So, do the types of tubes an amp has determine it's voicing? Like Fender with their 6l6's and Marshall with their...EL34's I believe.
They have alot to do with it but its also determined by the speaker and the overall circuitry of the amp.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
they dont determine it, but they contribute to it.
but also, when you see a 6l6 is the stock tube in an amp, its safe to assume its american voiced, and when you see an EL type tube, you can assume its british, there are exceptions though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
but also, when you see a 6l6 is the stock tube in an amp, its safe to assume its american voiced, and when you see an EL type tube, you can assume its british, there are exceptions though.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering 'bout the Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special. It has EL's, but with all the Texas talk in the description, one would think it's American voiced.
Quote by chea_man

Blues Jr for example. American voiced EL84 amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, it comes with 6L6's. It does have a bias switch, to switch over to EL34's, though.

It is an American voiced amp.

I'm pretty sure the Classic comes with the 6l6's and the bias switch, not the Special.
the lonestar classic is american voiced, and the lonestar special, i beleive, is supposed to be slightly different and is more of a british voicing, however i dont imagine its a straight ahead british sound, but more of a blend of the two.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Hmmm, I see. I really need to test out the Special my GC has one of these days, but I just hate putting up with them.
No, tubes do not necessarily determine the voicing of the amp. Though, like said, it is usually safe to say that an amp that comes with EL-34s is more British voiced and 6L6s more American voiced.

However, an amp like the Mesa Mark IV is a more American voiced amp, but also has a bit of a vintage twist to it. Its tubes can also be mixed for a EL-34/6L6 setup, which does not make it sound any more British, like I was hoping. There are many amps like this, and amps that can be modded to do so as well.

Basically a tube just brings its characteristics with it, not so much a voicing. EL-34s have stronger mids and quicker breakup, whereas 6L6s have more headroom and are generally more associated as a "tighter" sounding tube.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, tubes do not necessarily determine the voicing of the amp. Though, like said, it is usually safe to say that an amp that comes with EL-34s is more British voiced and 6L6s more American voiced.

However, an amp like the Mesa Mark IV is a more American voiced amp, but also has a bit of a vintage twist to it. Its tubes can also be mixed for a EL-34/6L6 setup, which does not make it sound any more British, like I was hoping. There are many amps like this, and amps that can be modded to do so as well.

Basically a tube just brings its characteristics with it, not so much a voicing. EL-34s have stronger mids and quicker breakup, whereas 6L6s have more headroom and are generally more associated as a "tighter" sounding tube.

Sorry to be a bother, but what do you mean when you say the 6L6 is a tighter sounding tube?
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by syk3d
Sorry to be a bother, but what do you mean when you say the 6L6 is a tighter sounding tube?

They generally have a bigger and tighter bottom end.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com