinnerpalm
For $830 you can do much, much better than the spider valve. With that kind of money you could buy plenty of amps that are much better, imo, than the spider valve. What kind of music are you guys playing?

I'm totally on board with theinnerpalm here. Even a used $450 amp would be better. Look for a used Traynor YCV50 for what you want to play, Classic 30 or 50, Delta Blues... bla bla bla
Quote by gregs1020
I'm totally on board with theinnerpalm here. Even a used $450 amp would be better. Look for a used Traynor YCV50 for what you want to play, Classic 30 or 50, Delta Blues... bla bla bla

If you find a used flextone, i think they sound better than the valves.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by necroscience13
i play metal, mostly death metal. i know what your going to say already haha.
i dont care what anyone says, the spider valves insane channel distortion is extremely desirable to me. and i like all the effects it comes with

Sounds like your set on it though,

but since i started this thread, should i just get the cube? Is it worth saving up my money for something I probably dont need?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
If you find a used flextone, i think they sound better than the valves.

I played a Flextone last week, it was under $300 new, $289 I believe. It sounded good at low volumes, I didn't get to crank it. I messed around with the effects a bit. I guess in the end my impression was it looked better than it sounded. I give it an "A" for styling but that's not going to get you tone. A lot of people prefer SS to tube/valve for what you want to play. It's all preference in the end. Cube 60 is a great metal amp.
Edit: Yes, the cleans are very good on the Roland.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 30, 2008,
cube gets good cleans too from what I hear, I didnt get to mess around with the cleans too much on it but from what I heard they sounded better than line 6 cleans.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by shadow__666

No, it's because they're on commission.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

This is what I thought, either way I don't get tricked into buying **** anymore after me and my bro bought spiders.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The rolands can be surprisingly loud, in my experiance. I like them, though I don't personally own one at the moment. The tone on distortion is decent, too, which is a plus. Some amps suck bad when you start adding gain...

I do, however, have a Spider III. I personally like the Spider Valves, because it's fun to mess around with the presets. I'd use them if I had the money, becuase they have a nice range of sounds you can get and the distortion is usually good, if a little muddy occasionally. The Insane tone is awesome if you play metal.
The Wheel of Time turns. What was may be again, and what is may yet pass...
i honestly dont know folks agenda with Line 6. quick to criticize. i was sceptical and sat in Guitar Guitar for an hour and a half with an LTD EC-1000 EMG equipped and was loving the high gain tones and the crystal cleans.

maybe folk in between wont like it for rock, alternative, mild overdriven tones, but for high gain its really awesome and does what you need it to do, with an amp providing serious flexibility.

Dave Mustaine has a signature Line 6 pre-amp which produces ALL his tones, FX, the lot. I bet there are plenty of Megadeth fans slating Line 6 unknown their favourite band swears by the company !!!!

Mustaine used to use Marshall pre-amps and ditched them, and even admits the Line 6 pre-amp sounds BETTER ! and he aint promoting Line 6 when he says it, which goes a long way in my book.

u have to try it, only advice worth giving.
i'd get the spider valve over the cube. 60W SS isnt enough to be gigging IMO

the SV wasnt even that bad when i played it
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by oneblackened

Even in New Zealand? I mean I was thinking of an AVT and the salesman (who otherwise is a nice guy who always dispenses advice when I ask for it without being pushy) kept trying to tell me that the solid Spider was better value even after I said I didn't want the onboard effects. I tried the solid one and I wasn't impressed at all, but then he pulled out a valve one and I quite liked the clean tone. Only after I tested it through my rig did I realise it was sh*t.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
lol this thread depresses me the only external effexts i have is a wah pedal...

edit: and it does sound pretty damn good lolz
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
i'd get the spider valve over the cube. 60W SS isnt enough to be gigging IMO

the SV wasnt even that bad when i played it

Im not talking about playing a club or some ****, I just need something that I can be heard while playing with a drummer. You must have never played a cube, for SS they are pretty loud amps, not to mention I cant afford much over 400.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
bumped cuz i feel like it
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I just came accross this thread, and also just got my Spider Valve 112 a few days ago. I also have a Flextone II 212. The valve smokes the Flextone in every aspect. EVERY aspect. Not just because its new to me, it really sounds that much better. Much less digital due to the tube stage, and the cleans are pristine, warm, full, and dynamic. I like the dstortions on it, but I really think the clean channels are where the amp shows its stuff. Some people have said the cleans are gritty and not smooth... remember this is an actual tube amp and reacts dynamically to the volume knob on the guitar which most people who use SS amps keep dimed out. Lower the volume, smooth out the tone. Anyway, I really like it but I would have liked some type of footswitch with it as I don't want to go to the face of the amp every time I want to change channels. Also, the effects and reverb are not great, so pedals are still a part of my rig. And one more side note, the Metal Zone pedal that sounded harsh on the flextone, now sounds full and powerful on the Clean Blue LED setting of this amp. Hope you guys check this amp out, its a great deal for the price.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13