We recently moved from Colorado to Indiana...I figured the guitars would go through a change moving from a very dry to a humid area.

I picked up my Epi Les Paul and except for being out of tune a bit no problem. However, my Strat is acting strange.

All the strings sound find when played open - however, the 1-3 strings (G-B-E) don't play right when fretted on the upper frets - I don't get any sound. So, for example, playing a open D chord - nothing comes out. When you get down below the 8th fret or so, it seems to sound o.k.

I checked action at 17th fret per Fender rec's - everything was o.k. (4/64 on treble and 5/64 on bass)..

Any ideas? Am I missing something stupid?
probably needs a truss rod adjustment. it sounds like it needs a bit of relief.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Strange things continue - it was about a month after these posts that I got a chance to take the guitar in to get looked at. Surprisingly, when I took it in, the strings played normal - no adjustment needed! The shop looked at it and handed it back to me! Said it was due to humidity change and guitar "settling"

Today, I changed the strings on it - the strings were looking discolored and I had no idea what gauge was on there (we bought it used). Got the fresh strings on it and guess what - the high 3 strings don't play right when fretted on the upper frets- sound normal when struck open and fretted on lower frets...same issue as before...

Does this sound like a truss rod issue?
Yeah, sounds like you need to either adjust the truss rod or the micro-tilt. I'd take it to a shop and have it re-looked at.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
There's a little hole in the back of where the neck bolts on to the body, you can do small adjustments to the pitch of the neck with an allen wrench.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play