Any one else think abstract art is just ridiculous and a waste of time?

I went to this art shop with my Mum and brother and his girlfirend and there was this abstract art and I realized how annoying it is to me.

I personally think a metal catfish with a hairbrush for a hand mounted onto a rock while holding a pine apple is not art at all

Anyone else feel the same about it? I like art just I like paintings like nature ones and ones of acutal objects to showcase real talent.
Not all abstract art is bad......just the bad abstract art.

http://www.uelsmann.net/

That's actually probably surreal aswell.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Last edited by MedicreDemon at Aug 29, 2008,
Abstract art does involve talent. Art isn't just about how well you can paint something to look like it does in real life. That involves talent, yeah, but not a lot of imagination.

Abstract art is more about feelings, and appreciation of line, colour and emotion, and is very difficult to get right sometimes.
i personally think abstract art is retarded.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by mitchellator

I went to this art shop with my Mum and brother and his girlfirend and there was this abstract art and I realized how annoying it is to me.

I personally think a metal catfish with a hairbrush for a hand mounted onto a rock while holding a pine apple is not art at all

Anyone else feel the same about it? I like art just I like paintings like nature ones and ones of acutal objects to showcase real talent.

That's surrealist, not abstract.

^ surreal.

^ abstract.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by MedicreDemon
Not all abstract art is bad......just the bad abstract art.

http://www.uelsmann.net/

That's actually probably surreal aswell.

These are really interesting. Glad you provided this link.
While looking at a guitar magazine with some friends.

Quote by Kaleb
DUDE! Is that a Mel Gibson?!

Quote by boreamor
Don't you understand the importance of correct spelling and grammar? It's the online symbol of maturity. And you as sure as hell don't have that.
Quote by holden93
These are really interesting. Glad you provided this link.

Yeah no kidding I just found him today on this site www.masters-of-photography.com
which I went on in photography class I decided to do my report on him.

Uhh that site contains some nudity by the way.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I like some abstract art, but some is just unbearable to look at.
Anyone who thinks that music these days is dead doesn't listen to enough music.
Don't worry it's normal not to like abstract art. if you have a XV century mind, really if realism is you're thing and you think modern art is stupid it means you're just a vulgar guy and I'm afraid not an artist. personally I respect the realists bearing in mind the historical background but modern art is just so much more interesting anyone good with a brush can look at a tree and paint it but it takes an artist to look to a tree and paint a cat.
To be honest, most of the time when people don't like something they just don't get it. I don't understand abstract art, but I don't go around pretending i'm authority and saying it's bad. What's your authority on the subject?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I know what sureal art is I'm not some douche that doesn't know what he talks about, I just don't like half the modern art now, it isn't captivating to me, I don't see it as a woek of art but as just some random thing someone made
Quote by mitchellator
I know what sureal art is I'm not some douche that doesn't know what he talks about, I just don't like half the modern art now, it isn't captivating to me, I don't see it as a woek of art but as just some random thing someone made

Is it modern digital art you dislike, or um, non-digital art?
Quote by mitchellator

If you know the difference between surreal and abstract, then don't post things that are wrong.

And that's just opinion, other people like it. And even if you don't find it aesthetically pleasing, you can still find it interesting by learning about the artist, what they were trying to express, and the motives, history, politics and emotion that lies behind any art.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Look man why don't you look for a guy named marcel duchamp and read he's beliefs on art, for me he was one of the greatest visionarys of all time and if he won't change you're mind just get a job at starbucks
For life (dr evil laugh)
And really if you don't get modern art you don't get art at all.
Period.
If your telling me to be open minded be open minded to my opinion instead of acting like I'm some uneducated asshole talking about stuff I don't kno what I'm saying

Also I don't mean to offense anyone, if I did then I apaologize but I just don't llike art like that is all I'm saying
Last edited by mitchellator at Aug 29, 2008,
I can't appreciate abstract art, no matter what was behind it. I really hate it when I'm expected to infer meaning from something that could just as easily be the work of a toddler as an artistic mastermind. I just doesn't click with me.

I like abstract art when it's aesthetically pleasing, but I think some artists try way too hard to defy convention, which alienates my tastes. Take Marcel Duchamp, for instance. His "readymades" (everyday objects, like a snow shovel or a coat rack, presented as art) were chosen specifically because they weren't interesting to look at. As someone who is interested in things that are interesting, I personally don't get anything out of his readymades.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Those people who painted a canvas the same shade of blue. And then do nothing else with it. Is that abstract art? How is that art at all?

Always wondered about it.
Quote by rabidguitarist

^ abstract.

I R ARTIST.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Quote by Quintessence153
I can't appreciate abstract art, no matter what was behind it. I really hate it when I'm expected to infer meaning from something that could just as easily be the work of a toddler as an artistic mastermind. I just doesn't click with me.

I like abstract art when it's aesthetically pleasing, but I think some artists try way too hard to defy convention, which alienates my tastes. Take Marcel Duchamp, for instance. His "readymades" (everyday objects, like a snow shovel or a coat rack, presented as art) were chosen specifically because they weren't interesting to look at. As someone who is interested in things that are interesting, I personally don't get anything out of his readymades.

That is exactly what I mean when I say I don't like it
Quote by famefornothing
"Art is anything you can get away with."-Andy Warhol

I believe the opposite is true. Art is something that can be challenged or argued against.

Thus, this thread validates abstract art.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
My problem with a lot of the art being presented nowadays is not what it looks like. I don't have to think something is pretty to appreciate what the artist was trying to say when he/she made it. That, however, is the problem. A lot of stuff these days HAS a meaning, according to the artist, but that meaning is almost impossible for a viewer to understand without an explanation from its creator.
I really don't think it's necessary to obscure the message you're trying to get across. It's like trying to preach to the world about peace and love by talking about macaroni and cheese and flying. People can express themselves beautifully and creatively without having to throw an extremely confusing piece in front of it with a meaning apparent only to the person who made it.
You need to be able to appreciate the work.

I personally love most art, and I don't ignore abstract art.

Apart from Picasso, this brilliant Armenian would be my favourite.

Take a look - it's like most anything in life.
If you get it and like it, it's yours forever.
If not, there's plenty more beautiful things to appreciate out there.
kinda reminds me of when my friends tell me how much they hate my music. lol like death metal, theyr'e all like , the drummer is just banging the drums, and the vocalist is just screaming ooh big deal, a 4 year old can do that. ya sure, i dont understand every single lyric that every deathmetal song has, but like its still there, and i still enjoy it, and when i learn about it, i can relate sometimes, or it entertains me. and just because you can't seem to understand its effect on someone , doesn't mean it has no effect.
Quote by mitchellator

Yeah, abstract art is phail.
Quote by Darth_Qurashi
kinda reminds me of when my friends tell me how much they hate my music. lol like death metal, theyr'e all like , the drummer is just banging the drums, and the vocalist is just screaming ooh big deal, a 4 year old can do that. ya sure, i dont understand every single lyric that every deathmetal song has, but like its still there, and i still enjoy it, and when i learn about it, i can relate sometimes, or it entertains me. and just because you can't seem to understand its effect on someone , doesn't mean it has no effect.

I'm not saying is symbolizes nothing, I'm saying it doesn't make sense and I can't see what the artist is really saying within the peice of art
FINALLY!

The essence of The Pit captured in art!!!

Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by virtuosowannabe
Don't worry it's normal not to like abstract art. if you have a XV century mind, really if realism is you're thing and you think modern art is stupid it means you're just a vulgar guy and I'm afraid not an artist. personally I respect the realists bearing in mind the historical background but modern art is just so much more interesting anyone good with a brush can look at a tree and paint it but it takes an artist to look to a tree and paint a cat.

BLAH blah blah blah BLAHHHH blah BLAHHHHHH blah blah blah...

Stop trying to sound smart if you don't know what you're talking about.

Anyway, it really depends on the piece. You can't throw paint at the canvas and call it art really, it takes skill and effort to have an abstract piece construe a feeling or emotion.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
I checked out the site, and Jeff Soto is pretty interesting to me. His work gives the impression that he's actually trying. :p
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD