Hey guys ive been listening to alot of rise against recently and I dont know how but Joe Principe has an amazing bass tone.

Ive looked around and cant find much. Does anyone know his settings, gear etc. How he gets his tone?
On the record, he uses a Mesa Big Block 750 going into a Mesa 4x12, an Ampeg SVT-CL into an Ampeg 810E, and finally a Marshall JCM900 into a Marshall 4x12 cab. It's a lot of stuff, but it gets a sweet sound, indeed. He also uses a Tech21 Sansamp pedal. His picks are green Dunlop Tortex .88's.

I believe he uses the Mesa rig for distortion and the Ampeg rig for his foundation "clean" sound. The Marshall JCM900 is probably also used for additional flavor on the record. I'm not sure which amp gets the Sansamp, or if it's just used direct. The Big Block 750 has the best distortion tones on Earth (next to the venerable D180), so I imagine he used that amp's built-in overdrive.

Oh yeah, and for basses, he uses random Fenders, mostly a Geddy Lee Jazz, or an American '57 P-Bass reissue. With DiMarzio Cliplock straps, and Ernie Ball Regular Slinky strings. Basses are tuned a half-step down.

And I think he used an Ebow on a couple of songs as well, but I'm not sure.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Aug 29, 2008,
is there any way to emulate his sound without all that?

the bass driver alone is 200 bucks let alone all the other stuff u mentioned. I guess thats what I meant to ask in the beggining. If there was any way to EMULATE his tone without those things(i do have a fender bass though)
Quote by NCBass93
is there any way to emulate his sound without all that?

the bass driver alone is 200 bucks let alone all the other stuff u mentioned. I guess thats what I meant to ask in the beggining. If there was any way to EMULATE his tone without those things(i do have a fender bass though)

Not really, unfortunately. My suggestion is to throw on some fresh Ernie Ball Slinkies, turn the knobs on your bass all the way up, grab a pick, and go for it! What amp are you using? Also, you will really, really need a Sansamp. Really. That's a big part of his sound, and nothing sounds like a sansamp but a sansamp. It's the cheapest part of his rig and the easiest to grab a great sound from.

But yeah, what amp are you using?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
A GK Backline 600 going into a GK 210 backline cab

(ill eventually get a 115 to add)
With that, I'd boost the bass to 1:00, the mids to 2:00, and the treble to 2:00. Ish. Play around with it until you get some punch and grind. But GK's are hella clean, so you'll need a good overdrive. I can recommend the Boss ODB-3, or the Sansamp pedal. Don't get a Big Muff or other guitar drive, they totally eat your tone. The MXR Blowtorch is also pretty kickass.