I'm in the market for a new guitar, a Gibson Les Paul. The problem is that I have no idea which one to get! My budget is not limitless, so the most I could squeeze by is getting the Les Paul Classic for $2100. I was also thinking about the Studios, but I want a guitar that'll do me well for the rest of my guitar playing career. I was also thinking about buying a used guitar from the 70s-80s. Any suggestions? (other than get a knock off and that Gibsons are overpriced)

My current set up is an Epi Les paul and a B-52 AT100 halfstack (-_- bad choice I know).
I play everything except metal, mostly modern rock, pop-punk, emo and blues. I am going to sell my B-52 head and buy an AD30 or Rocker 30.
Last edited by trunks1504 at Aug 29, 2008,
$2100 is MORE than enough for a used Gibson. You can't go wrong with a standard. I'm not sure why you'd be thinking about those studios though...i've heard they quality isn't great and they're only getting worse.
Another question, how do the 70s-80s Standards fare against todays? In my mind, the older the better. But who knows, quality may have gone down a bit then.
It varies. Its just about finding the right one. There's no proof when people say that a certain time period produced good or bad Gibsons. Sometimes all it takes is a good set-up.
I agree with nightrain that it depends not so much on the era but the individual guitars. There is some truth to era-related quality levels for some companies. Regarding Gibson, I've seen their average quality level decline in the past few years and have seen several nice Gibsons from the 60's, 70's and 80's. My cousin had a '76 Les Paul Custom in wine red that was just beautiful, well made and setup properly. One of the best I've seen.
I just picked up an '05 mint condition un-chambered iced tea burst gibson lp standard for a little over $1600. It's a 50's neck which I like but might be the reason for the price as I think most prefer the 60's neck but it's an amazing guitar. There's deals to be had, just be patient and keep looking.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by pinksalmon
I just picked up an '05 mint condition un-chambered iced tea burst gibson lp standard for a little over $1600. It's a 50's neck which I like but might be the reason for the price as I think most prefer the 60's neck but it's an amazing guitar. There's deals to be had, just be patient and keep looking.

got any pics, i love Ice Tea LP
NOT an Epiphone Elitist, they just don't compare to the Gibsons. There seems to be quite a big thing going on about them, but a Gibson will feel so much better.

And a used Standard will be a good choice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Go with a used Standard. You could easily find a like new one on ebay for what you are willing to pay.

I am sure there are great guitars, to be found, from the 70s and 80s, but when people say old LP's they mean early 60s and before, and I am pretty sure there were some funky years during the 70s and 80s. Also, alot of them had three piece caps and necks, which isn't really even a LP.
I'd say go used, I played a '70s LP in a shop once for $2000 and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.
Dickless.
Yeah just make sure the Les Paul you buy, you absolutely love playing. It doesn't really matter what people say, just you cause its your guitar.

I've seen a bunch of Gibson Les Paul Standards from the mid 80s to 90s on my local craigslist, if you can look around yours.
the classics are my favorite gibson lp. Great pups, great tone, awesome playability.

but for 2100 also check out the PRS singlecuts/custom 22/24
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah