I've been playing for four years self-taught. My problem, if it is a problem, is that I use two different ways of holding the pick for different techniques.

I kinda hold the pick with my fingers straight, which feels most relaxing and natural and works very nicely for nearly everything except when I need to do 16ths (including triplets and similar techniques).

When I'm about to do 16ths, my hand changes so the pick is between my bent index finger and thumb, which is almost identical to the "correct" way of picking, except I can't reach more than 3 strings with this hand position due to anchoring my palm, which also means I can't up/down strum chords slower than 8ths in this position.

I've been experimenting a lot with other ways of holding the pick with no real success. I've tried to stick to the standard way of picking, but it feels way too unnatural if I don't anchor.

You can see my pick holding techniques on my profile page.

So should I try to develop either one of these techniques to be all purpose, or give both up and relearn how to hold a pick completely?
There isn't any real way to hold a pick. It's player preference.

Just some key things to remember, always feel comfortable, no stress, just smooth. This is obtained by starting everything slow. Even double picking should feel easy and smooth, little effort involved.

Also, don't anchor your palm unless you have too (ie palm muting etc..)

You always wanna be able to get the sound you want, and a lot of this has to do with where on the string or over which pickup you are playing over.

Plucking strings more above the neck pickup compared to the bridge pickup will give drastically different results. Again, this is all about sound preference. But you wanna be able to shift seamlessly from one pickup position to the other, and this is one of the reasons you wanna play more with the palm un-anchored.

When you play 'un-anchored' as we will now call it, you also develop ultimate control over your picking hand. Your muscles will learn where they need to be so you don't have to think as much. So please! try and learn to play like this. It will make playing the guitar over and behind your head so easy while jumping around screaming a cakewalk.

EDIT: as for how the plectrum is held in the strumming hand, you will figure this out as there is no real way to hold the pick as mentioned before, though some variations offer technique limitations (which you have discovered yourself) so this is something that will evolve with time as your skill and competence for the instrument increases.
Quote by SungWismyName
What does sustain,pickup, and humblewockey(its wrong but it sounds liek this) mean on electric guitars?
Quote by Lastin
There isn't any real way to hold a pick. It's player preference.

EDIT: as for how the plectrum is held in the strumming hand, you will figure this out as there is no real way to hold the pick as mentioned before, though some variations offer technique limitations (which you have discovered yourself) so this is something that will evolve with time as your skill and competence for the instrument increases.

Okay, let me ask you how you hold a pick? I want to know the way to hold it that allows me to go from casual strumming to sweeping without changing how I hold the pick.

The thing is, I'm actually aware I will get nowhere with my favourite way of picking. 16ths this way will make the pick fly out of my hand no matter how hard I try to develop this technique.

I found Paul Gilbert's video on the subject and his way seems to work for me.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Aug 29, 2008,