Page 1 of 2
i love the shape of it, but i'm just wondering sound wise do you think it would actually hold up to something with say emg's? or blackouts?
thanks
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
dude i love my Explorer! i play metal and the stock pick-ups sound great! But yeah EMG's will probably make it sound a whole lot better!
EMG's can actually be put into many different guitars because they don't rely as heavily on the tone of the wood - a good deal of the metal tone comes from the amp.
Explorers give a really thick tone compared to something like an RG, Rather than emg's id just go for some hot-rodded duncans, leave the rest up to your amp

it really depends what sort of metal
Quote by Ghold125
...use's ESP and Ken Lawrence

thought he used a gibson for the first few years up until either FtB or MoP then used ESPs cause i know the F**k you white explorer was ESP. and hammet used gibson Vs for a while as well
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by Ghold125
...use's ESP and Ken Lawrence

In 86 and MAYBE 87 Hetfield did use a Gibson Explorer, then he found out about ESP and yeah...

I got a Gibson Explorer and i love it, and i play metal but as someone stated you would need the right amp
i wouldnt ruin a gibson explorer with EMGs
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

My Epi Explorer is SUPER versatile. I don't play metal, but I'm sure it could handle it.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
An explorer is wood actually, as are all guitars. Seriously, the amp is the most important part of the tone.
I like Explorer tone... nice and chunky, not that thinner bleed shred sound, its all like, Gurrr i'm angry.

I personally do not love emgs... I was considering grabbing some for a while....

IMHO the Ceramic magnet pups they load Explorers with stock are preety hot...
i know it can handle early metallica, since hetfield used it (paired with the right amp of course, a jcm 900 i'm thinking) but what about like slayer, megadeth, stuff like that
pantera, maybe even some slipknot?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Any guitar can play anything you want, just depends on the amp you have.

I don't see where someone can get off saying a guitar with humbuckers can't play metal, seriously, I play metal on my Strat and it kicks ass
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
James Root (From Slipknot) uses Modified Telecaster Guitars with EMG's. Mick Thomson uses his Signature Guitar from Ibanez, which I believe is also loaded with EMG's. Kerry King, from Slayer, uses BC Rich custom guitars, but I believe they all use either EMG's or Rockfield BDSM pickups. I know Kerry King uses a Marshall Signature Amp Series, and Kirk Hammett uses a Randall Signature series.

Pretty much everyone here has it right. EMG's are good, but most of your actual
'metal' sound will come from your amp. I like using either the Digitech Death Metal or Grunge and running straight into a tube amp on the cleanest setting.

Hope this helps.
Quote by jmpullen
James Root (From Slipknot) uses Modified Telecaster Guitars with EMG's. Mick Thomson uses his Signature Guitar from Ibanez, which I believe is also loaded with EMG's. Kerry King, from Slayer, uses BC Rich custom guitars, but I believe they all use either EMG's or Rockfield BDSM pickups. I know Kerry King uses a Marshall Signature Amp Series, and Kirk Hammett uses a Randall Signature series.

Pretty much everyone here has it right. EMG's are good, but most of your actual
'metal' sound will come from your amp. I like using either the Digitech Death Metal or Grunge and running straight into a tube amp on the cleanest setting.

Hope this helps.

Those have got to be the worst examples of good tone...

you're making EMG look bad
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Those have got to be the worst examples of good tone...

you're making EMG look bad

The guys from slipknot have pretty decent tone, actually.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
The guys from slipknot have pretty decent tone, actually.

imo their tone is horribly generic and bland
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Eddie van halen used one (well, an ibanez copy) on the studio version of "You Really Got Me", so i'm pretty sure it can handel metal.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
swisgar uses emgs and a explorer
and slipknot isn't really metal.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Any guitar can play anything you want, just depends on the amp you have.

I don't see where someone can get off saying a guitar with humbuckers can't play metal, seriously, I play metal on my Strat and it kicks ass

This.

And you don't need high output humbucker to play metal, either.
Quote by theocao
swisgar uses emgs and a explorer
and slipknot isn't really metal.

so just a standard explorer (i'm thinking a new one not older) through a jcm 900 can do metallica, megdeth, slayer, pantera, slipknot etc. just fine?
and it can also do some other explorer esque sounds right? like the edge and say lynyrd skynyrd?
all on the same guitar?
pretty crazy
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
so just a standard explorer (i'm thinking a new one not older) through a jcm 900 can do metallica, megdeth, slayer, pantera, slipknot etc. just fine?
and it can also do some other explorer esque sounds right? like the edge and say lynyrd skynyrd?
all on the same guitar?
pretty crazy

The tone is more dependent on the amp... so yes it could do skynyrd and edge tones... with the right amp.

If your using like a VHT or a 6505 it would be tough. JCM900s are preety versatille in my opinion, so it should be able to sound the way you want it.
so overall paired with the right amp, a explorer with the stock pickups could do metal, as well as hard rock, and just normal classic humbucker sounds?
plus what about gibson vs. epiphone, is the gibson name worth it?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Epiphone with a pup change won't be like a Gibson, but a good EPi is close.

ah so do you think it would be worth it to buy a epi and change the pickups?
i'm thinking to just go for a used gibson for around 6-7-800? usd?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I say Gibson Explorer is THE metal guitar. If I ever buy another 6-string, it will be an Explorer

God they're pretty...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball

I rest my case.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus