Hi.

Well, i finaly managed to get a band together, after almost a year and a half of searching for a drummer. So, we had a couple of practices, and we pretty much have down Paranoid, Highway to hell and Lep Dan Za Smrt (you probably dont know it).
I was designated to be the lead guitar, and my friend was suposed to do rythm and singing. And gues what. He chickened out, so now i have to sing and be the lead, wich makes me feel like im taking all the spotlight. So i dunno what to do, make him sing or just let him stand in the corner playing? Also, he isnt really good, and doesnt know any theory. (Im no yngwie malmsteen, but i have decent knowledge of theory, and play decent) How can i make him learn it? Should i teach him, or give him something to read?
As i said before, it looks like im also stuck with vocals, so how can i make the most of my voice? I have a pretty low voice, but all the songs we have planed are pretty high, and i feel really silly singing trough my nose like Axl for exaple. And what can i do to prevent hoarsnes after i sing? I could barely speak after the last practice?
And last, how do i get gigs? Would playing at our school be a decent first gig, since i saw a couple of bands play there, and the crowd is really unresponsive, they pretty much just sit there with empty looks on there faces...
If this thread isnt apropriate for this forum, colse.

Also, i apologize for my poor spelling and grammar, but its really late here and im sleepy...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
As far as singing while playing. Practice a lot, and if you haven't had any training and end up sucking, be honest with yourself. Your band may be nice and say you're not that bad, but if you know you suck, be straight up about it and insist your band figures it out. No one likes having to solve the issue of vocals, but it's the main thing a lot of people pay attention to, and it's very important.
Tell your buddy he needs to be more enthusiastic about the music and singing. Its natural for most vocalists to get the stage fright (well, that makes me unnatural) so its ok if he freakezoided. Just practice, get tight, and make sure each member is freindly and contributing to the band. Practice with eachother as often as possible. If you want your band to go anywhere, try to break the mold and come up with new ways to play a certain perception of sound. As far as getting gigs goes, the internet has become a very viable source, emailing venues listed locally in your area is almost becoming standard practice.
What about making original material, should i try to make the whole song in GP or something, or just provide the chord progression and the lyrics, and let everybody do what feels best to them. Or maybe tell them what i want the song to feel like, and give them some directions? Cause im really not that comfortable as being the band leader, bossing people around like that. But i gues one of us most take charge or something?
Im really wanting this to work, and be fund at the same time, since i spent so much time getting us together. Also, we got paranoid and Dan za smrt pretty much down (the other guitarist actualy learnt the solo for that one) and it felt sooooo god when we went trough the songs with no problem! I can only imagine what its like when you do that on stage...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
What about making original material, should i try to make the whole song in GP or something, or just provide the chord progression and the lyrics, and let everybody do what feels best to them. Or maybe tell them what i want the song to feel like, and give them some directions? Cause im really not that comfortable as being the band leader, bossing people around like that. But i gues one of us most take charge or something?
Im really wanting this to work, and be fund at the same time, since i spent so much time getting us together. Also, we got paranoid and Dan za smrt pretty much down (the other guitarist actualy learnt the solo for that one) and it felt sooooo god when we went trough the songs with no problem! I can only imagine what its like when you do that on stage...

Try to teach him the parts that you write for him, and try to encourage him to write music as well. I write most of the lyrics in the band (If I don't write all of them, I edit the ones the other guys write) and all the main guitar lines, and also I do the internet managing and booking most of the time. There sometimes must be one person to take charge, but you have to try to encourage the other members to write and preform thier own stuff. I force my bassist to write his own lines, and force my drummer to come up with his own beats. Try to incorperate everyone into the creative process. In that way, you should be bonded together and able to preform with eachother. And try not to be egotistical about it. That is Key