So I decided today that my black strat sucked, and I wanted to do it up like EVH's. Not a terribly big fan of his stuff (though he's damn good), just really liked the raw look of his guitar.

Spent $12 at the hardware store for 5 sheets of mixed sandpaper, 2 rolls of masking tape, a spraycan of white, and a spraycan of clear.

I'm typing this with one hand atm, so I'll be brief; here's some pics.

Boring strat 2 hours ago.

Gutted, stupid Squire neck bolt stripped & wouldn't come out.

Scuffed up the finish w/ 180grit, cleaned w/ rubbing alcohol, and masked it best I could like his

One arm holding the strat, one arm spraying

I'm still holding it up till it dries more. Going to the bathroom was a very interesting experience with this thing.

Anyways, leave comments if you like. More pictures to come.
Last edited by Komet at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by LP Addict
hahahahahahaha. please tell me you didnt drop a deuce while holding that thing, that would be miserable.
Nah, it was #1.
Did u paint the neck?

Edit:nevermind I see what you did...looks like its gunna be cool
It's Cadillac rainbows and lots of spaghetti
And I love meatballs so you better be ready
you could drill/tap that neck screw out, it'd probably make life a bit easier for you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ML_Guitar09
You painted the black better right?
Nah, that would be less authentic:

Anyways, by the time I sand+clear, the scratches won't be very apparent. It's not supposed to look new anymore.
Quote by oneblackened
you could drill/tap that neck screw out, it'd probably make life a bit easier for you.
Yeah, if I decide to sink some real money into it, I'd drill out this neck, replace it with a maple one, and get a black pickguard.

Here's the final pic for the night, not sure when I'll have time to clear coat but it should be done in less than a week. This is my only electric and I need to play!

Update: after my wife found out I "ruined" my guitar, and I showed her the picture of the original, she said I was missing the black pickguard and that I should probably get a new one.

Just ordered this guy, she wouldn't go for a new maple neck, but I think the rosewood will look nice anyhow.
Looking good mate, I did three of these before, one is still in circulation and the other 2 were stripped back down, I did a mad yel/black one putting EVH into the tape and 5150 in the lines reversing in and out of the taped lines which was a bastard! to do, anyway I then went to put it back together and realized that the pick guard cover most of the E and part of the V so it was not recognizable as EVH any more!! dough! this was after clearing and sanding and polishing. LIVE and learn. Yours is shaping up mate, I look forward to seeing it finished. HAGO
damn why the hell is the wired pickguard so cheap? awesome. i might buy one for my strat.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
so to paint it you just used white spray paint?
Gear:

Gibson SG Special
Fender MIM Standard Strat (SSS)
Squire Bullet Strat
Marshall 6100LM
Vox DA5
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Quote by O.O.T SWIRLED
Looking good mate, I did three of these before, one is still in circulation and the other 2 were stripped back down, I did a mad yel/black one putting EVH into the tape and 5150 in the lines reversing in and out of the taped lines which was a bastard! to do, anyway I then went to put it back together and realized that the pick guard cover most of the E and part of the V so it was not recognizable as EVH any more!! dough! this was after clearing and sanding and polishing. LIVE and learn. Yours is shaping up mate, I look forward to seeing it finished. HAGO
Thanks, I spent about 45 minutes taping this one up. It was kind of annoying pulling it all off after paint because everything was white and I had forgotten which lines were on top of each other lol.

The more time I spent looking and wrapping, the more connections I made from front to back to make the stripes match up. I actually pulled up a few lines to make them match up after I noticed just how connected everything was. The lines appear very chaotic at first glace, but when you go to apply them, a lot of the larger lines are done with only a couple pieces of tape. I know I didn't do an exact job, but I was only after capturing the essence of the look anyhow.
Quote by apak
damn why the hell is the wired pickguard so cheap? awesome. i might buy one for my strat.
GFS wired pickguards are really good for the money. They're triple ply so they look nice, and the humbuckers are good quality. I didn't care for the single coils so much, but they did sound nicer than the ones that came in my Squire. My white pickguard needed trimming to fit, and the tip of the right horn was very slightly damaged, but it wasn't a big deal to me.
Quote by Lopez72
so to paint it you just used white spray paint?
Ace Hardware Premium Enamel. On sale for $2.49. The good stuff . I used Ace Hardware brand 1" masking tape, and they didn't have any thin masking tape but I found this "instant grout look tape" for putting on tile or something that was real thin, it's essentially masking tape but it's a little thicker. Worked for me.
Pickguard arrived today. Guitarfetish now ships their pickguards in two boxes instead of one, this pickguard arrived without damage (my first had the upper horn poke through the box and flatten it a little).

I'm happy with the results considering the money & effort put in. If I did it again I'd probably do a layer of black first, but it's not really a big deal.