So there's a Starbucks-ish type place opening up near me that's paying a small but decent amount of money to anyone that wants to come and play there. Now I'm bandless, with a electric guitar, an amp, and no voice. Anyone care to recommend some songs for my situation? I'd consider myself a moderate player, yet willing to put some time into any song to learn. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Jazz
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Unintended - Muse
Soldier's Poem - Muse
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Random Muzak crap. Alternatively, extremely light rock music. Solo guitar music, even. Keep the tone light as well, no songs with emotional depth. You don't go to a coffee shop for depth, you go for the latte. Music is a bonus.
Tera Melos. Anything by Tera Melos. Dont go to youtube though there is nothing of good video quality there.
Quote by Soul Power
Jazz
this.
/thread, NOW
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
Jam on some jazzy chords. Play some walking chord basslines and you can go one forever.

Also, learn some chord melodies. A good one is Autumn Leaves. Learn some for some popular rock songs too, it goes over well.
Do a fusion of melody/guitar part for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I've heard one on the uke.
Quote by TheOneManBand12
maybe play some buckethead songs he has some songs that arent that hard and he plays tons of different genres

+1
Try the songs Soothsayer and Jordan by him, they're great live songs.
Fingerpick 'Hallelujah'.

Or do a straight cover of Jeff Buckley's version.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Just do a bunch of famous acoustic songs on electric (without distortion obviously) like Classical Gas or Blackbird. Also, try singing various songs, you'd be surprised that some of them might actually fit within your natural range.
sorry dude i cant think of anything
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Let it Die by the Foo Fighters could keep people occupied with just the guitar part. Its a little difficult, but sounds great. Any kind of fingerpicked stuff would be cool.
Play something lowkey like Jack Johnson or John Mayer and close with Ozzy to make everyone wondering who you are and what your deal is.
Quote by Eminored
Yeah, I can't sing at all.

Why you wanna do this? Do you really think you can entertain people with a just a guitar and an amp?

On topic, I suggest
Opeth-Benighted
Get a looping pedal and put down a chord progression. Do some blues or jazz jamming over it. Metal and shred won't get you anywhere in a coffee shop.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by metaldud536
Why you wanna do this? Do you really think you can entertain people with a just a guitar and an amp?

On topic, I suggest
Opeth-Benighted

For a bit of experience, hopefully meet other musicians. I've seen people do it in the street before. I may not be godly, but I'm confident, and I'm willing to give anything a shot. Can't hurt, might help.

Again thanks to everyone else for the suggestions I'm looking through them all.
Quote by SupremeACL
Get a looping pedal and put down a chord progression. Do some blues or jazz jamming over it. Metal and shred won't get you anywhere in a coffee shop.

Unless the folks like coffee
Quote by saitenslayer
sorry dude i cant think of anything

you post in a thread with 20 something replies to say you have nothing to post?

I like that Naudo guy somebody mentioned before, that's great stuff. Maybe you could do some acoustic versions of Shins songs, or extend rhoads' Dee

whatever you do, make sure if flows. longer, easy listening songs. are the people there going to be focused on you or is it just like a background thing while they're just in there for drinks?

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Last edited by MTVget0FFtheAIR at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by TheOneManBand12
maybe play some buckethead songs he has some songs that arent that hard and he plays tons of different genres

THIS.

play "For Mom" or "Electric Tears"
It's more of a background thing. No spotlights or anything. I went there once when there was another guy (crazy mad player, loved him), but only a few people clapped. Rest were on their computers, chatting, or just playing some board games. He already showed me some of the jazzy stuff he used, so I'm working off of that too.